Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

This is the big problem here, in the sense that you want the ability to prove you are vaccinated but in turn you don't want tons of personal data to be needed to do that.

I'm not sure what they are going to do with the app, if you know the SNP they'll probably try and link anything we do to the pan European system. I'm not particularly against that - if only because it'll annoy the tories.

Problem is see if you are transitioning, even your name could be potentially upsetting or difficult to explain why it's different to the one you use or even "look like". Would have been good to have it linked to the app with just a plain QR code but that might have cost a fortune I'm not sure.

I know I joked about my second Moderna hitting me hard. But holy mother of Christ.

I woke up freezing and shaking totally uncontrollably and quite violently (I couldn't actually hold a glass of water without splashing it everywhere) and was struggling for breath at about 2am (got my vaccine at 6 last night). It was like when you get into a freezing swimming pool and your breath is taken away a bit - except this was for about 15 minutes.

Took some pills, got wrapped up in a blanket and a duvet and went back to bed. Only to wake up an hour later absolutely roasting. Took the blanket off...and an hour later I was frozen again. I felt dizzy, sick and my vision had gone all migrainey so I couldn't really concentrate on anything. Eventually chucked up when I got out of bed for the first time, went back to sleep after taking some more pills...and woke up just there feeling a bit better.

If we're getting Covid jabs every year I shall be swerving the Moderna. 

1 minute ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I know I joked about my second Moderna hitting me hard. But holy mother of Christ.

I woke up freezing and shaking totally uncontrollably and quite violently (I couldn't actually hold a glass of water without splashing it everywhere) and was struggling for breath at about 2am (got my vaccine at 6 last night). It was like when you get into a freezing swimming pool and your breath is taken away a bit - except this was for about 15 minutes.

Took some pills, got wrapped up in a blanket and a duvet and went back to bed. Only to wake up an hour later absolutely roasting. Took the blanket off...and an hour later I was frozen again. I felt dizzy, sick and my vision had gone all migrainey so I couldn't really concentrate on anything. Eventually chucked up when I got out of bed for the first time, went back to sleep after taking some more pills...and woke up just there feeling a bit better.

If we're getting Covid jabs every year I shall be swerving the Moderna. 

Thing is, if you need another jag you'd  likely have fewer side-effects of the Moderna next time around as your body has the antibodies all sitting in the garage ready to roll. If you change, you might get hit just as bad. 

Just now, 101 said:

Problem is see if you are transitioning, even your name could be potentially upsetting or difficult to explain why it's different to the one you use or even "look like". Would have been good to have it linked to the app with just a plain QR code but that might have cost a fortune I'm not sure.

I think we all accept that the QR/passport/app/paper copy/etc all have issues. At present I think it's more just covering the most people we can.

I'm sure someone could correct me here, but if you are transitioning don't the NHS change your details to reflect the "new status" (for lack of a better term) and part of that would be the name? I can't imagine if, for example, you were christened 'George' and you transitioned to 'Gemma' your doctor and the NHS letters would continue to refer to the "old name".

3 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

This isn't a counter post, more just an anecdote like yours.

I got the AZ vaccine, twice, and neither occasion did I notice any affects. Not even a sore arm. For the first one, the nurse was so good, I didn't even realise I had been vaxxed until she just went "Well that's you done..."

18 minutes ago, Ric said:

Of course. There is no photograph or a signature, so there is no reason it should be proof of identification.

When I was in Dublin a few weeks ago, the bars were asking for ID in addition to the cert. Luckily I keep drivers licence in wallet so wasn't an issue. Won't be the case for everyone. 

Just now, PWL said:

When I was in Dublin a few weeks ago, the bars were asking for ID in addition to the cert. Luckily I keep drivers licence in wallet so wasn't an issue. Won't be the case for everyone. 

Yeah, it's going to be tough to get this right, and consistent across all countries. It really shouldn't be door security that's having to make the decision though, should be a simple "scan and entry", I don't want some burley bouncer leering over me as I pull out endless forms of ID with the queue behind me getting restless.

That said, I always carry my driving licence with me. Not that I drive, I haven't in years, but because the picture on it is so sexy. :wub:

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Have I missed something or are folk jumping the gun here? Isn't there to be further clarity/an app based thing to come yet? Why are folk downloading paper copies now?

I did it for the QR code. I've not been asked for confirmation, but if I am I am going on the assumption that will need to be scanned for me to enter.

9 minutes ago, Ric said:

I think we all accept that the QR/passport/app/paper copy/etc all have issues. At present I think it's more just covering the most people we can.

I'm sure someone could correct me here, but if you are transitioning don't the NHS change your details to reflect the "new status" (for lack of a better term) and part of that would be the name? I can't imagine if, for example, you were christened 'George' and you transitioned to 'Gemma' your doctor and the NHS letters would continue to refer to the "old name".

Might not match your passport or driving license my friend raised it as it's a concern for her but I don't think they will be matching the details with a official form of ID unless you go abroad.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Might not match your passport or driving license my friend raised it as it's a concern for her but I don't think they will be matching the details with a official form of ID unless you go abroad.

This all feeds into the already "awkward" situation of identifying those who are transitioning.

Personally I don't care if I have my gender mistaken (heh, it has to be said, that's unlikely!) or if the wrong name is used. However for the trans community, I would imagine that is not just frustrating but in cases quite hurtful while falling into a classic trope.

I'd say this is an overall issue rather than covid passport specific. If it could be solved for one, you'd hope it could be solved for all.

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Have I missed something or are folk jumping the gun here? Isn't there to be further clarity/an app based thing to come yet? Why are folk downloading paper copies now?

I was just checking it worked but the vote next week is a 'box ticking exercise'. It's a foregone conclusion I reckon.

Our slip into a surveillance state  continues. 😏

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I just did it because I've a couple of trips coming up where the QR code might make life easier.

1 minute ago, Suspect Device said:

I was just checking it worked but the vote next week is a 'box ticking exercise'. It's a foregone conclusion I reckon.

Our slip into a surveillance state  continues. 😏

Oh aye of course it is, I just thought the mechanism for showing your papers was yet to be determined. Surely something bettter than a scrap of paper of a screenshot of a pdf you have downloaded to your phone....

1 minute ago, Suspect Device said:

It's interesting in terms of politics as the Greens have some concerns, which to be fair are valid, regarding the implementation of vaccine passports. Interestingly Harvie's response was that he had responsibilities as part of the agreement.

You are right though, it'll be passed through Holyrood easily, other than some tory making some grandstanding point.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

This all feeds into the already "awkward" situation of identifying those who are transitioning.

Personally I don't care if I have my gender mistaken (heh, it has to be said, that's unlikely!) or if the wrong name is used. However for the trans community, I would imagine that is not just frustrating but in cases quite hurtful while falling into a classic trope.

I'd say this is an overall issue rather than covid passport specific. If it could be solved for one, you'd hope it could be solved for all.

Not changing my gender or anything but my passport has my "Sunday name" and my NHS records has the shortened version so I asked the NHS to change my records and 2 weeks later I had to phone the vaccine hotline to get the new certificate with my updated name. Made sure that there were no problems at the check in desk when I went on holiday at the end of June.

The gender question is obviously slightly different but I think I'm right in saying that they can get the name on the passport changed so as long as they match up with the NHS records, it should be OK.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

It's interesting in terms of politics as the Greens have some concerns, which to be fair are valid, regarding the implementation of vaccine passports. Interestingly Harvie's response was that he had responsibilities as part of the agreement.

You are right though, it'll be passed through Holyrood easily, other than some tory making some grandstanding point.

The Tories might look a bit hypocritical if Boris brings in the passport down south as is widely suggested.

Not that hypocrisy has ever bothered the Tories. 😃