The SPFL recommendation?

1 minute ago, Pesadilla said:

It's not self interest to see out the season. I've already said, we're massive outsiders. 

Season ticket holders have every right to expect those to be honoured. Sponsors would expect the same.  The fairest and most equitable thing to do is see out the season. Teams should be able to apply for an advance on their prize money up to the lowest point they could mathematically finish in their league campaign.

I understand you want it called now for your own clubs gain, but you must agree that seeing it out is the fairest thing to do?

What I don't want is to ruin 2 seasons - better to call it a day for this season.

I'd prefer no relegation but reward the top 2 in each (lower) league but the SPFL would never be able or willing to restructure so quickly. 

Don't really agree with this part of your statement. Leagues have been won by teams, including ourselves, from further back than 5 points with 8 to go. From a morale point of view, a vote for the resolution is a boot in the stones to the players and management team who surely, and rightly, would still have one eye on the title even if we were rank outsiders.

This is the reason the vote result absolutely baffles me. Many clubs clearly don't share the fans optimism or ambition, though I do get that many are on survival mode.

What I do think stinks though, is the rumours going round that ourselves and Falkirk were pressured into voting yes and Dundee will change their vote for supposed 'glamour' friendlies.

It's an absolute shambles and I'd much prefer to see the season out whenever possible even if it means delaying the start of next season/cancelling the Mickey Mouse cup etc etc.

I argued the case on another thread last night we could still win the league. It’s absolutely not inconceivable (Raith lose to ourselves and Falkirk for instance and we could go above them).

It won’t be played out though (unless the issues with contracts can be sorted) and there is little chance anyone will give two hoots about those in the play off spots. Our own club has voted to accept the deal (not saying that’s right or wrong but it won’t help the case) and I doubt anyone else will go to war for us. I don’t think dramatic reconstruction (eg 14 team leagues across all) would carry enough support. At best I could envisage 2 being put up. For me, I honestly think we’re out the equation (so no skin in the game), although I don’t think for a moment it’s fair.

Just now, Airdrie76 said:

I argued the case on another thread last night we could still win the league. It’s absolutely not inconceivable (Raith lose to ourselves and Falkirk for instance and we could go above them).
It won’t be played out though and there is little chance anyone will give two hoots about those in the play off spots. Our own club has voted to accept the deal (not saying that’s right or wrong but it won’t help the case) and I doubt anyone else will go to war for us. At best I could envisage 2 being put up. For me, I honestly think we’re out the equation, although I don’t think for a moment it’s fair.

Said all along Raith could just as easily finish fourth as they could first its not unusual for teams to collapse on the final run in, i do believe the top 4 teams the margin of points per game is somewhere like 0.02 

3 minutes ago, pantene proV said:

What I don't want is to ruin 2 seasons - better to call it a day for this season.

I'd prefer no relegation but reward the top 2 in each (lower) league but the SPFL would never be able or willing to restructure so quickly. 

I don't think two seasons would be ruined.

We get rid of the abomination of the Caramel Wafer cup - that clearly doesn't have fan buy in. No preseason 'glamour' friendlies for anyone. A short break to allow the players some rest time then off we go again. I pretty much guarantee that if Falkirk were above you, you'd be advocating the same thing.

Just now, roverthemoon said:

Dundee still fucking about and not making a decision.  It’s surely up to all the clubs to discuss reconstruction and any potential shape of it and not just them and whoever they are in discussions with. Farcical 

The thing that gets me is even if they do vote Yes they have no credibility left and voted a Yes for the scraps the Premiership threw them.rather than do whats right. 

First resolution is anyone called Dundee fc automatically gets promoted.

Integrity and impartiality? That's a feckin joke when you've got one team trying to fix the future of scottish football and noone else.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Recent history suggests that’s pretty inconceivable tbh...

You’ve missed the bit off where I said “Airdrie beating Raith is a stretch based on recent records”. Bit snide of you in a poor attempt to look clever but hey ho.

In any case, there’s other teams capable of beating Raith instead. Recent history suggests that it’s pretty conceivable that your arsehole would completely go when you’re put under any sort of pressure tbh.

6 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Dundee still fucking about and not making a decision.  It’s surely up to all the clubs to discuss reconstruction and any potential shape of it and not just them and whoever they are in discussions with. Farcical 

They're clearly loving their moment in the sun and don't plan to give it up any time soon. Meanwhile the Cockwomble is hiding away and, most ludicrously of all, this resolution still appears to be on the table. Farce

12 minutes ago, Pesadilla said:

We get rid of the abomination of the Caramel Wafer cup - that clearly doesn't have fan buy in. No preseason 'glamour' friendlies for anyone. A short break to allow the players some rest time then off we go again. I pretty much guarantee that if Falkirk were above you, you'd be advocating the same thing.

That just wouldn’t work at this level though, players are out of contract in June. Players aren’t going to sign up for a year not knowing what division they will be in. We had the situation last year where Nisbet could leave for free if we weren’t promoted.

If you are suggesting we extend contracts to cover the end of the ‘current’ season, you are then only giving teams a ‘short break’ to sign, potentially a whole new squad of players? I assume a short break you mean only a couple of weeks so to avoid having to do another full pre season? That’s without even discussing managers. For instance John McGlynn’s contract expires at the end of this season. If we resumed the season and somehow finished 5th he would be sacked. We’d be then looking to find and appoint a manager then put together a new squad during a ‘short break’.

Finishing the season is absolutely the fairest option if it was at all workable and football was likely to be played anytime in the next 3-4 months but that is not the case. Ending the season is definitely the right call and the only option. How we end it is what should rightly be up for debate (call it, null and void, reconstruction etc).

Edited by R.R.FC

4 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

You’ve missed the bit off where I said “Airdrie beating Raith is a stretch based on recent records”. Bit snide of you in a poor attempt to look clever but hey ho.

In any case, there’s other teams capable of beating Raith instead. Recent history suggests that it’s pretty conceivable that your arsehole would completely go when you’re put under any sort of pressure tbh.

Oaft, just a wee joke mate settle down. Being constantly pumped rotten by us over recent years has clearly taken it’s toll.

We are not finishing this season, anyone who thinks this has been in lock down too long.  The season is done be it Null & Void, call it or restructure the leagues.  Football will be about the last thing to come out of lock down we won't see a ball kicked this side of summer and closed door games are pie in the sky as no player should be putting themselves at risk and players Union will be all over this and that's before we get into the minefield of transfer windows, player contracts.  

12 minutes ago, Pesadilla said:

No I wouldn't as its completely unworkable. I'd still be advocating 2 up and end the season.

How are the SPFL meant to find sponsors for next season when they cant say when itll start? 

Theres players contracts, season tickets , new shirt deals - basically everything takes time. Yet chuck a cup out the window and a few friendlies and we've caught up? 

Sorry, you're wired to the moon.

11 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

That just wouldn’t work at this level though, players are out of contract in June. Players aren’t going to sign up for a year not knowing what division they will be in. We had the situation last year where Nisbet could leave for free if we weren’t promoted.

If you are suggesting we extend contracts to cover the end of the ‘current’ season, you are then only giving teams a ‘short break’ to sign, potentially a whole new squad of players? I assume a short break you mean only a couple of weeks so to avoid having to do another full pre season? That’s without even discussing managers. For instance John McGlynn’s contract expires at the end of this season. If we resumed the season and somehow finished 5th he would be sacked. We’d be then looking to find and appoint a manager then put together a new squad during a ‘short break’.

Finishing the season is absolutely the fairest option if it was at all workable and football was likely to be played anytime in the next 3-4 months but that is not the case. Ending the season is definitely the right call and the only option. How we end it is what should rightly be up for debate (call it, null and void, reconstruction etc).

The same applies to every level. There'll be teams with in the Champions league with players of of contract at the end of the season, and sure as shit that'll get played to a conclusion.

Of course what we need is leadership from the governing body here. I don't see why the season cannot resume mid-June (I expect that's when we'll be out of this lockdown) playing two games a week to mid-July. Start next season at the end of August. Contracts and shit like that can be worked out under these exceptional circumstances. 

3 minutes ago, pantene proV said:

No I wouldn't as its completely unworkable. I'd still be advocating 2 up and end the season.

How are the SPFL meant to find sponsors for next season when they cant say when itll start? 

Theres players contracts, season tickets , new shirt deals - basically everything takes time. Yet chuck a cup out the window and a few friendlies and we've caught up? 

Sorry, you're wired to the moon.

We have time. There's weeks of lockdown left to work out the detail.