The SPFL recommendation?

4 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

There's the problem right there - it's not about football any more, it's about creating a product for tv.

f**k that.

It's not as if we're all living high on the hog with the mega-millions pumped into our game by the tv companies, it's an absolute pittance compared with what the English game gets so I'd say this approach has failed entirely.

Set up a league structure that creates great competition, that fans want to go and see and we'll have the TV companies chasing us instead of having lickspittle parasites like Doncaster tugging his forelock at them and making us play games at 4.22pm on a wet Thursday to suit some schedule devised by a marketing lassie who's been to a hundred stadiums but never watched a game. 

Put the football first.

I'm right behind you on that one.

Let's face it all that's happened since the mid 80's when Dundee Utd and Aberdeen were winning things (and doing well in Europe) is that more of the money has been channeled into the Ugly sisters and even with 80% of it, it's still not enough for them...and it never will be! Perhaps bigger leagues could be more competitive and with only 2  visits a  season the boredom threshold wouldn't be breeched. The problem is still TV money as even if they had a top flight derby (Dundee, Edinburgh, Highland, Lanarkshire, Ayrshire,) to show every week they'd still want the 4 OF games. The argument is plain for improving the league to a better over all product than just one juicy tie to suit Sky, persuading the Aberdeens of this world to see the bigger picture is a different story, as a team of former glory you'd have thought they'd leap at it!

I know it's not popular but a split after everyone had played 2 times could be the answer after all if there was some way the top of the SPL could play off to allow for the extra 2 OF games.

Personally I'd opt for bigger leagues and a Summer season all day long but I know it's not everyones cup of tea. One of the problems with 16 team leagues is the drop off in fan numbers, particularly next season as with the exception of: Arbroath, Dunfermline, QotS, Alloa, Morton and Partick, a promoted Raith (and Falkirk) would basically find themselves in the same league as last season with a vastly reduced budget compared to what it would be the current set up. It'd be less of a promotion for us than a relegation for those in the Championship. Not having visits from in particular the likes of Dundee Utd, Dundee and Hearts would have a great financial impact on the budgets all the remaining sides in the division.

Tough choices need to be made, the time for tinkering and a tweak here and there is long over, our national game needs major surgery not a fecking manicure.

14 hours ago, foreverarover said:

Because out with the 39 hours a week he will be contracted to he can do the f**k he wants. That to him is staying away from the wife and watching football. 🤷🤣. Are ye going to grass in Robbie Neilson and Paul Hartley ye wee poor soul?

He's not contracted to be doing anything right now. He's taking government money so that his employer didn't need to make him redundant. If he's working Raith need to stop claiming government money, it's that simple. Struggling to think what work he could actually be doing mind you.

To be clear, I don't agree with grassing him in, nor do I believe the complaint will actually go anywhere but there's no doubt it was a daft thing for him to say, especially after your players have been getting it right up the whole of Falkirk and anyone else who'll listen for the last week. 

Hard to see how the two bottom league teams can back Ann Budge as she has stated that the game would be better with half the teams in the Scottish league binned to history down the public park. Goes back to self interest she will need all these lower league teams that she wanted binned to history to back her, to keep Hearts in the top league. I hope all these chairman remember what she thinks of them. 

You think our decline in Europe began in 1975? I’m guessing you may not be old enough to remember Aberdeen and Dundee United in the 1980s. Some of Scottish clubs’ best ever displays took place in the 1980s. And if you think there are cannon fodder games in the current top league set up can you imagine what it would be like in an 18 team top division?

It would take a long time but if the money was divided equally then the leagues would be a lot more even and there would be less cannon fodder games

If you look at total attendances since the 80s, the total probably isn't much different. However, the old firm have seen crowds increase by 25-30k, everyone else has seen a reduction. A lot if the problem was in the days of the setanta deal, not only have we lost the great amounts of money on offer, it's taken until now for clubs to pay off debt, (with a few administrations & liquidations down the line) but we said to fans, fine watch it in the pub, we've got your money from the TV company anyway. This has educated a whole generation of fans, to stay away from cold, soulless stadia & watch some multi cultural, multi millonare franchises from the comfort of thier homes. Many people wouldn't dream of actually attending games. Nowadays kids run about in man city & barcelona kits, saying that's who they 'support', to me support means going to see your team. I make sure mine have scotland & east fife, I'm probably fighting a losing battle though. 

1 minute ago, bullyweehutch said:

I'd take watching shite fitba in a freezing stadium on a Tuesday night over sitting at home watching the bigot brothers or some poofy English premier league football every day of the week

Not sure this meets the criteria of the equalities act. 

Just looked at the Livingston proposal. 14-10-10-10.

Looks like no playoffs below the premiership relegation/promotion one

So straight two up/two down right down to the bottom of league two.

Only playoff would be 12th in premiership vs 3rd in championship (no chance)

Taking away the playoffs for championship/league 1/ league 2 would be shite if you ask me.

Weird that they’ve proposed to lose the playoffs when they’ve generally been regarded as a success and have added excitement to the leagues.

The only thing that needed fiddling with regarding playoffs was the weighting towards the premier teams in the premier playoff.

Weird that they’ve proposed to lose the playoffs when they’ve generally been regarded as a success and have added excitement to the leagues.

The only thing that needed fiddling with regarding playoffs was the weighting towards the premier teams in the premier playoff.

Not really. They would be one of the candidates to finish third bottom so would probably not want to be open to being relegated at the end of the season.

Irrespective, I’m almost more surprised that they support reconstruction.

I can give them credit for that......

35 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Nonsense.. protectionism of Top league as usual. 
2 relegated from a 10 team league that is extremely tight! 

that’s fine Premier league has 14 so breathing space that’s all that matters!!

How is it protecting the top league? Potentially 3 being relegated from 14 is higher chance than 2 from 12 no? 

For the record I don't think it's that bad a proposal. Top 2 was always fine back in the day 

Automatically chucking 2 bottom league plodders out into the backwaters each season is fine too 

He's not contracted to be doing anything right now. He's taking government money so that his employer didn't need to make him redundant. If he's working Raith need to stop claiming government money, it's that simple. Struggling to think what work he could actually be doing mind you.
To be clear, I don't agree with grassing him in, nor do I believe the complaint will actually go anywhere but there's no doubt it was a daft thing for him to say, especially after your players have been getting it right up the whole of Falkirk and anyone else who'll listen for the last week. 
He an do what the f**k he wants in his own time. You don't work 24 hours a day. What is so fucking difficult about that concept. He would be watching videos of matches old Friday night games or you tube videos. The same as a lot of other people do. What do you not get about this [emoji23][emoji848]

1 hour ago, foreverarover said:

He an do what the f**k he wants in his own time. You don't work 24 hours a day. What is so fucking difficult about that concept. He would be watching videos of matches old Friday night games or you tube videos. The same as a lot of other people do. What do you not get about this emoji23.pngemoji848.png

First off, I don't give a shit if McGlynn's doing whatever sort of work he can and wants to do. I'm sure plenty of people on furlough are doing some bits and pieces.

it's not exactly difficult to see what the problem is, in principle, with people on furlough carrying on working though. Companies are taking government money on the understanding that their employees cannot work. If companies are taking the money and still having employees work, it's essentially fraud.

I'm sure all McGlynn is doing is, as you say, watching games and thinking about his squad for next season. It's maybe a bit on the line but no sensible person's going to give a f**k about that and HMRC certainly aren't.

Edited by Gordon EF

Set up a league structure that creates great competition, that fans want to go and see and we'll have the TV companies chasing us instead of having lickspittle parasites like Doncaster tugging his forelock at them and making us play games at 4.22pm on a wet Thursday to suit some schedule devised by a marketing lassie who's been to a hundred stadiums but never watched a game. 

Put the football first.

The only way we'll get decent competition is if clubs have broadly similar budgets. If we don’t address this in 20 years we’ll still be here talking about Celtic going for 30 in a row, Rangers*** (you choose how many *s by then), who might challenge Aberdeen for third...

Academic research clearly shows that the reason why fewer teams now dominating is almost entirely explained by budgets.

6 hours ago, foreverarover said:

He an do what the f**k he wants in his own time. You don't work 24 hours a day. What is so fucking difficult about that concept. He would be watching videos of matches old Friday night games or you tube videos. The same as a lot of other people do. What do you not get about this emoji23.pngemoji848.png

Aye, it's me that's not getting it.