Hearts (Scottish Premiership hopefuls) v Motherwell (European hopefuls) 7th March

3 hours ago, Crùbag said:

Halkett not doing his job again. He's been a big disappointment this season. Only his goal-scoring saves him IMO.

Last year I thought it was tight between Gallagher and Halkett. This season I am glad we got Gallagher.

8 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Overall not a disaster, though tainted with Hamilton winning but gained on St Mirren and County this week with both still to play twice.  

Not having a go, but I'd be a lot more encouraged by this fact if we'd won more than one game all season against the bottom six. We have no idea how to beat teams that sit in against us and that's the situation we're probably going to face in almost all of our remaining games.

Wednesday is absolutely huge. Arguably our biggest game for years. If we win, we'll be level with St Mirren and within striking distance of Hamilton and Ross County*, with Ross County to come at home before the split. If we lose, we're pretty much fucked, barring a miracle.

* Making the fairly massive assumption that Rangers don't f**k it up again tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Not having a go, but I'd be a lot more encouraged by this fact if we'd won more than one game all season against the bottom six. We have no idea how to beat teams that sit in against us and that's the situation we're probably going to face in almost all of our remaining games.

Wednesday is absolutely huge. Arguably our biggest game for years. If we win, we'll be level with St Mirren and within striking distance of Hamilton and Ross County*, with Ross County to come at home before the split. If we lose, we're pretty much fucked, barring a miracle.

* Making the fairly massive assumption that Rangers don't f**k it up again tomorrow.

Our bottom 6 record has been poor, but we have looked much better the last few games. Today especially, Motherwell came to sit back and counter which they did, but we dealt ok with it and could've won. 

Bottom 6 teams will do the same without the quality on the break.  The fact we seem to have learnt not to be so open at the back is a big positive.

10 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Our bottom 6 record has been poor, but we have looked much better the last few games. Today especially, Motherwell came to sit back and counter which they did, but we dealt ok with it and could've won. 

Bottom 6 teams will do the same without the quality on the break.  The fact we seem to have learnt not to be so open at the back is a big positive.

Maybe, but we failed to win again. It's the mentality that I'm worried about more than the quality of the players. There just seems to be a mental block there that stops us winning the run-of-the-mill games when we're expected to. As the margin of error gets smaller, the pressure's only going to get bigger.

Wednesday will be a big test of whether we've actually turned a corner. Another draw is no good.

We are bottom of the league against 3rd today. To not collapse when going behind and come back and have chances to win encourages me about the mentality tbh. 

I caveat that with, Wednesday is fucking huge.

Edited by Tony Wonder

All season teams haven't had to work very hard to score against us and we seem to have to toil like buggery for any goals we score.

The St Mirren game is huge which is why we will draw. 

We've been saying for weeks we need to start winning and it's yet to happen. We'll struggle for the rest of the season and finish in the bottom two. 

We're in the shite because of our form under Levein/Macphee and the 4 losses under Stendel in his first 3 weeks after taking over the shitshow. Our recent form hasn't been relegation form otherwise. 

Against Premiership opposition in the last 10 games we've had 3 wins, 5 draws and 2 losses. That is about as good as can be expected with the current squad. If the board had backed the manager in January then it would have been better. 

St. Mirren and Hamilton have had some good results recently but not every side in the bottom 4 will pick up more than a point a game. We just need to keep plugging away now. Obviously next game is massive though as a platform to try to build on. Losing could put us into a tailspin as the evidence is we are mentally fragile. 

44 minutes ago, Craigie Jambo said:

'well time-wasting after 40 mins, wtf was that about?

Game Management, surely?

(and I was a bit pissed off about it actually - less so in the last 10 mins of the second).

15 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Last year I thought it was tight between Gallagher and Halkett. This season I am glad we got Gallagher.

Whatever, the league table doesn't lie. We've shipped loads of needless goals this season due to Halkett, Berra, Pereiira, Souttar and Damour - though he's come good recently. Halkett deserves a spell on the bench though I don't think we're in a position to do that - he fkcd up twice for that goal. Got back but still couldn't block it FFS.

15 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

We looked a bit open on a couple of occasions yesterday.

Agree w/ earlier post. Draw against third placed Well isn't bad. Shame that Hamilton still managed to outdo us.

3 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Robinson claiming that's a penalty for the challenge from Zlamal on Hylton is a total fucking riddy btw. 

Yes. Yes it is.

Such a good break and Polworth of all people hitting a bad pass...but never a penalty (and that was obvious enough from the other end of the ground)

25 minutes ago, Swello said:

Yes. Yes it is.

Such a good break and Polworth of all people hitting a bad pass...but never a penalty (and that was obvious enough from the other end of the ground)

I thought Hylton took a weird stutter step which completely took away any hope of us getting anything out of it as well. All in all we made a complete arse of it. 

Agreed that it was never a penalty.

That 4-on-1 situation sort of sums up our attacking play for much of the season. Yet again we took the wrong option as it looks like it would have been much easier for Aarons to score than Hylton.

3 hours ago, well fan for life said:

I thought Hylton took a weird stutter step which completely took away any hope of us getting anything out of it as well. All in all we made a complete arse of it. 

Hylton doesn't even touch the ball and essentially just shepherds the ball to Zlamal then falls over. He definitely has technique but seems to freeze up if he has time to think about what he's doing.

18 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Hylton doesn't even touch the ball and essentially just shepherds the ball to Zlamal then falls over. He definitely has technique but seems to freeze up if he has time to think about what he's doing.

Agree with this - but in his defence, I thought when we were more up against it in the 2nd half, he pretty much always took the right option and showed a bit of discipline and awareness, which has pretty much always been missing up until now. Not giving up on him yet TBH.