The SPFL recommendation?

4 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

In which case say you don't want to name them. Hardly builds trust if your answer to Loans being/not being allowed is I can't remember but it sticks in my mind. 

Considering how important that element is to this debate, if I was her I would have had the Board minutes dug out and reminded myself.

That is why it is a big deal - she is being slippery, so it does not build trust.

She should not be naming clubs that were given emergency loans as that is confidential information 

4 hours ago, Life on Marrs? said:

The 4 old firm games a season, is not simply for their own benefit. These games are the most sought after & our most marketable. We have to maximise this, an 18 team league with St Johnstone v Ayr in front of 2000 fans won't whet many appetites outside Scotland. TV companies need full stadiums with players they are familiar with to attract outside audiences. 

I wish we could attract more stay away fans, but too many games on TV has ruined that, along with the perception the PL is the be all and end all, when it really is just a better dressed up & more glamorous package. 

While i get what your saying  i think the league would be more competitive with 18 teams , therefore ties vs the OLD FIRM would take on a more CUP-TIE feeling.It would also give certain clubs more stability instead of yo-yoing.I don't know that an extra 2 OF league games per season MASSIVELY changes things TBH.Would motherwell vs Aberdeen whet  appetites much more than dundee utd vs falkirk.Im not sure it would then again i may be wrong as to how the finances work vis-a-vis TV monies.

31 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Guessing as its a members association the clubs were informed of club/s that were given loans?

That doesn't mean you blab it outside the membership. But that's not the point, it's the needless lie she told to explain her knowledge of the loan.

3 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

You think our decline in Europe began in 1975? I’m guessing you may not be old enough to remember Aberdeen and Dundee United in the 1980s. Some of Scottish clubs’ best ever displays took place in the 1980s. And if you think there are cannon fodder games in the current top league set up can you imagine what it would be like in an 18 team top division?

I believe the slow erosion of our competitiveness in terms of League clubs BEGAN then. The effects were felt by the late 80s was my point .Since Hearts UEFA cup run to the QF  IN 1989 no Scottish club has done anything of note outside the overspending OF.

18 team league would mean 34 games...4 fewer than now.I believe teams would approach OF fixtures more like Cup ties hopefully making the league more competitive.In England, Germany, Italy etc they have 20 teams.In Italy teams like Novara have been  in Serie A who are no bigger a club than say Kilmarnock.Yet Italians do not heap scorn on them for being in Serie A.Freshness is needed IMHO.

In which case say you don't want to name them. Hardly builds trust if your answer to Loans being/not being allowed is I can't remember but it sticks in my mind. 
Considering how important that element is to this debate, if I was her I would have had the Board minutes dug out and reminded myself.
That is why it is a big deal - she is being slippery, so it does not build trust.

Got you. And obviously can’t disagree.

8 hours ago, Wildrover said:

I can't see the teams in league two voting to let in Brora and Kelty with there financial backing it would realistically mean the other teams have more chance of going down  

If the shitehawks at the SPFL want a proper pyramid system then clubs would have to like it and lump it. It's about a club finding its level. If Kelty are promoted then they would pull the best crowds in the league. East Stirling have come down and they have spent big with players such as Bobby Barr and it hasn't worked out. Other league 2 clubs will be the same. 

On 18/04/2020 at 18:04, Shadwell Dog said:

I wouldnt have thought telling folk on national radio the work hes already doing for next season was the most sensible thing to do then.

Because out with the 39 hours a week he will be contracted to he can do the f**k he wants. That to him is staying away from the wife and watching football. 🤷🤣. Are ye going to grass in Robbie Neilson and Paul Hartley ye wee poor soul?

Edited by foreverarover

On 18/04/2020 at 20:22, AGPar said:

Exactly. Furlough is only likely to last until business and industry is given the green light to crank back into some sort of life. That will be way ahead of football, sport in general, in the list of priorities when these restrictions are eventually eased. How realistically do clubs pay their staff from that point onwards whilst being unable to generate income? And even when supporters are allowed to attend matches again, the economic landscape may well mean crowds are significantly down. Yet you still have some clubs, chairmen, supporters believing that football will somehow kick off as normal in August and anticipating 2500 Hearts fans through the door, or Particks away support, or Falkirk's, or Dunfermline's, or whoever else's. Absolute cloud cuckoo land stuff. As is the likes of this Cormack character at Aberdeen indulging his nonsensical fantasy that Premier League clubs need to be back completing this seasons fixtures behind closed doors as soon as possible. Without some sort of additional financial support from somewhere there is a reckoning coming. Scottish football should collectively, together, be exploring avenues that may allow it to get through the next few months intact, without losing clubs. Instead we've got the despicable farce that's unfolded over the last couple of weeks.

I'm just trying to lift my head off the floor when that Aberdeen chairman stated his club is losing £1m per month. With the crowds they have how the f**k is that sustainable unless sponsors are paying massive.

1 hour ago, lorenzo71 said:

I believe the slow erosion of our competitiveness in terms of League clubs BEGAN then. The effects were felt by the late 80s was my point .Since Hearts UEFA cup run to the QF  IN 1989 no Scottish club has done anything of note outside the overspending OF.

In the late 80s English clubs were banned from Europe that maybe helped us then. The collapse of Yugoslavia & USSR has meant more clubs in, lowering our profile. 

It's not just us, Anderlecht, Rapid Vienna, Steua Bucharest, Red Star Belgrade, Dynamo Kiev, all big, famous clubs, hampered by the league they play in, even the Greek, Portuguese & Dutch clubs struggle compared to where they were. 

The CL is sown up to suit the big 5 leagues & bar the odd surprise season, dominated by those leagues. 

Last seasons final, Liverpool not been champions for 30years v Spurs, not since 1961, yet Celtic have to negotiate 4 rounds, seems wrong to me, but money talks, the big get bigger, at home and in Europe. 

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

What will leak out, the name of the club loaned money? That's neither here nor there. It's about lying that she couldn't remember which club if was.

Yeah surprised the name of club loaned money wasnt leaked

Totally with you regard Budge lying that she couldn,t remember which club it was.

Maybe there was no club

4 minutes ago, fifer67 said:

Hamilton guy said on radio today that Gretna were the last team to be loaned money failed to repay and the rest of the clubs had to take reduced payouts to make up for the lost revenue given to Gretna.

That would be before the SPFL existed. There's nothing unusual about member clubs getting loans. The problem is lying about them.

6 hours ago, Life on Marrs? said:

In the late 80s English clubs were banned from Europe that maybe helped us then. The collapse of Yugoslavia & USSR has meant more clubs in, lowering our profile. 

It's not just us, Anderlecht, Rapid Vienna, Steua Bucharest, Red Star Belgrade, Dynamo Kiev, all big, famous clubs, hampered by the league they play in, even the Greek, Portuguese & Dutch clubs struggle compared to where they were. 

The CL is sown up to suit the big 5 leagues & bar the odd surprise season, dominated by those leagues. 

Last seasons final, Liverpool not been champions for 30years v Spurs, not since 1961, yet Celtic have to negotiate 4 rounds, seems wrong to me, but money talks, the big get bigger, at home and in Europe. 

This is being noticed more and more around the bigger football country's in Europe too.  Clubs like Roma, Lazio, inter Milan are saying the English championship are quickly becoming more able to pay higher wages.  Their is supposed to be a review of all European competitions and maybe bring back the cup winners cup in some format.   

It's a sad day when clubs around Europe and particularly our own Scottish leagues are struggling so much and and English premier clubs are still looking at possible 100 million plus transfers . 

17 hours ago, Life on Marrs? said:

The 4 old firm games a season, is not simply for their own benefit. These games are the most sought after & our most marketable. We have to maximise this, an 18 team league with St Johnstone v Ayr in front of 2000 fans won't whet many appetites outside Scotland. TV companies need full stadiums with players they are familiar with to attract outside audiences. 

I wish we could attract more stay away fans, but too many games on TV has ruined that, along with the perception the PL is the be all and end all, when it really is just a better dressed up & more glamorous package. 

There's the problem right there - it's not about football any more, it's about creating a product for tv.

f**k that.

It's not as if we're all living high on the hog with the mega-millions pumped into our game by the tv companies, it's an absolute pittance compared with what the English game gets so I'd say this approach has failed entirely.

Set up a league structure that creates great competition, that fans want to go and see and we'll have the TV companies chasing us instead of having lickspittle parasites like Doncaster tugging his forelock at them and making us play games at 4.22pm on a wet Thursday to suit some schedule devised by a marketing lassie who's been to a hundred stadiums but never watched a game. 

Put the football first.