Coronavirus (COVID-19)

You're delusional because you think people can ignore the public advisors who are on TV on a daily basis "suggesting" what our strategy might be. You don't "pretty much disregard" everything they say, considering you're on here defending their almost every word. 
I am not in the habit of defending either of the two, I am wholeheartedly against zero Covid and eradication. No idea what gave you the impression that I was in favour of their policies. It's that very reason why I don't go actively seeking their nonsense. I have little option in here given it's regurgitated verbatim. I was more referring to reading their social media outlets which I totally choose to ignore.

I’ve not read in any great detail about this latest incarnation of the “zero covid” utopia. Surely they’re not advocating lockdowns/tiers for the long haul? Why not just go the whole hog and try for zero cold/flu/norovirus as well 🙄 

Honest to fck if people want to go down that route then let them stay indoors watching Netflix all day and being afraid of their own shadow, but let the majority of us get back to living rather than just existing 

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I am not in the habit of defending either of the two, I am wholeheartedly against zero Covid and eradication. No idea what gave you the impression that I was in favour of their policies. 

Mate, I've read the whole thread lol. You don't need to be in favour of their every policy to defend them to the hilt. As proven by your need to tell folk to stop abusing them and ignore them instead - even when you can't defend the point they're making you try and divert the abuse they are due. 

13 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I am not in the habit of defending either of the two, I am wholeheartedly against zero Covid and eradication. No idea what gave you the impression that I was in favour of their policies. It's that very reason why I don't go actively seeking their nonsense. I have little option in here given it's regurgitated verbatim. I was more referring to reading their social media outlets which I totally choose to ignore.

That is absolute garbage. You’ve defended them incredibly regularly throughout the entirety of the thread.

Mate, I've read the whole thread lol. You don't need to be in favour of their every policy to defend them to the hilt. As proven by your need to tell folk to stop abusing them and ignore them instead - even when you can't defend the point they're making you try and divert the abuse they are due. 
I really am not, that's your take. Post a few examples of me lauding them ? I'm 100% against zero Covid and eradication which if I'm not mistaken is the policy they would like to pursue.

My take on this is that the “elimination strategy” is a non starter for economic reasons amongst other things. This is one of those things that will tick the consultation box and then we’ll move on to the real world of making (cautious) progress out of this. The fact that Leitch is already publicly emphasising the huge downsides of such a strategy isn’t an accident.

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

They clearly won't.  Can you imagine the scene of Sturgeon announcing at the next review we're going to pursue zero covid.

Yes we have vaccines, yes we have treatments but we're putting you into a lockdown that will be worse than last spring and will last for longer than last spring.  We'll be shutting the borders and you won't be allowed out for at least another year, or probably longer and this includes travel to other parts of the UK as well until the whole world is vaccinated.

Zero covid sailed long ago.  It would be political suicide to try and pursue it now.

Political suicide anywhere else apart from Scotland. NS knows she has free reign to do absolutely anything she wishes and her party would still win by a landslide. 

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I really am not, that's your take. Post a few examples of me lauding them ? I'm 100% against zero Covid and eradication which if I'm not mistaken is the policy they would like to pursue.

Sorry m8, apparently I've not to actively seek out Leitch and Sridhar material.

I still find it incredibly unsettling that NS doesn't appear to think that reducing hospitalisations and deaths to pretty much zero through an extensive vaccination programme isn't enough, and would still place a huge focus on cases once we get there.

Talk of going back in to lockdown next winter if "cases" go back up is a major red flag IMO.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Political suicide anywhere else apart from Scotland. NS knows she has free reign to do absolutely anything she wishes and her party would still win by a landslide. 

I wholeheartedly agree she'd have to work very hard not to win the election.  I think the above is one of the few things that could stop her.

6 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

The fact that Leitch is already publicly emphasising the huge downsides of such a strategy isn’t an accident.

They are probably already setting up another Citizens Assembly which will report back in July it that unanimously backs managed suppression

I still find it incredibly unsettling that NS doesn't appear to think that reducing hospitalisations and deaths to pretty much zero through an extensive vaccination programme isn't enough, and would still place a huge focus on cases once we get there.
Talk of going back in to lockdown next winter if "cases" go back up is a major red flag IMO.
The big nursey woman today used the "new post Covid normal " line again today. To me that's telling.

8 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
11 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Leitch won't say one way or another he just comes on says it's possible but would be problematic and goes away again. He's not making decisions so I have no idea why the news outlets keep having him on his "contribution" to debate should be given by the health correspondent.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

Did she say that today? I caught a little bit of it today which seemed unusually upbeat (by her standards). 

Luckily, they are starting to go the right way too.

Today’s figures are almost universally good. I hope this focuses the mind of the SG, esp given the fall in care homes where we can see the impact of vaccination working. I know someone (hopefully facetiously) wondered whether this was due to the “at risk” people having died - care homes are constantly “topped up” with new at risk people. The drop they are seeing is far higher than in the community, and at younger age groups. Given they were done first, and we are now 3 weeks or so past a big chunk having been done, I’m really hopeful that we will see a massive fall by the end of this month / midway through March.