Scotland v Israel

Smokerson

Just now, ArabFC said:

I disagree with almost all of that but can't be arsed arguing.

More importantly for me... 

• Tierney is one of our best players.
  • We have struggled for years at centre-back.
  • Tierney has been playing centre-back a lot recently at a high level.

We'd be fools not to give a shot, and I doubt Cooper, McKenna or Gallagher would ever be chosen ahead of Tierney by Arteta (given the chance) even in a back 4.

You can't really compare what Tierney has been doing with Arsenal to what we'll ask our centre backs to do.

He's also 5'11. You might get away with that against the Israeli's who have a small forward line. What happens when he comes up against 6'3 Michael Krmencik on Tuesday and gets beaten in the air every time? You're going to have to stop crosses from coming in, which means committing more players out wide and stretching your defensive shape.

I'll always contend it's far easier to hide a pair of big diddies at the back, because it's easier to force a team out wide and leave your centre backs to do nothing other than head the ball away. But it's all about opinions. Interested to see what Clarke goes with.

1 hour ago, bernardblack said:

I’m saying that there’s a better player in his position so he shouldn’t be shoehorned into the team, narrowing that right hand side

Andy Robertson might be the best left-back in the squad, but Kieran Tierney is almost certainly the best right-back in the squad.

12 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

If he had been any good taking pens last season he could've had 20 goals, missed one in pre season and then another against St Johnstone in the league, then Lawless took over taking them and bagged 7 goals from the spot, he's scored twice from the spot this season though before his move to QPR so maybe he's been practicing. I'd also say he had a lot to do with us getting those pens,  Anyhoo, i wouldn't write him off from being a prolific goal scorer, he wasn't being used by Queens as a striker and he certainly did a good job for us, and got a decent amount of goals and assists, i think he's got more to give still and is improving with each level he steps up into.

He never was any good at penalties. He missed every penaltly he ever took for us I think. I was surprised Livi had him on them to begin with and even more surprised they went back to him after Lawless left. He did score them both though. What it does show is that he doesn't let anything get to him. Doesn't bother him if he missed his last 6, he'll still want the next one.

As for where he was used for us, there's a lot of nonsense spouted about that. Depends how you define "striker" I guess. He was definitely playing as a forward for pretty much all of his last two years plus with us. He started and played a few games out wide in his first season under Gavin Skelton. He wasn't however at any point the focus of the attack or expected to do the goalscoring. That was (and still is) Dobbie's job. Lyndon led the line, bullied defences and cleared space for Dobbie and he was very, very good at it.

I know for a fact he's been practicing and working hard over the last year  but I'm not really convinced his greater goals return is anything more than him now being the main forward for a team. I don't think he'll be prolific anywhere but I'd love to be wrong. He's the sort of attacker defenders hate to play against but he'll score 15 goals or so a season. He's a dream for a second striker to play alongside though or runners to come through from midfield. Hopefully Armstrong or McGinn or Forrest can do that tonight.

28 minutes ago, G51 said:

He's also 5'11. You might get away with that against the Israeli's who have a small forward line. What happens when he comes up against 6'3 Michael Krmencik on Tuesday and gets beaten in the air every time?

Fabio Cannavaro says wheesht!

39 minutes ago, G51 said:

You can't really compare what Tierney has been doing with Arsenal to what we'll ask our centre backs to do.

He's also 5'11. You might get away with that against the Israeli's who have a small forward line. What happens when he comes up against 6'3 Michael Krmencik on Tuesday and gets beaten in the air every time? You're going to have to stop crosses from coming in, which means committing more players out wide and stretching your defensive shape.

I'll always contend it's far easier to hide a pair of big diddies at the back, because it's easier to force a team out wide and leave your centre backs to do nothing other than head the ball away. But it's all about opinions. Interested to see what Clarke goes with.

Is he really 5’11? Looks a fair bit less than tgat to me, but I guess that’s just a sign of playing in a more athletic team.  Nobody would mention his height if he were 6’ 00.  

27 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Andy Robertson might be the best left-back in the squad, but Kieran Tierney is almost certainly the best right-back in the squad.

Liam Palmer has been doing the press this week, which is usually a sign he is going to start.  

I think Slovenia's Handanovic/Oblak as their keepers just pips the Tierney/Robertson frustration. Wonder if they have thought about playing one centre back.

I feel quite confident for tonight for some reason. 

Whats the consensus, Tierney is more comfortable at CB or RB? Think Cooper should start then Mckenna or Palmer depending on where Tierney is more comfortable. Having Dykes might help Mckenna more if he does play as he is absolutely shocking at playing it into midfield. 

11 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Is he really 5’11? Looks a fair bit less than tgat to me, but I guess that’s just a sign of playing in a more athletic team.  Nobody would mention his height if he were 6’ 00.  

Liam Palmer has been doing the press this week, which is usually a sign he is going to start.  

Claims to be 5'11. But we all know folk who claim to be 5'11 are really 5'8 or 5'9 and know how ridiculous they'd look if they claimed they were 6'0.

24 minutes ago, G51 said:

Javier Mascherano and Carlos Puyol think I'm talking shite, but watch them on a basketball court and you'll see what I mean.

Well played on naming more players that prove you don't need to be 6ft to be a top centre-back - I'm sure they'll be gutted they didn't make it as basketball players! 🤣

Edited by ArabFC

I think the line-up tonight might be Forrest at left-wing, and Armstrong on the right, with Christie or McGinn at CAM. Since there's no established left-winger in the squad in the absence of Ryan Fraser, Forrest is probably more likely than Christie to be played on the left. Armstrong has played well at RW recently and should start.

We don't have anyone else.
We've seen some complete diddies come from the English Championship to play for Scotland. Chris Martin, Iwelumo, Jordan Rhodes, Oliver Burke, Callum Paterson to name a few.
I'd put Dykes alongside them.
If strong, non-scoring strikers who could rummel up defenders was a good attribute in international football then we'd be set.

You’re aware that the most recent World Cup was won by a team who’s centre forward didn’t score at all in the tournament and was just there to shithouse the defenders and free up space for his wingers, right?

4 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Jack’s part of a team on a good run. McTominay can’t get a look in at United

That's just not quite true though is it.  He played in 10 games post restart.  He may not have started them all, but he's not wasting away in the reserves.

I'd fancy a McTominay that hasn't played in six months, over Jack.  The boy is as much an athlete as anyone we've had in two decades.

I'd bet that McTominay plays tonight, and Jack on Tuesday.  We need to control this game - perfect for McTominay.  Jack better suited to breaking up play and playing in a CDM.  He's no playmaker.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm