Scotland v Israel

Smokerson

I honestly can't fathom why a team struggling to find 2 capable centre backs would opt to play a formation that requires 3 of them, but that appears to be what Clarke is thinking. Having both O'Donnell and Palmer there makes no sense if your plan is to play Tierney at right back, which is what we all thought would happen. I'd have dropped one of those guys, probably O'Donnell but aside from that I think the squad is pretty strong.

Will see what Clarke goes with but I haven't enjoyed any of the games we've played with 3 centre halves before.

Think he might try Tierney at Centre Back looking at this. Only 3 Centre Backs named, 3 Left Backs and 2 Right Backs. Taylor as cover for Robertson, O'Donnell cover for Palmer and Tierney as 1 of 4 options at CB? Maybe. Flexibility, I suppose.

Shankland evidently impressed Clarke sufficiently to get included again and we could see him make his second appearance of the league season this weekend, if we are lucky. 

Just now, Marshmallo said:

Armstrong has to start given the second half of the season he had in a top league.

Don't know why, but I always forget about Armstrong.

Agreed - Seems to play wide attack for Southampton with the license to drift in, so could maybe see him starting ahead of Forrest

3 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

No convinced that he is looking to play a back 3, there isn't a strong enough Right centre back and right wing back or a second striker for that matter.

3 at centre back doesn't automatically mean 2 up front.

He might well just be planning to play Tierney at centre back in a 4, but I'm not convinced that's the best use of the players we have.

Armstrong really should start after his premier league end of season. 

*whispers quietly*: do we HAVE to start Calum Mcgrgeor? I don’t doubt he’s a good player but he starts every game and I just never think he’s that great for Scotland. 
Also I have this theory about John Mcginn that he would be a nightmare to play with. I don’t doubt he does a power of work but it’s often at the expense of actually being in the right position but that doesn’t seem to matter because he’s “putting a shift in”, as if the other players aren’t trying. I don’t think he’s disciplined enough to play holding and I don’t think he’s technically as good as the others I have in (Armstrong and Christie) Forrests pace gives him the nod.

Palmer Cooper Tierney Robertson- back 4

Mctominay Fleck- holding 2

Forrest Christie Armstrong- 3 attacking mids

Mcburnie- striker 

6 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Don't know why, but I always forget about Armstrong.

Agreed - Seems to play wide attack for Southampton with the license to drift in, so could maybe see him starting ahead of Forrest

I'm the same actually, have him as a luxury attacking mid in my mind but I'd like to see him out wide like he was for Southampton towards the end of the year.

13 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

That squad does suggest Tierney will be used as a centre back, really hoping its in a 4 and not a 5 though.

Robertson needs someone in front of him to create space for him to run into, his attacking threat is totally nullified as a wing back as proven the few times we've tried it. 

Marshall

Palmer  Cooper  Tierney  Robertson

McTominay  McGregor

Christie  McGinn  Forrest

McBurnie

This is probably the best line-up we can muster up with what we have. 

Couldn't name a single player that plays for Czech Republic these days. Probably still miles better than us. 

No convinced that he is looking to play a back 3, there isn't a strong enough Right centre back and right wing back or a second striker for that matter.
Completely agree RE RCB and RWB, but I reckon Christie, Forrest or maybe Armstrong or Burke could play as a second striker.

3 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

Armstrong really should start after his premier league end of season. 

*whispers quietly*: do we HAVE to start Calum Mcgrgeor? I don’t doubt he’s a good player but he starts every game and I just never think he’s that great for Scotland. 
Also I have this theory about John Mcginn that he would be a nightmare to play with. I don’t doubt he does a power of work but it’s often at the expense of actually being in the right position but that doesn’t seem to matter because he’s “putting a shift in”, as if the other players aren’t trying. I don’t think he’s disciplined enough to play holding and I don’t think he’s technically as good as the others I have in (Armstrong and Christie) Forrests pace gives him the nod.

Palmer Cooper Tierney Robertson- back 4

Mctominay Fleck- holding 2

Forrest Christie Armstrong- 3 attacking mids

Mcburnie- striker 

McGinn who scored 7 goals last year for us?  But let’s make room for a striker in McBurnie or Burke who will likely never score 7 for Scotland in their whole careers?

I mean, that is crazy talk.

Just now, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

McGinn who scored 7 goals last year for us?  But let’s make room for a striker in McBurnie or Burke who will likely never score 7 for Scotland in their whole careers?

I mean, that is crazy talk.

So you’d play Mcginn instead of Mcburnie in the team I selected?