The SPFL recommendation?

Just now, haufdaft said:

What happens to summer leagues like Iceland in world cup and euro years?Football season playing through the summer has to start sometime.

Very few internationals play in the home league, they also always play then and can suspend their normal season. You're suggesting a one off competition with a built in break. It would have so few games it'd hardly be worth it, unless it was only the lower divisions.

Very few internationals play in the home league, they also always play then and can suspend their normal season. You're suggesting a one off competition with a built in break. It would have so few games it'd hardly be worth it, unless it was only the lower divisions.
Why does it need to be only for one season?

Some fans would prefer summer football irrespective of Coronavirus.

1 minute ago, haufdaft said:

Why does it need to be only for one season?

Some fans would prefer summer football irrespective of Coronavirus.

As has been pointed out, if a "summer" season was introduced here in the present structure and cup format, it would run from late February until November.

We presently play from July to May, tell me the advantages of summer football again?

It's always a nice idea, but doesn't work in our league as it stands.

35 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

What happens to summer leagues like Iceland in world cup and euro years?

I seem to recall some leagues (Ireland and Iceland specifically) still playing matches when the 2018 World Cup was on, but for the most part, these leagues will take a 6-8 week break. Many, many leagues in Europe do this around winter anyway, so summer leagues taking a break for an international tournament is no different a gap in fixtures to most leagues using the common winter schedule.

The top three leagues by UEFA coefficient who run a summer schedule are Belarus (21st in UEFA rankings), Sweden (22nd) and Norway (23rd), and at a guess I'd say the impact on these clubs with regards to international call-ups during a World Cup or Euros is minimal. Therefore they won't need the kind of extended gap in play that the bigger leagues would need if using a summer schedule, where players would need more time off to play pre-tournament friendlies, meet up before travelling to the tournament, etc.

Edited by Nightmare

50 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

France is allowing professional sport in front of large crowds from Aug/Sept.

Behind closed doors from June.

I’m sure I saw that Germany were starting again in May. 

Clubs would be wise to hold off on any signings until we know when we play in front of crowds again.
P.S. What do you think summer football actually means? That the entire season would be squeezed in to 3 months?!
The only month we don't play currently is June and the first couple of weeks of July. A summer schedule you've got the headache of trying to start and end the season when the weather is usually at its worst.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

Could be starting in May,no certainty.It,ll will be behind closed doors and could be until 2021 and to  be fair the Germans have better grip on the virus than we do

1 hour ago, Jack Burton said:
3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:
Clubs would be wise to hold off on any signings until we know when we play in front of crowds again.
P.S. What do you think summer football actually means? That the entire season would be squeezed in to 3 months?!

The only month we don't play currently is June and the first couple of weeks of July. A summer schedule you've got the headache of trying to start and end the season when the weather is usually at its worst.

I'm not a fan of summer football. Think the calendar is fine as it is.

7 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Could be starting in May,no certainty.It,ll will be behind closed doors and could be until 2021 and to  be fair the Germans have better grip on the virus than we do

Never underestimate ze Germans.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I'm not a fan of summer football. Think the calendar is fine as it is.

Summer football is achievable if you put your mind to it. Last Junior games are often in June, friendlies start in July. People that say they want to change aren't trying

I posted this a few pages back.

German government have announced no gatherings of over 5000 people to be held until at least 24th October.

Their 20/21 season won’t be starting on time anyway.

Summer football is achievable if you put your mind to it. Last Junior games are often in June, friendlies start in July. People that say they want to change aren't trying

Do you not think winter in Scotland is depressing enough without taking away the fitba too?

It’s the one thing that gets a lot of people through tbh.

Not a fan of Summer football when there’s other options....

Just now, roman_bairn said:

Do you not think winter in Scotland is depressing enough without taking away the fitba too?
It’s the one think that gets a lot of people through tbh.
Not a fan of Summer football when there’s other options....

Did you read all of what I said? I said summer football is available if you look for it without changing the season.

Did you read all of what I said? I said summer football is available if you look for it without changing the season.

Yep, point taken.
My point still stands though. I genuinely never understand all these people that call for summer football.
Football over the Xmas period is one of the best things to look forward to...

1 hour ago, lionel wickson said:

Why are you putting this in a league thread where most of the teams are part time?

The criteria contains hiring multiple busses to get your squad to games, no crowds allowed in, and paying for Covid tests before every match and halfway through the training week.

How is that financially possible for teams in Scottish League One?