League Reconstruction 20/21 season

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Hopefully it will go the same way as Wings v Dugdale, case dismissed and Wings having to pay both sides costs.

That was a massively flawed court judgement and certainly not one I would hold up as an acceptable outcome.

Had a look at the three promoted sides' websites, to see that they had posted identical statements, but was diverted by this on the Raith Rovers page:

On This Day 1983
Schoolboy form signing Iain Livingstone was in the Scotland U16 pool for the UEFA Championship match against Iceland.

That boy's the Chief Constable of Police Scotland now. Not Chief Commissioner Cameron Miekelson, the real one.

14 minutes ago, harry94 said:

It's a fair point.

The executive come up with the PPG settlement and worked very quickly to legitimise it into something actionable and gave advice on this, as they are entitled to do.

They were also briefing that pay outs were absolutely impossible without this specific wording and didn't really have an opportunity to be properly critiqued. We were told that any sort of method of paying out early and realigning in future seasons or even just resolving to pay out in full on PPG but formally leave the season partially open was completely impossible. When some of the chairman did make references to this sort of action as an alternative, they were quickly derided as not having a credible plan as they hadn't yet had the opportunity to arrange for the relevant groundwork to actually properly assess it.

I'm not saying it was necessarily the wrong decision but there simply wasn't any time to actually consider alternatives and the advice was still coming out on Friday. If the board had actually allowed a few days for another resolution to be properly constructed, I think the rifts would have been more resolvable, especially if the alternative naturally run out of steam and was methodically dismantled.

The actual amounts remaining to be paid, especially to the lower leagues were quite small, and I'd be amazed if the clubs didn't know they had 28 days to decide. The big money to the Premiership clubs wasn't paid out till later anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if Doncaster tried to rush it a bit to impress UEFA while being considered for his new gig.

Edited by welshbairn

25 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Perhaps some extra compensation offered might have generated goodwill in a tough situation. If this was all about preservation of the sky deal then use some of this to try and pacify the affected clubs. On top of being relegated they are having to sook up a reduced season or one that might not start

They're having to pay compo to BT in instalments, where would the money come from? 5 years sky money is already in the budget.

5 hours ago, Aim Here said:

I've not read the actual document so I can't say with absolute 100% certainty, but there is Hearts/Thistle's join statement - "For clarity, our petition does not seek to set aside or unravel the fee payments made to clubs, nor indeed the declaration of Champions, or the nomination of clubs who will participate in European competition."  and "As matters stand, we have not asked the Court to grant an interim interdict which would prevent next Season commencing on 1 August. However, we have to reserve our right to do so in the event that becomes necessary."

If they're okay with the set out prize money and champions declarations that the SPFL has already decided, why demand that something like 40-odd dead-rubbers get played purely to decide promotion and relegation? And can they really play those out AND start the season on the first of August?

It's incredibly hard to reconcile how the relief they're publicly asking for is consistent with forcing the SPFL to play out the extra 8 or so games, and as I say, it fails at the first legal hurdle (assuming Hearts don't perjure themselves to create a conflict of evidence). I'd consider it an established fact, yes.

Nothing in that joint statement says Hearts voted to end the season. Reports at the time seemed confused as to whether the decision to end the Premier was unanimous or by consensus.

45 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Can see Thistle seeing the SPFL and especially the promotion-endangered triumvirate tooling up big time and going

"Shite this is getting serious. They were supposed to fold. You told us they would fold Ann! Why aren't they folding? In fact I don't think you're a successful business woman at all!!"

...and pulling out.

Matron Take Them Away Carry On Camping GIF - MatronTakeThemAway CarryOnCamping CarryOn GIFs

35 minutes ago, The DA said:

I suppose there must be some legal basis but it seems strange to raise a petition against 3 of the SPFL member clubs who had the same input into the decision as every other club.

I can't believe anyone could award costs against us when we didn't actually do anything.

I don't think Hearts have raised an action against United, Raith and Cove (although I haven't checked) but rather against the league and the three promoted teams have been cited as the remedy sought would impact upon them. 

51 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm away to ask a really daft question, but if United/Raith/Cove 'win' will Hearts & Partick Thistle need to foot the legal bills? Would the same work the other way round?

Both cases are/would be against the SPFL.

Of course, DU/RR/Cove will also be getting a warning from the SFA of the severe consequences of legally challenging the SPFL. Aye, right.

It's a fair point. 

The executive come up with the PPG settlement and worked very quickly to legitimise it into something actionable and gave advice on this, as they are entitled to do.

They were also briefing that pay outs were absolutely impossible without this specific wording and didn't really have an opportunity to be properly critiqued. We were told that any sort of method of paying out early and realigning in future seasons or even just resolving to pay out in full on PPG but formally leave the season partially open was completely impossible. When some of the chairman did make references to this sort of action as an alternative, they were quickly derided as not having a credible plan as they hadn't yet had the opportunity to arrange for the relevant groundwork to actually properly assess it.

I'm not saying it was necessarily the wrong decision but there simply wasn't any time to actually consider alternatives and the advice was still coming out on Friday. If the board had actually allowed a few days for another resolution to be properly constructed, I think the rifts would have been more resolvable, especially if the alternative naturally run out of steam and was methodically dismantled.

No matter what system they came up with for deciding final placings Hearts would still be bottom - you can't get away from the fact that they were pish for the best part of the season.

No solution was ever going to be fair - all we hear is how hard done Hearts are - what about those teams who've been denied the opportunity to get promotion through the play-offs? They haven't really complained (bar Falkirk).

9 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Nothing in that joint statement says Hearts voted to end the season. Reports at the time seemed confused as to whether the decision to end the Premier was unanimous or by consensus.

Consensus and unanimous are not mutually exclusive - far from it. There wasn't a formal vote, it was a consultation prior to a board decision, so the idea would have been to achieve consensus, and when you get that, you tend to also get unanimity. Neil Doncaster used the words 'clear and unanimous view' and he was in a position to know.

No matter what system they came up with for deciding final placings Hearts would still be bottom - you can't get away from the fact thgat they were pish for the best part of the season.

No solution was ever going to be fair - all we hear is how hard done Hearts are - what about those teams who've been denied the opportunity to get promotion through the play-offs? They haven't really complained (bar Falkirk).
That's kind of what I'm getting at. The default to PPG and no play offs killed any opportunity of a compromise to take account of anyone else.

Moving on to the reconstruction phase we did was going to be impossible to navigate as it returned everyone to their basic self interest in trying to bring things to a default mode. There was nothing to leverage against it.

Hearts could have pushed for a vote if they had had the support - they did not.

1 minute ago, Aim Here said:

Consensus and unanimous are not mutually exclusive - far from it. There wasn't a formal vote, it was a consultation prior to a board decision, so the idea would have been to achieve consensus, and when you get that, you tend to also get unanimity. Neil Doncaster used the words 'clear and unanimous view' and he was in a position to know.

Giving that Hearts were running corrections on everything at the time they would have made it clear they objected IMO

4 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

No matter what system they came up with for deciding final placings Hearts would still be bottom - you can't get away from the fact thgat they were pish for the best part of the season.

I agree, the proposals that meant no team was relegated were going to tear Scottish football apart. 

Especially when it meant 2 teams would be promoted from each of the lower leagues.

Great point.

Your obviously the thinker of the group.

Edited by MegaRichJambos
HMFC

13 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

They may not have had a physical vote to end the season (because I don't think there was one), but they had previously given that authority to the board, and with it, the prospect of Hearts being relegated.

From the 18th of May.

'This decision enables us to help clubs stay afloat' - Doncaster

SPFL Chief Executive Neil Doncaster gave his thoughts in the official statement...

“On Friday, Ladbrokes Premiership clubs expressed their clear and unanimous view that there was no realistic prospect of completing the outstanding fixtures from Season 2019/20. The SPFL Board met this morning and in line with the express agreement of member clubs in April, the Board determined that League Season 2019/20 and the Ladbrokes Premiership be brought to an end.

“This decision now enables us to pay out around £7 million in fees to help clubs stay afloat during this incredibly difficult time. We will begin processing these payments immediately.

“The focus of all those involved in the game will now turn to how we get football up and running again safely as soon as possible. Next season’s Betfred Cup first round group stage is scheduled to begin in mid-July, with coverage from Premier Sports. The 2020/21 League Season in all four of our Divisions is due to commence on 1 August, which coincides with the start of our new and exclusive five-year broadcasting deal with Sky Sports.

“Nobody should be under any illusion as to how complicated and difficult a challenge it will be to return Scottish football to normality. We will be liaising with Government on the best way forward and working to ensure that all of our 42 clubs are playing football again as soon as humanly possible.”

I agree, the proposals that meant no team was relegated were going to tear Scottish apart. 
Especially when it meant 2 teams would be promoted from each of the lower leagues.
Great point.
Your obviously the thinker of the group.

What about the play-off teams?

Dundee were 4 points off Inverness . . .

... sounds familiar?