Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Shite like this needs binned. 

"The new variant I really worry about is the one that is out there that hasn't been spotted," Mr Hancock added.

That can't be a reason for keeping restrictions in place for an extended period, else we'll never get out of them.

Edited by Todd_is_God

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

34.8k per day now required to hit the 1.1m by mid-Feb.

Tick tock...

I think possible, Fife has published a long list of their mass vaccination stations that should be doing circa 5k a day presumably every health board should have that out. Then it's all down to supply, that old chestnut :lol:.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

"The new variant I really worry about is the one that is out there that hasn't been spotted," Mr Hancock added.

That can't be a reason for keeping restrictions in place for an extended period.

If it HASN'T been spotted then it's likely to be both asymptomatic, therefore unlikely to infect others and it is HASN'T been spotted it isn't killing or hospitalising those infected. Get this shit firmly in the bin.

The governments are becoming increasingly desperate and ham fisted in their messaging for compliance. One suspects the vaccines efficacy is showing to be disappointingly high for them.

This anti inflammatory... Is that being reported in the UK anywhere? Quick browse on BBC there and shock.... I didnt see anything about something that might help keep people alive

16 minutes ago, 101 said:

If it HASN'T been spotted then it's likely to be both asymptomatic, therefore unlikely to infect others and it is HASN'T been spotted it isn't killing or hospitalising those infected. Get this shit firmly in the bin.

Oversimplification of the issue I’m afraid.   As unpopular Hancock’s comments appear to be with yourself the issue he raised can’t simply be put in room 101.  Let me explain:

There may already be a variant of COVID that just just taken place and is still in the 10-14 days, and even longer, incubation period.  There are likely to be numerous variations of COVID taking place.  Any one of them has the potential to be far worse than we have already experienced.

Edited by Shadow Play

23 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

That can't be a reason for keeping restrictions in place for an extended period, else we'll never get out of them.

Aye this is complete pisschat. The likelihood is that there are thousands of viruses and variants out there that haven’t and won’t be spotted until they (maybe) make the jump from species/source X to humans. An utterly pointless puddle of pish and whataboutery that remark.

Matt Hancock...  😄

Edited by 8MileBU

8 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Oversimplification of the issue I’m afraid.   As unpopular Hancock’s comments appear to be with yourself the issue he raised can’t simply be put in room 101.  Let me explain:

There may already be a variant of COVID that just just taken place and is still in the 10-14 days, and even longer, incubation period.  There are likely to be numerous variations of COVID taking place.  Any one of them has the potential to be far worse than we have already experienced.

All very well, but we're talking about potentially keeping rather severe restrictions on people's lives far longer than required based on nothing more than a hypothetical scenario.

That isn't acceptable and, tbh, it's absolutely wild that you appear ok with it.

Edited by Todd_is_God

50 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Riots incoming in a few weeks/couple months if we’re all stuck inside having our lives restricted whilst hospital and death numbers are low. 

There will never be widespread civil unrest in the UK. We are a tubby compliant mass of blobs for the most part. If you can still get a Chinese delivered on a Saturday night to have while you watch Strictly Celebrity on Ice then that will do for most people.

23 hours ago, superbigal said:

Todays summary

Now accessed the other home nations for the cases per 100K latest.   These are a little behind the Scottish cases.  England 453.6,   Wales 279.1, Northern Ireland 335 all 3 dropping and now roughly in line with Scotland's drop rate.

For interest Portugal 725, Spain 502, Czech 500 are the big hitters.

Scotland peaked at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan    

From 14th to 20th January we were down to  190.9

Todays figure for 15th Jan to 21th Jan is 183.3     Another great single Day drop of 3.98%. Infections have dropped every day (now 17 days in a row) since the aforementioned peak.  Total drop is now 39.28%

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 

Go back to daily drops again to see how the councils are performing recently.

I do not think it is harsh to  say now that a couple of councils are still stubbornly high even in the height of a lockdown. Some sort of plan needs thrown at these area to allow the likes of Edinburgh with rates 60% lower, to come out of lockdown.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

North Lanarkshire  298.5 to 297.6   

Glasgow City     280.2 to 276.1 

Renfrewshire  292.6 to 260.7   Huge 10% drop.

East Ayrshire  265.6 to 243.4  Another big drop.

East Dunbartonshire    243.9 to 239.3 

Clackmannanshire 254.2 to 238.6   Again another good day.

South Lanarkshire  230.9 to 233.7  

North Ayrshire 249.4 to 233.0  Good day

West Dunbartonshire    227.1 to 222.6  

Inverclyde  228.8 to 217.2  

Dumfries & Galloway 222.4 to 206.2 

Falkirk    212.6 to 203.2  

South Ayrshire   204.2 to 197.1  

Dundee City 195.6 to 182.2  Another great day particularly for size of population.

East Renfrewshire  166.4 to 164.3 If this area is "rough" as indicated. Why do they stand head and shoulders above their neighbours ?

Aberdeen City   174.9 to 164.0   Same comments as Dundee

Angus  154.9 to 155.8 

Perth & Kinross   152.7 to 147.4

West Lothian   132.7 to 135.4

Stirling    151.8 to 134.8  Over 10% drop.

Scottish  Borders    128.1 to 133.3

Fife    135.7 to 128.2

Moray  134.6 to 125.2

Aberdeenshire   122.5 to 117.5

Midlothian    117.9 to 116.8 

City Of Edinburgh   117.0 to 110.3  Continues towards Level 2 infection rates.

Western Isles  164.7 to 108.5   Barra and South Uist reacted and dropping like a stone.

East Lothian   110.2 to 103.7  

Highlands  88.6 to 81.8   So low in the table and still with the only area in Scotland over 1000

Shetland Islands   74.2 to 74.2 

Argyll & Bute    62.9 to 64.1  

Orkney Island  35.9 to 44.9  

Edited by superbigal

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

All very well, but we're talking about potentially keeping rather severe restrictions on people's lives far longer than required based on nothing more than a hypothetic scenario.

That isn't acceptable.

I’m not debating the rights or wrong of restrictions.  I’m simply reminding people that what we have experienced so far may only be the tip of this pandemic.

Remember, when this all started there were people on here thinking fans would be back in the grounds for the start of the 2020/21 season or the October holidays at the latest.

16 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The governments are becoming increasingly desperate and ham fisted in their messaging for compliance. One suspects the vaccines efficacy is showing to be disappointingly high for them.

This anti inflammatory... Is that being reported in the UK anywhere? Quick browse on BBC there and shock.... I didnt see anything about something that might help keep people alive

Here is the link I read. So our EU friends not Blighty.

https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/150954/anti-inflammatory-drug-found-to-reduce-complications-linked-to-covid-19/

Just now, Shadow Play said:

I’m not debating the rights or wrong of restrictions.  I’m simply reminding people that what we have experienced so far may only be the tip of this pandemic.

Remember, when this all started there were people on here thinking fans would be back in the grounds for the start of the 2020/21 season or the October holidays at the latest.

Bin

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

All very well, but we're talking about potentially keeping rather severe restrictions on people's lives far longer than required based on nothing more than a hypothetical scenario.

That isn't acceptable.

Did he say that though? Because there could be a more dangerous variant out there, we will keep the restrictions in place? I don't think he did. This sounds more like 2+2=7 to me. 

The line, no matter how unpopular it is with the public, has been to prepare for measures to be in place well into the spring already has it not?... Well before any (ridiculously speculative) chat about new deadly variants. 

On that subject, it's surely just as likely there's a new, less harmful variant out there starting to infect people as we speak, so entirely pointless to mention it and frankly just grist to the mill of people who think the govt are fucking desperate to keep measures in ace indefinitely just for the fucking sake of it. 

4 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Did he say that though? Because there could be a more dangerous variant out there, we will keep the restrictions in place? I don't think he did. This sounds more like 2+2=7 to me. 

The line, no matter how unpopular it is with the public, has been to prepare for measures to be in place well into the spring already has it not?... Well before any (ridiculously speculative) chat about new deadly variants. 

On that subject, it's surely just as likely there's a new, less harmful variant out there starting to infect people as we speak, so entirely pointless to mention it and frankly just grist to the mill of people who think the govt are fucking desperate to keep measures in ace indefinitely just for the fucking sake of it. 

https://news.sky.com/story/still-a-long-long-way-until-lockdown-restrictions-can-be-lifted-matt-hancock-tells-sophy-ridge-on-sunday-12197246

There's absolutely no reason for Matt Hancock to say things like that to the press. It's pure scaremongering.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Well yes, I encountered someone on twitter yesterday who was getting stuck into Neil Ferguson because of his predictions, and his clever meme contained the info that, while 500k deaths had been predicted, we had only had 30k and the peak had passed. Halcyon days fo sho. 

6 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Todays summary

Now accessed the other home nations for the cases per 100K latest.   These are a little behind the Scottish cases.  England 453.6,   Wales 279.1, Northern Ireland 335 all 3 dropping and now roughly in line with Scotland's drop rate.

For interest Portugal 725, Spain 502, Czech 500 are the big hitters.

Scotland peaked at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan    So our peak is still lower than where the other nations currently stand.

From 14th to 20th January we were down to  190.9

Todays figure for 15th Jan to 21th Jan is 183.3     Another great single Day drop of 3.98%. Infections have dropped every day (now 17 days in a row) since the aforementioned peak.  Total drop is now 39.28%

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 

Go back to daily drops again to see how the councils are performing recently.

I do not think it is harsh to  say now that a couple of councils are still stubbornly high even in the height of a lockdown. Some sort of plan needs thrown at these area to allow the likes of Edinburgh with rates 60% lower, to come out of lockdown.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

North Lanarkshire  298.5 to 297.6   

Glasgow City     280.2 to 276.1 

Renfrewshire  292.6 to 260.7   Huge 10% drop.

East Ayrshire  265.6 to 243.4  Another big drop.

East Dunbartonshire    243.9 to 239.3 

Clackmannanshire 254.2 to 238.6   Again another good day.

South Lanarkshire  230.9 to 233.7  

North Ayrshire 249.4 to 233.0  Good day

West Dunbartonshire    227.1 to 222.6  

Inverclyde  228.8 to 217.2  

Dumfries & Galloway 222.4 to 206.2 

Falkirk    212.6 to 203.2  

South Ayrshire   204.2 to 197.1  

Dundee City 195.6 to 182.2  Another great day particularly for size of population.

East Renfrewshire  166.4 to 164.3 If this area is "rough" as indicated. Why do they stand head and shoulders above their neighbours ?

Aberdeen City   174.9 to 164.0   Same comments as Dundee

Angus  154.9 to 155.8 

Perth & Kinross   152.7 to 147.4

West Lothian   132.7 to 135.4

Stirling    151.8 to 134.8  Over 10% drop.

Scottish  Borders    128.1 to 133.3

Fife    135.7 to 128.2

Moray  134.6 to 125.2

Aberdeenshire   122.5 to 117.5

Midlothian    117.9 to 116.8 

City Of Edinburgh   117.0 to 110.3  Continues towards Level 2 infection rates.

Western Isles  164.7 to 108.5   Barra and South Uist reacted and dropping like a stone.

East Lothian   110.2 to 103.7  

Highlands  88.6 to 81.8   So low in the table and still with the only area in Scotland over 1000

Shetland Islands   74.2 to 74.2 

Argyll & Bute    62.9 to 64.1  

Orkney Island  35.9 to 44.9  

Some more good news as you again highlight. Just a hint too that the hospital numbers in Scotland are perhaps reaching plateau and even beginning to edge down.  🤞

Daily trends

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

14 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

See if a new variant was found with an incubation period of say 20 days that was as deadly as the original strain. I don't think we would do much to control it and just let the vaccines protect those who need protecting I doubt there would be any public compliance with the full 20 days and it's therefore pointless. 20 days could be on the cusp but say it's longer than that not a chance you would get folk sat in their house not leaving for any reason for 25/30/35/40 days. Is there a ceiling of how long a virus can incubate for? Could we see a strain that kills hosts instantly after 365 days?

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Right, so like I said, according to that, he didn't specifically say that a new scary undiscovered variant is the reason we he doesn't think restrictions will be lifted anytime soon. 

Thanks for posting. 

Did Wales (NI?) not announce the other day we'll be abdomen deep in March before their restrictions will even be considered ti be lifted? They definitely didn't say the reason for this is there migut be scary new variants out there. 

3 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Right, so like I said, according to that, he didn't specifically say that a new scary undiscovered variant is the reason we he doesn't think restrictions will be lifted anytime soon.

Granted, no, but just like has been pointed out numerous times when people like Jason Leitch say things, it gives an insight into their thinking.

We don't need the planting of seeds for potential further goalpost shifting in the future.

Edited by Todd_is_God