League Reconstruction 20/21 season

7 minutes ago, Ric said:

Thankfully not too much on here, although I feel the couple that I've seen have been more intentional banter than out and out of vitriol. I fear what some of the less moderated single club forums are like.

Any part of the country returning a Conservative representative should be ashamed of itself. I feel that's not relevant to the League Reconstruction debate, so I'll leave it at that.

15 local authority councillors in Dumfries .

6 Labour ,4 SNP. and 5 Tories.

D&G Council a Labour /SNP coalition .

Perth and Kinross Council run by.....the Tories .

I rest my case ,M'Lud.

As you said ,off topic , so I'll leave it there too .

Just now, Doonhamer1969 said:

Except Dobbie hasn't retired ...

Hes playing for a team 9th in the second tier, he virtually has m8.

Glad you didnt continue down the route of claiming Saints were in £800k of debt though, that wouldve been embarrassing. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes playing for a team 9th in the second tier, he virtually has m8.

Glad you didnt continue down the route of claiming Saints were in £800k of debt though, that wouldve been embarrassing. 

The only time I can remember anything remotely close was when Geoff  paid for Dodds and McMartin out of his own pocket, then got the money back a couple of months later. Couldn't tell you what year that was though.

4 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Did we not pap you out of a cup last season?

Imagine being a St Johnstone reject? Minter.

How many of St Johnstone's current squad have played for Swansea ,Blackpool etc,played in the English Championship and Premiership ?

Just now, Doonhamer1969 said:

How many of St Johnstone's current squad have played for Swansea ,Blackpool etc,played in the English Championship and Premiership ?

Our manager played for Newcastle in the Premiership, does that mean hes our best goalkeeper?

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

The only time I can remember anything remotely close was when Geoff  paid for Dodds and McMartin out of his own pocket, then got the money back a couple of months later. Couldn't tell you what year that was though.

He took the money back, with interest.

You'll never, ever get *insert generic lower league side who never reach the top flight* fans not claiming Geoff Brown single handedly pumped millions in to drive us to success. That's clearly we spent the best part of a decade in the second tier under him...

Just now, ali_91 said:

Maybury played in the Prem, time to scrap his coaching roll and get him in the first team. 

So did Alec Cleland, not sure why we bother signing defenders tbh, our best ones are in the dugout.

15 hours ago, Falcor Roar said:

7/7 means that a team has to sit a game out every round. Perhaps it's an option to consider though.  

6/8 has 2 advantages. The 4 extra games for the bottom half clubs mitigates against the loss of revenue from gate receipts against the larger clubs that would end up in the top half.  Also the teams in the top half are more likely to be in the latter stages of cup competitions anyway and have extra games to play. 

I'm not sure exactly why such a system would necessitate fans staying at home or the 'tables' finishing at radically different times considering the total difference would be 4 games? The EPL and EFL has a difference of 8 games + playoff rounds and its not an issue. 

The main drawback of a league of 14 is that the split needs to happen mid February. If you're in 7th on GD at that point then your remaining games lack value. A jump in prize money for 7th compared to 8th would help to some degree. If there were 4 Euro places to be won through the league then you could include 7th in a playoff for that spot however, I believe we will only get an additional Euro place the season after next and some might argue whether that system is sporting. Personally I think it would work well provided higher placing gained home advantage. 

The issue with 16 teams is getting the magic 4 OF games which, like it or not, are key to getting a decent TV deal. Do you play a split round 3 and then a 'bonus' 1st vs 2nd playoff? That's the only way I can think to make that work and you still end up with the fixture imbalances that we have under the current setup. It also dilutes the Championship a tad too much in my opinion. 

The problem for a country of Scotland's size is that there are disadvantages to every size of league. That's why other similar nations also have wacky setups.10 is too repetitive. 12 has unbalanced fixtures. 14 split is too early. 16 not enough games or unbalanced fixtures. 18 dilutes the championship too much, meaningless mid table games and not attractive for tv....

Do away with the midweek games in December and the split could be into March.

7 minutes ago, Doonhamer1969 said:

Well since then at least two Tories have papped out on their arse so...

6 hours ago, Bohemian said:

Out of interest has any other league ever done this? Have a rest week for a team I mean. 

Domestically, I'm not sure but the Europa League at its inception had 5 team groups for a few years so teams had free weeks.

It's also not unknown for UEFA qualifying groups to be in group sizes of 5 or 7. So those teams also have free weeks. It's certainly not a novel concept in football.