Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Mr Shapps told Today it was "too soon" for people to be booking breaks abroad.

"First of all, I should say, people shouldn't be booking holidays right now - not domestically or internationally," he said.

Can someone explain why it's any concern whatsoever of the Governments whether or not people CHOOSE to book a holiday, whether that be domestic or foreign ???

Are they trying to put hospitality and aviation completely out of business ?? or do they just want the  complete nanny state / dictatorship ???

Just now, WATTOO said:

"First of all, I should say, people shouldn't be booking holidays right now - not domestically or internationally," he said.

Can someone explain why it's any concern whatsoever of the Governments whether or not people CHOOSE to book a holiday, whether that be domestic or foreign ???

Are they trying to put hospitality and aviation completely out of business ?? or do they just want the  complete nanny state / dictatorship ???

I wouldn't worry.

Screenshot_20210210-105041.jpg

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Because in 4/5 months time the same idiots who booked holidays are going to start crying when they are forced to claim for refunds. The airlines/holiday companies are then naturally going to blame the government for the false promise of allowing international travel. They are simply covering themselves. Common sense.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

I agree, I think they have learnt the lesson from over promising at Christmas. They are dialing down the excitement but they will know once there is no pressure on the NHS the restrictions will cease to be.

"ex restrictions" as it were

30 minutes ago, 101 said:

Surely it's just the dominant most resistant strains that are left? Shouldn't be a problem unless the mutant in such a way that the vaccine is no longer effective, saying the virus is pressured makes it should like it chooses it's mutations but unless I'm mistaken it's just luck and the best mutations spread the fastest, but if the host isn't transmitting the virus as they are vaccinated then it's not something we have to worry about.

Hard to make a direct comparison to seasonal flu as the covid vaccine is twice as good as the usual flu vaccine.

Don't get me wrong, I obviously hope we can reduce this virus through vaccination to being even less of a background threat than seasonal influenza. Or eventually, once populations have been exposed and recovered, it simply becomes another common cold strain.

12 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Because in 4/5 months time the same idiots who booked holidays are going to start crying when they are forced to claim for refunds. The airlines/holiday companies are then naturally going to blame the government for the false promise of allowing international travel. They are simply covering themselves. Common sense.

No, if that was the case then they'd simply ban aviation and hospitality from taking bookings, surely that would be simpler and would then stop in the tracks anyone booking anything ??

Anyway, I've got loads booked for this coming year and indeed next as would anyone with half a brain who sees a good deal on a "free cancellation", "pay on arrival" basis. Totally no risk involved and very little hassle.

The bottom line is that it's not the place of government to tell general public what they should and shouldn't do while allowing business to operate as normal, mixed messages as usual along the lines of "don't go abroad on holiday" yet not actually stopping anyone and still accepting flights daily ??

9 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Don't get me wrong, I obviously hope we can reduce this virus through vaccination to being even less of a background threat than seasonal influenza. Or eventually, once populations have been exposed and recovered, it simply becomes another common cold strain.

That would certainly be the best outcome, it would piss on the fires of hysteria. 

Place your bets on how long it will take for the express or mail to run the front page "Mutant Flu" 

7 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

No, if that was the case then they'd simply ban aviation and hospitality from taking bookings, surely that would be simpler and would then stop in the tracks anyone booking anything ??

Anyway, I've got loads booked for this coming year and indeed next as would anyone with half a brain who sees a good deal on a "free cancellation", "pay on arrival" basis. Totally no risk involved and very little hassle.

The bottom line is that it's not the place of government to tell general public what they should and shouldn't do while allowing business to operate as normal, mixed messages as usual along the lines of "don't go abroad on holiday" yet not actually stopping anyone and still accepting flights daily ??

That would be the government(s) taking responsibility, which they don't want to do as then they can be held accountable for a decision.  No outright ban = no responsibility which in theory leads to no accountability.  By producing or endorsing woolly "advice" they can simply say "told you not to do it".

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

That would be the government(s) taking responsibility, which they don't want to do as then they can be held accountable for a decision.  No outright ban = no responsibility which in theory leads to no accountability.  By producing or endorsing woolly "advice" they can simply say "told you not to do it".

Yes, this is true.

What the idiot should have said was along the lines of, "we can't tell anyone what the situation will be in July or August etc and anyone booking anything should be aware that they may be unable to travel"

That is a completely different message to, "you shouldn't be booking holidays either domestically or abroad".

My fault though, I should have made allowances for the fact that it was Shapps......

8 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I agree it would be easy to ban them from taking bookings. I don't know for certain but the government may not have the powers to prevent them from taking bookings.

The government 100% can tell the general public not to travel if there is good reason for doing so. If they didn't do so then god knows how bad things would be. 

Its absolutely mind boggling that people are so desperate to get abroad just for a holiday. Getting day to day life back to normal is a much bigger priority for everybody.

1 minute ago, latapythelegend said:

I agree it would be easy to ban them from taking bookings. I don't know for certain but the government may not have the powers to prevent them from taking bookings.

The government 100% can tell the general public not to travel if there is good reason for doing so. If they didn't do so then god knows how bad things would be. 

Its absolutely mind boggling that people are so desperate to get abroad just for a holiday. Getting day to day life back to normal is a much bigger priority for everybody.

If there is no travel for the entirety of 2021 there will be people who haven't seen their kids or parents for 2 years. There was a guy on here saying his old man might not be able to get back for his grandad's funeral.

It's not my number 1 priority but it's not "mind boggling" that other people can have different priorities and "priority for everybody" might be different.

2 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

There's the problem though, to many people "getting abroad" is their only treat in life and what they all look forward to. Some might find this strange but others would find it equally strange that some people are only interested in pubs opening, or going to a concert, or a meal out with friends, going to the football etc.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, The Moonster said:
When arriving from a red list country surely, rather than any Scottish passenger arriving whatsoever?

In Scotland it's any passenger regardless of departure country bar UK and Ireland

Your point is correct but the question was about people arriving in England.

6 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

If there is no travel for the entirety of 2021 there will be people who haven't seen their kids or parents for 2 years. There was a guy on here saying his old man might not be able to get back for his grandad's funeral.

It's not my number 1 priority but it's not "mind boggling" that other people can have different priorities and "priority for everybody" might be different.

Yet another astounding lack of understanding and empathy. All anyone ever mentions is “you just want a holiday” and ignores the far more important issues like you’ve mentioned above. It’s easy for people like me to ignore rules if it comes to it and drive down to see my family, but for those who need to travel internationally they are forced to comply.

4 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

That's why I said holiday. It's hard not to feel sympathetic for those type of situations. However there is no way we should be pandering to the ones who see a fortnight in Benidorm as a necessity. If it means some folk spend a week on a caravan holiday self contained in a country where the majority are vaccinated then it's still a holiday.