Scotland v Israel

Smokerson

That was not good at all but in slightly strange circumstances, a lot of players without much or any game time. I also thought McGregor was poor. Dykes on the other hand I thought did well with the scraps he got. Can't wait to see more of him. Passing the ball backwards isn't necessarily the worst thing in the world but doing so as repeatedly as we did isn't going to bring much joy.

One more positive on the system debacle - I'd much rather he fucks about with it this time than in the playoff next month.  This Nations League could well end up being largely pointless with the World Cup playoff situation, and it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if we got relegated, allowing us a shot at the Euros from League C.  

But of course it all depends whether he learnt anything from it tonight and won't do something similarly mental next month.

Just now, AndyX said:

Just came on to say that was abysmal - but I see everyone has already noticed that.

Now can we stop saying that we're fine for midfielders. Dreadful, the lot of them.  Just keep on playing 5-yard passes to the next guy and hope that he does something.

Clarke shoved one of them in the back three, played one to be the token Rangers man and left our best midfielder on the bench. No one distinguished themselves but they were hamstrung by the clown with the terrible tie.

Utter and complete dross treated like a pre season training match from start to finish.

No shape, no movement, no urgency and no tempo in the play. Just shocking.

Other than the fortunate penalty, did we even have a shot on goal ??

McKenna man of the match for me, which really just about says it all.

3 minutes ago, Old Pack said:

Usual Pish I take it.
Gave up watching Scotland years ago.

First team I've bothered watching for a while. Just doesn't look like Scotland with no white shorts and red socks, but maybe that keeps the Family von Trapp brigade happy. Although there's some genuine quality in the team again that can play the modern possession orientated style of game reasonably well there's nothing up front.

Just now, forameus said:

One more positive on the system debacle - I'd much rather he fucks about with it this time than in the playoff next month.  This Nations League could well end up being largely pointless with the World Cup playoff situation, and it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if we got relegated, allowing us a shot at the Euros from League C.  

But of course it all depends whether he learnt anything from it tonight and won't do something similarly mental next month.

By definition if he "fucks about with it" just now then he is going to be trying something new next month.

I have an idea which might seem crazy - why not just put a team on the park in both games which is designed to win?

No dynamism, no creativity and no urgency. Terrible, and not for the first time under Clarke. Israel were the better team, and they are not even a top 30 team in UEFA!

4 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

That was a disastrous experiment to shoehorn Tierney and Robertson into the same team.

The result? Players all over the park out of position.

Sadly the experiment may be here to stay!

Whats bizarre is Clarke had us set up well before the big break - a 4231 with McGinn supporting the striker.

Totally agree.

Which I wouldnt mind if we hadn't already tried it and failed. Robertson even came out and said neither him nor Tierney enjoyed playing that way it.

Nearly all of our team/squad play in club sides in a 4-3-3 (4-5-1) type formation.

We dont deserve qualifications if we cant beat fucking Israel.

2 minutes ago, KillieMogwai said:

Dykes did his job well

Isn't the job of a centre forward for a team playing at home to mediocre opponents you need to be beating to, erm, score some goals? It's absolutely baffling to me that Scotland fans are not only talking themselves into having the luxury of someone playing the 'Giroud role' up front for all the world-class supporting players to score the goals for them but are also talking up a total carthorse like Lyndon fucking Dykes as the player to do that job. 

Just now, Marshmallo said:

By definition if he "fucks about with it" just now then he is going to be trying something new next month.

I have an idea which might seem crazy - why not just put a team on the park in both games which is designed to win?

No dynamism, no creativity and no urgency. Terrible, and not for the first time under Clarke. Israel were the better team, and they are not even a top 30 team in UEFA!

What's crazy is that Clarke has been thinkin about this for 6 months, and that's the solution he came up with!

Just now, Marshmallo said:

Can't say I disagree, but just saying I'd rather he fucks about with it now, as you put it, then when it matters.  Obviously I'd rather he didn't just f**k about at all and put a team out that was designed to win. 

That was a disastrous experiment to shoehorn Tierney and Robertson into the same team.
The result? Players all over the park out of position.
Sadly the experiment may be here to stay!
Whats bizarre is Clarke had us set up well before the big break - a 4231 with McGinn supporting the striker.
Feels like he's had too much time to overthink it. Add in some absolutely shocking performances and that's what you get.
Irrespective of formation some of the players need a kick up the arse. How often does Robertson actually play well for us? McGregor? Forrest?

Awful performance summed up by Burke claiming the title of most unenthusiastic looking sub I have ever seen even down to the time it took him to get ready never mind his disinterested facial expression. When you then saw the state of him physically you kinda saw why. Shocking state fitness wise but unfortunately for us it was him or Dykes. What a shite state of affairs right enough !

5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Clarke shoved one of them in the back three, played one to be the token Rangers man and left our best midfielder on the bench. No one distinguished themselves but they were hamstrung by the clown with the terrible tie.

Hamstrung only if Clarke told them all to just shuffle the ball to the next guy and do absolutely bugger all off the ball.  McTominay in midfield would have been just the same - that's pretty much his game.

My word.

Players falling over each other and passing the buck with zero attacking intent, and Clarke actually stood and watched it for 90 minutes and changed nothing.

It reminded me of the time the **** spent 90 minutes punting the ball up to Jon Daly at home to Albion Rovers.