Coronavirus (COVID-19)

37 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

We shouldn’t have to prioritise one thing over another. If something is deemed safe enough for up to 1000 people to do 5 days a week then it should be deemed safe to watch sports or go to a barbers for a couple of hours every fortnight

There are loads of things that in isolation are 'safe' if carried out in a certain manner, but everything you open carries a small amount of risk even if done right so the more you open, the more you increase the overall risk of transmission.

That's why things get prioritised. It's not that schools are inherently safer than going to football.

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

All that said, most countries throughout the world have followed similar templates which just shows that incompetence, like the virus, doesn't recognise borders !!

Nearly 8,000 Scottish residents have died, 38% of those were in care homes. Questions need to be asked and pointing to global incompetence won't cut it. 

When folk are vaccinated an enquiry should be ramped up and the consequences dealt with.

Posted at 13:5813:58

'Is the PM seriously suggesting people should go abroad?'

image.gif.83ff22e8bebc73e92eeb29e9d684416d.gif
Parliament TVCopyright: Parliament TV

The SNP's health spokeswoman asks if the government will force UK arrivals from anywhere in the world to quarantine in a bid to stop the spread of new coronavirus variants.

Philippa Whitford says the current restrictions on arrivals from only "red list" countries are tantamount to "shutting the barn door after the horse has bolted".

She asks Matt Hancock to "reconsider the very minimal quarantine plan to extend to all incoming travellers".

She says: "As new strains brought in through holiday travel last year contributed to the second wave of coronavirus, is the PM seriously suggesting people should go abroad on holiday this summer?"

Hancock says: "We've already put in place rules against all non-essential travel with clear stay local guidance and mandatory isolation for new arrivals."

He says Whitford failed to mention "the fact that the vaccination programme is rolling out so rapidly across the whole UK, that we are able to protect people against the old variant and the variant first discovered in Kent which is the most widespread".

"That is the way we will get out of this situation," he says.

F*** off Whitford you fucking clown.

image.gif

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Nearly 8,000 Scottish residents have died, 38% of those were in care homes. Questions need to be asked and pointing to global incompetence won't cut it. 

When folk are vaccinated an enquiry should be ramped up and the consequences dealt with.

Utter and complete nonsense.

The virus targets the elderly and weak which, I hate to break to you, is WHY care homes are / were bearing the brunt.

Look at care home deaths throught the world and then come back to me.

Thanks.

53.7% percentage increase on last Monday. England and Wales both saw % increases too but Wales was next highest at 25%. 

Mondays have generally been relatively low for weekdays so this is good news. Hopefully get 40k+ at least 3 times this week.

2 minutes ago, Elixir said:

F*** off Whitford you fucking clown.

When even Matt Hancock is suggesting foreign summer holidays are a slight possibility due to the vaccine program, then I'd be inclined to suggest the SG's position on them is at extreme odds to what the UK Gov would like to see happen, to support the travel and tourism industry if nothing else.

54 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I know we were all big on wording yesterday. Seemingly it "could" evade the immune system. 

This is why the government needs to get a grip on this and keep people informed, rather than reactively announcing these things. There must be hundreds of varients of the damn thing. 

They're saying may and could because its a preliminary finding from a study that hasn't been peer-reviewed. So far the evidence hasn't been completely confirmed and its a small sample size, so it's been reported with caveats. The use of may and could explicitly tells us there's some doubt, and we're all smart enough to understand that, and read the article in that context. 

I do think this information needs to be reported, especially in the context that the vaccines were enough to kill it in over 80s, but once the second dose is administered.

This whole situation is pretty fast moving, but I'd rather they reported this stuff as we were finding it out, rather than wait say a couple of weeks to ensure they can use "does" instead of "may" and "will" instead of "could". 

Given the context that we've decided to rush through jag number one and delay number two to get more people the initial immunity, this is important information that's in the public interest. Loads of us have elderly relatives (or are elderly) who have had jag one and we're relieved about that - so news that might cast doubt on the wisdom the govt's plan to delay second jags is pretty important - especially considering Hancock was suggesting not too long ago they might not even manage number two within 12 weeks. 

Again it might be comforting or feel clever to attribute every bit of not so good news as some kind of nefarious scheme to keep us all on our toes, but bad news does happen (we're in the middle of a pandemic that's killed over 100k people in this country ffs and our lives have changed massively for the worse over the course of the last 12 months) so I don't know what people are wanting. 

Whoever mentioned Karl Sikora yesterday is bang on the money. 

Edit: @Michael W the entirety of this post wasn't meant to be specifically aimed at you. Apologies for the quote 

Screenshot_20210202-140409_Chrome.jpg

Edited by madwullie

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

When even Matt Hancock is suggesting foreign summer holidays are a slight possibility due to the vaccine program, then I'd be inclined to suggest the SG's position on them is at extreme odds to what the UK Gov would like to see happen, to support the travel and tourism industry if nothing else.

Ultimately the ball is in the UK Government's court, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm thankful for that. If travel gets the go ahead south of the border, the Scottish Government will be forced to acquiesce.

4 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Ultimately the ball is in the UK Government's court, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm thankful for that. If travel gets the go ahead south of the border, the Scottish Government will be forced to acquiesce.

Hancock has given about 4 different parts of the year when things will be better and folk still cling on to anything he says...it will be pretty funny tbh when in july he will be telling us that it will be better at xmas and everybody gets all excited again 

13 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Utter and complete nonsense.

The virus targets the elderly and weak which, I hate to break to you, is WHY care homes are / were bearing the brunt.

Look at care home deaths throught the world and then come back to me.

Thanks.

New Zealand have had 25 dead in total. Iceland 29. Singapore, a fucking travel hub for the whole of Asia, has 29. Thailand, 79. There are plenty of examples of countries who took a drastic approach to begin with to protect their vulnerable. We literally sent them back home with a virus we knew would kill them. 

23 hours ago, superbigal said:

Todays Headlines   .  Are we out of lockdown as I write this ? No Scotgov kicked the can down the road for another fortnight.

England 309.5 to 294.2 down 4.94%,  Wales 162.2 to 153.0 down 5.67%, Northern Ireland 235.3 to 225.5 down 4.16% All nations now below where Scotland peaked.

Scotland peaked at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan    

Yesterdays figure 23rd Jan to 29th Jan was 136.2

Todays figure for 24th Jan to 30th Jan is 133.5   Another  single Day drop of 1.98%. Infections have dropped every day (now TWENTY SIX days in a row) since the aforementioned peak.  Total drop is now 55.78%

Council 24 hour progress below

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 

https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

North Lanarkshire  225.6 to 213.0     

Glasgow City 208.3 to 205.2

South Lanarkshire  189.7 to 194.1

North Ayrshire 201.1 to 187.0  Down 7.01% and again back through 200 barrier   

Renfrewshire 171.4 to 173.1

East Renfrewshire  164.3 to 172.7   

West Dunbartonshire 170.9 to 170.9

East Dunbartonshire  169.4 to 169.4

Falkirk  157.3 to 164.7    

East Ayrshire 179.5 to 162.3 Down 9.58%

Clackmannanshire 153.3 to 159.1 

Inverclyde 144.0 to 145.2