Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, 101 said:

Sounds like a practice policy, I have been able to get back since the first lockdown although they have stopped serving tea and coffee in the waiting room.

The staff will be delighted not having to bother their arse with this. Wonder how long they'll be able to drag out 'because covid'.

56 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I see its only African countries on our travel red list. Is there a difference between an Omicron variant of COVID-19 from Africa and an Omicron variant of COVID-19 that is infecting a European?

Can we not put ourselves on our own red list as the UK does appear to be riddled with the new variant now?

I've not seen any valid reason for firing African countries onto the red list but VARIANTS!!!!! SAVE us FROM VARIANTS!!!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

Oh and Swinney is also a shit gibbon.

Sometimes, all a shitgibbon needs is a yellow rosette and to be under the SNP umbrella and folk will vote for them.

3,894* new cases of COVID-19 reported
32,166* new tests for COVID-19 that reported results
12.8%* of these were positive
no new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (Noting that Register Offices are now generally closed at the weekend)
43 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
591 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
4,354,064 people have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccination, 3,960,681 have received their second dose, and 1,889,285 have received a third dose or booster
*Reporting issues experienced over the weekend for the UK Government pillar 2 tests have now been resolved. Today’s figures are higher than expected due to the backlog of tests now being processed.

26 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Vaccine passports working well. 7dTWNk4.png

IMG-20211206-165527.jpg

https://www.euronews.com/2021/12/06/covid-19-spike-felt-across-europe-as-vaccination-remains-stagnant

Not sure if this link will work. Restrictions a bit more severe in some other countries compared to here. Looks like a couple of pretty big demonstrations as well. Hopefully we continue on our current path. 🤞

Any comment from 'progressive' Queen Nicola, the SNP, or their supporters?

Sure. Public health measures and immigration policy are different things and no matter how many times you and others attempt to conflate them, this will still be a shite argument.

Feel free to argue things don't work, things are ineffective, a waste of time, you do already but the idea that this is racist, as you have several times before is nonsense. It's almost as if we haven't wilfully imported this virus not once, not twice but three fucking times when, we are a collection of islands and have the natural advantage of not having any land borders with the continent.

Asking people to quarantine, or take tests isn't the same as a discriminatory immigration policy. It just isn't. In the same way a duck isn't a photocopier, although I do look forward to you arguing that they are. Quack Quack. 

4 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Sure. Public health measures and immigration policy are different things and no matter how many times you and others attempt to conflate them, this will still be a shite argument.

Feel free to argue things don't work, things are ineffective, a waste of time, you do already but the idea that this is racist, as you have several times before is nonsense. It's almost as if we haven't wilfully imported this virus not once, not twice but three fucking times when, we are a collection of islands and have the natural advantage of not having any land borders with the continent.

Asking people to quarantine, or take tests isn't the same as a discriminatory immigration policy. It just isn't. In the same way a duck isn't a photocopier, although I do look forward to you arguing that they are. Quack Quack. 

Given the virus and latest variant is already seeded here and across Europe - presumably we can expect all of them to be chucked straight into Government internment as well, or better yet, not force the global south to? I'm sure the right decision will be made any day now...

'Public health policy couldn't possibly be racist or discriminatory.' 🥴 Maybe all future immigration policies should simply be framed as protecting public health in order to keep out the undesirable?

You utter lickspittle.

57 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Vaccine passports working well. 7dTWNk4.png

IMG-20211206-165527.jpg

You actually do have to hand it to Boris for going herd immunity on the fly this summer. All those lovely weeks of sky high infections in the summer are paying off now. 

If we had opened up properly in June 2020 a lot more people would have survived last winter.

Edited by Detournement

32 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Was watching this earlier, can't see this happening in the UK with our high vaccination uptake, but its interesting to see how a government excludes a third of its population from normal living just to make another percentage of the population feel comfortable. Makes no difference to the infection rates. Interesting at the start when Freddie is walking around the shopping area in Vienna speaking to those whom have been vaccinated about those whom have won't or can't vaccinate, they get no sympathy and its a good idea etc, etc he then adds in 'you can catch COVID even if you have been vaccinated' the reaction is 'eh???'. They don't know, they just did what they were told to do by authority without understanding why.

Have we ever been guilty of obeying authority without thinking about it first? Nope, not here in Scotland.

It is a good watch.

This will just be denounced as 'nothing to see here' right-wing propaganda by the Simps.

Just now, Elixir said:

Given the virus and latest variant is already seeded here and across Europe - presumably we can expect all of them to be chucked straight into Government internment as well, or better yet, not force the global south to? I'm sure the right decision will be made any day now...

'Public health policy couldn't possibly be racist or discriminatory.' 🥴 Maybe all future immigration policies should simply be framed as protecting public health in order to keep out the undesirable?

You utter lickspittle.

There's no point isolating domestic cases when you're still importing international cases. UK gov were too lax, should have been pre departure tests and on day two and 8 with isolation on arrival as soon as the variant of concern was reported. But you don't think we should take any measures at all (bar vaccination) because this virus is "shan" so you think there's leverage here to cry discrimination. Which is more than a little Helen Lovejoy of you. You utter *insert further derogatory term here*

14 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

I don’t know your views on everything, but this is a take I see quite often.

Brexit for instance. There’s people who couldn’t can’t get a hospital appointment who voted accordingly based on the country being full. This was always, always portrayed by the left as a racist point of view, when it often wasn’t. Some people would use arguments like that as a cloak to hide their racism, but often it was mistaking immigration as the problem, when in fact it was more to do with chronic underfunding of public services and so on. They just got tossed into the racist bin regardless though.

Now it’s coming the other way with COVID, the progressives say need to use nuance, healthcare and immigration have to be seen separately, and we can’t possibly just throw accusations of racism or lack of progressiveness at people without considering their concerns in detail.

I get the angle you’re arguing at, but there’s a lot of hypocrisy from a lot of my chums at the moment who like to proclaim to be progressive left wingers.

On 05/12/2021 at 03:43, oaksoft said:

Problems in Luxembourg at a Christmas market. Those who advocate vaccine passports might want to be prepared for this sort of thing.

They don’t actually care about the restrictions. They’re just mad cause they can no longer enjoy a warming bowl of bat soup without facing prejudice.

7 minutes ago, Detournement said:

You actually do have to hand it to Boris for going herd immunity on the fly this summer. All those lovely weeks of sky high infections in the summer are paying off now. 

If we had opened up properly in June 2020 a lot more people would have survived last winter.

As I have said on here before, it's his finest moment as Prime Minister (everything else is shit though). I don't think the results of the decision were unexpected, but the UK was in a fairly unique position in the summer of having most old and vulnerable people double jabbed then so that helped too. 

I expect most of Europe's 2022 in terms of COVID to be similar to the UK's 2021 and that should avoid restrictions next year.

4 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

There's no point isolating domestic cases when you're still importing international cases. UK gov were too lax, should have been pre departure tests and on day two and 8 with isolation on arrival as soon as the variant of concern was reported. But you don't think we should take any measures at all (bar vaccination) because this virus is "shan" so you think there's leverage here to cry discrimination. Which is more than a little Helen Lovejoy of you. You utter *insert further derogatory term here*

Is it just the UK Government that was too lax? Of course it just has to be their fault. The virus and variant is quite literally everywhere. The WHO (and the scientist who discovered Omicron) quite literally do not endorse border restrictions.

Would you like to explain this discrepancy between people in Africa and people in Europe when it comes to relative freedom of movement? You just cannot accept that the Scottish Government are endorsing such blatant dog whistle discrimination. Indeed, they have been among the worst culprits in screeching for border closures. I suggest you own it because it won't ever be forgotten.

Just now, anotherchance said:

I don’t know your views on everything, but this is a take I see quite often.

Brexit for instance. There’s people who couldn’t can’t get a hospital appointment who voted accordingly based on the country being full. This was always, always portrayed by the left as a racist point of view, when it often wasn’t. Some people would use arguments like that as a cloak to hide their racism, but often it was mistaking immigration as the problem, when in fact it was more to do with chronic underfunding of public services and so on. They just got tossed into the racist bin regardless though.

Now it’s coming the other way with COVID, the progressives say need to use nuance, healthcare and immigration have to be seen separately, and we can’t possibly just throw accusations of racism or lack of progressiveness at people without considering their concerns in detail.

I get the angle you’re arguing at, but there’s a lot of hypocrisy from a lot of my chums at the moment who like to proclaim to be progressive left wingers.

But they can get here, they aren't being denied access. Should quarantine and testing (and sick pay for example) be better supported, sure. But UK gov holds the purse strings and while travel restrictions absolutely put people off travel, I'm ok with that because "we" aren't doing this for fun or because we think there's something inherently wrong with the red list countries, other than they have a particularly high case rate of this variant, which until we are sure of its seriousness, we don't want more of. 

1 minute ago, williemillersmoustache said:

But they can get here, they aren't being denied access. Should quarantine and testing (and sick pay for example) be better supported, sure. But UK gov holds the purse strings and while travel restrictions absolutely put people off travel, I'm ok with that because "we" aren't doing this for fun or because we think there's something inherently wrong with the red list countries, other than they have a particularly high case rate of this variant, which until we are sure of its seriousness, we don't want more of. 

'Aren't being denied access.'

They quite literally have to fork out thousands on internment that other people don't have to. It is a deterrent, but desperate people will have no choice. Should we start shooting the folk in dinghies in the Channel in case they have the dreaded Omicron?

Meanwhile, people from elsewhere that also have the dreaded Omicron won't have to go through this ordeal. How strange.

Is it just the UK Government that was too lax? Of course it just has to be their fault. The virus and variant is quite literally everywhere. The WHO (and the scientist who discovered Omicron) quite literally do not endorse border restrictions.

Would you like to explain this discrepancy between people in Africa and people in Europe when it comes to relative freedom of movement? You just cannot accept that the Scottish Government are endorsing such blatant dog whistle discrimination. Indeed, they have been among the worst culprits in screeching for border closures. I suggest you own it because it won't ever be forgotten.

Oh you're a fan of The WHO today. Well that's something. They've been simps and hysterics for months but now, gospel. 

There's no point in travel restrictions being anything other than UK wide, but that isnt convenient to your bizarre and frankly a little bit obsessive and creepy "I hate that bad Nicola" cant. 

Edited by williemillersmoustache