Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Leitch can genuinely go take himself to f**k. If vaccines prove to be effective then get things opened up. This isnt living. 
Nah im not going to vote for the SNP in may if this is the rhetoric coming from them. 

You can't open up to places that haven't been vaccinated though. 

Edited by Detournement

6 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Nothing, seems like it can mutate anywhere and if one was to start while thousands of uk tourists were there then it could be a huge problem.

Maybe if testing and identifying new strains worldwide was ramped up then this could be a solution? Can’t see normal holidays or normal uk this year due to previous examples of fuckwittery tbh.

All viruses mutate, constantly. Mutations are the reason why a different flu vaccine is needed every year. And why a "booster" vaccine is talked about being needed in autumn for old folk for COViD. 

We need to start thinking about COVID in a completely different way. COVID19 will be around as long as humans exist, and so will its mutations. So we will be balancing risk with regards to COVID all the time . 

I have to admit, I like the candour of Jason' contributions, you can bet your boots that the Witty's of this world will have a similar message that they rejig to fit Boris's narrative. 

We're still only reacting to covid rather than having a plan going forward, don't see that changing as we're tied to the Westminster people pleasers.

7 hours ago, Erih Shtrep said:

If you've never heard a word of Leitch how would you know you're fortunate?   

People used to say to me don't watch that Jane Godley.  Then I watched her and she's the funniest thing ever.   

You had me until this bit PB 😂

Incredibly hard to remain positive just now with all of the rhetoric around regarding continued restrictions beyond the vaccine being rolled out. I wonder when things get to a point where vaccines will have an effect but not the desired effect and governments have to accept this and open things up regardless. Surely the long term damage to the economy, people’s mental health and well-being and so many industries can only be extended to a point before it becomes untenable. I accept that there’s a need for a sense of caution coming out of this but the thought that this summer will be more restricted than last summer is baffling

Here's what gets me. Leitch won't be the one making these decisions, he's just gormless enough, and too keen to hear his own voice, to share them.
So who is making them?
If it is to be the case that, despite us being well into an extensive vaccine roll out by the start of February, that we have to pretty much write off 2021 with little more than some "greater domestic normality" then I really want to know why, and I want it scrutinised within an inch of its life. By the sounds of it we are going to have less freedoms post vaccine roll out than we had last summer when there was no vaccine.
I'm fucking livid at their approach here. Complete abuse of power.
It's the job of the opposition parties to scrutinise government policy. Despite frequent mewling from Tank girl, Baillie etc about nuances, they back the stance of the asG pretty much on approach. There has been very little outright opposition to any measures up to now.

7 hours ago, Erih Shtrep said:

I suspect many who don't like Leitch do so because he looks so much better in a suit-shirt-tie combo, 

Big fan of the T-shirt visible under the open necked shirt tbf. Especially in this weather. I have a Teams this morning and it’s white under a Tyrwhitt Egyptian cotton (4 for £80) mauve for me today.

16 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56000840

Going to need 70% - 80% vaccinated before restrictions lifted.

Is that not what we've been saying on here?

Yes, but just for clarity they’ve said “fully lifted” so should be able to largely scale back restrictions well before that point.

14 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56000840

Going to need 70% - 80% vaccinated before restrictions lifted.

Is that not what we've been saying on here?

Dr Michael McBride said he believed some restrictions could be in place "into next year".

Speaking at a media briefing on Tuesday, Dr McBride said new variants mean "it is difficult to predict".

"It's really important that we ease restrictions gradually," he said.

"We need to be realistic that the current restrictions that we have in place will be in place for a significant part of this year to a greater or lesser extent and into next year as well."

Dr McBride said if the rate of case numbers keeps falling, "we will hopefully be able to do some things this summer like we did last summer".

'Restrictions into next year' :lol: 

Dangling last summer in front of people as if it's some sort of Holy Grail. :lol: 

These people were almost universally bullied at school.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

'Restrictions into next year' :lol: 

Dangling last summer in front of people as if it's some sort of Holy Grail. :lol: 

These people were almost universally bullied at school.

I didn't actually read it, just clocked the headline! :lol:

ETA: 

"The briefing heard that almost all care homes in NI and those aged over 80 have had their second vaccination.

Patricia Donnelly, who heads up NI's vaccine programme said about 345,000 vaccines have been administered to date, with 317,000 of them being first doses."

That's good, but I would have thought we would have more than 28,000 care home residents, maybe not.

Edited by Jacksgranda

11 hours ago, Binos said:

Even so

Relaxing on a grand scale for 1 day has had very stark effects

They will be extremely nervous about relaxing now. 

It was a lot more than a day - "officially" it may only have been a day.

9 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Classic Leitch on Scotland Tonight .

People "need to get their head round" that the "trade off" for a "little bit more normality at home this year" is going to be "no overseas travel".

Be interesting to see if that is a cross party stance come May's election as that's pretty strong language. Unbelievably the interviewer just giggled and cracked wee funnies with him throughout. He had her eating out the palm of his hand.

He also described the way he thinks people should view vaccination as "just another treatment, a preventive measure rather than a cure"

Adult Conversation!