Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, true_rover said:
8 minutes ago, Binos said:
There was still over 1000 deaths in the UK today
Many presumably from the Christmas relaxation
I can't see them relaxing anything until many more are vaccinated

Reported deaths are different from actual deaths - the peak number of deaths in this wave is likely to have happened on the 19th of Jan with 1,404 registered by the 29th. Some of the numbers might increase slightly but we are passed that particular peak.

Even so

Relaxing on a grand scale for 1 day has had very stark effects

They will be extremely nervous about relaxing now. 

2 minutes ago, true_rover said:
9 minutes ago, Binos said:
There was still over 1000 deaths in the UK today
Many presumably from the Christmas relaxation
I can't see them relaxing anything until many more are vaccinated

Reported deaths are different from actual deaths - the peak number of deaths in this wave is likely to have happened on the 19th of Jan with 1,404 registered by the 29th. Some of the numbers might increase slightly but we are passed that particular peak.

We’re past all the peaks that matter.  Deaths is the last one but case numbers and hospitalisations are well past their peak.

11 minutes ago, Binos said:

Even so

Relaxing on a grand scale for 1 day has had very stark effects

They will be extremely nervous about relaxing now. 

Totally different situation now and in the future.  A large scale vaccination roll-out has shifted those goalposts.

whether it changes government(s) attitudes who knows, but according to some scientists it should.

Edited by Left Back

We’re past all the peaks that matter.  Deaths is the last one but case numbers and hospitalisations are well past their peak.
One thing that has been slower to fall is the number of people actually in hospital, but this is partly because people are staying longer than previously rather than dying.

4 minutes ago, true_rover said:
17 minutes ago, Left Back said:

One thing that has been slower to fall is the number of people actually in hospital, but this is partly because people are staying longer than previously rather than dying.

Don’t disagree but it’s still well past the peak.

53 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Who'd've thunk it? A drug that helps you breathe would be good for a condition that might restrict your breathing. These Quacks have been at it for a year.

We'll probably not bother throwing it at patients for another year while waiting on extra trials though, because drumming your fingers until peer-review/they land up in hospital is the only ethical option when shovelling the country's wealth onto a bonfire to contain a pandemic.

Edited by vikingTON

Unless the South African variant has taken hold in Europe by the summer, I don't see the rationale for refusing travel to the likes of France, Italy or Spain etc. That's overkill. Unless there's a terrible European variant on the go, we can't just keep muttering on about variants as an excuse to deny travel when other measures are also available and are more proportionate. 
There are a number of other possible problems with travel also that the UK has no control over - mandatory PCR testing, proof of vaccination etc. Don't be surprised if the people we were locked down to protect are ironically the only ones that can travel for a couple of months. 
Call me cynical but by being so pessimistic they will make it sound like world-breaking news when they do open up earlier than they are saying.

I wouldn’t book any travel at the moment, not because the government says so but becuase practically it’s a nightmare, i still have to go to work, where if i catch covid in run up to going away I’d have to isolate and therefore cancel.
Then if the travel was abroad i could get tested on arrival and if positive end up in quarantine potentially for longer than I planned on being away and then have to get home at my own expense and then do another quarantine when i get back
Or the goalposts could be changed whilst I’m away and end up with a 1500 pound bill for some shity airport hotel
Nah , no thanks
I'm looking at October at he earliest, not only due to our own personal situation (wife needs more surgery then radiotherapy), but the reality that even if they do relax travel restrictions some resorts will still be limited in what they provide.

We rolled last year’s cancelled holiday with TUI over to this year because they were offering extra bonuses/upgrades.   I’d imagine there will be a lot of that 80% who are in the same category.
We took the money - because even after getting 20% extra with vouchers the holidays were still way more than we paid.

Also having had 3 out of 4 longer holidays cancelled in the last year and a half (2 with Covid - to Costa Rica and Turkey; the other to Tunisia with Thomas Cook) we don't fancy going through the rigmarole of booking only to wait ages on them paying back.

10 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Neil Ferguson still being given air time on Sky news with the “but variants” patter.

Has he ever been proven to be right about anything?

Aye he was right when he thought he could get his married bird to visit him for a shag during first lockdown and yet still somehow retain a position of undue influence.

Optimistic but grounded article from Andrew Pollard from a few days ago: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/04/vaccines-covid-virus-mutate-years

However, ongoing transmission of new variants is likely to occur both in naturally infected and vaccinated populations for years to come. New mutations allow ongoing infection in the nose and throat so that the virus can survive. Coronaviruses are very common in humans, and almost all of us will have had coronavirus infections in childhood, but we still get reinfected and develop “colds” with them throughout life. This is a very likely future pattern for the pandemic coronavirus.

If protection against severe disease and hospitalisation can be sustained in the future through the current generation of vaccines, we may well have contained the problem of pressures on our health systems, and the end of the pandemic, in that sense, could be in sight.

1 minute ago, Tynierose said:

He's an absolute thundercunt.  Another slavering shite.  Niall there is an outbreak of whatever disease on Vulcan, the population is 10m,   well says Niall I can forsee 30m deaths at least.  Dick.

Never mind that. How long have you known an asthma inhaler cures covid? Don't lie!

26 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Neil Ferguson still being given air time on Sky news with the “but variants” patter.

Has he ever been proven to be right about anything?

Wee Neil thinks we'll have herd immunity by the end of the year: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9130575/Neil-Ferguson-says-herd-immunity-achieved-UK-end-year.html

8 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

These days, if you publically claim a company is operated as a scam (criminal) enterprise with no supporting evidence, you'll be arrested and thrown in jail.

That this is treated as a free speech issue is, frankly, stupid

My uncle knows a boy who was thrown in jail for saying he was English

So far today we've had the Hancock Doom & Gloom statement followed by the Sridhar Doom and Gloom interview, so while all that's been going on we've also got,

Travel company Tui has said it expects to run 80% of its normal capacity for this summer, with 2.8 million customers already booked for its holidays.

The statement follows optimism from other travel firms that the industry is set for recovery as coronavirus vaccination programmes advance.

Well, they can't all be right !!!

Would be interesting to know what percentage of those bookings are new ones, and how many were rearranged from last year.

Classic Leitch on Scotland Tonight .

People "need to get their head round" that the "trade off" for a "little bit more normality at home this year" is going to be "no overseas travel".

Be interesting to see if that is a cross party stance come May's election as that's pretty strong language. Unbelievably the interviewer just giggled and cracked wee funnies with him throughout. He had her eating out the palm of his hand.

He also described the way he thinks people should view vaccination as "just another treatment, a preventive measure rather than a cure"