Can You Tell Where It Is Yet?

12 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

When someone posts the link showing they have found the location and it takes me to the street view of the area, is there any way I can actually see where it is in the world on a map?

I'm browsing using my phone 

If it's google earth, click the top left arrow. Just tried the same on google maps and it didn't work, so not sure.

22 hours ago, GordonS said:

Spent ages on this one with no luck. It's suspiciously busy which makes me think it must be to do with some event, but I can't place it.

Rhue Lighthouse and car park, just north of Ullapool. Thought the lighthouse might help but it’s not actually listed on the NLB website so must just be classified as a navigation aid.

9A3BC35A-ECD0-48EE-BC31-D2AE801D1EDC.png

41 minutes ago, Snobot said:

Rhue Lighthouse and car park, just north of Ullapool. Thought the lighthouse might help but it’s not actually listed on the NLB website so must just be classified as a navigation aid.

Dammit, I worked my way round the list of lighthouses. I'd love to know what was going on when the Streetview car came round, I'm sure that car park would never normally be that busy, everyone is facing west and a few have cameras on tripods. I'd wondered if it might be something to do with the 2015 eclipse, which would have made this somewhere on the east coast. So if anyone's looking for a lighthouse in Yorkshire...

18 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Elista

Bang on. Europe's only buddhist majority region apparently. 

I've got another if anyones interested? Plenty of currently undeveloped real estate near the centre of this city. 

google.thumb.jpg.593dc56d5130a33245394e0f51f7ba6d.jpg

41 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I guessed the island (well, one of two) really quickly, but it took ages to find the actual site.

https://goo.gl/maps/3bhjmzYedVofr1cv6

Well done.

If you check the Travel Forum you might spot a thread I started back in December after my return from St Helena.

The site was for the people who built the new airport.  It is visible in the background of this picture - the runway can be seen at the end of the path and much more of it to the right of the buildings.  The site is now deserted.  It is about 3 miles away from Longwood House where  Napoleon lived in Exile.

The alternate for this airport is Ascension Island which is 800 miles away.

5 hours ago, Snobot said:

Checked the date for this - July 2011 - and worked out that the crowd is there for the Tall Ships.

55 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Well done.

If you check the Travel Forum you might spot a thread I started back in December after my return from St Helena.

The site was for the people who built the new airport.  It is visible in the background of this picture - the runway can be seen at the end of the path and much more of it to the right of the buildings.  The site is now deserted.  It is about 3 miles away from Longwood House where  Napoleon lived in Exile.

The alternate for this airport is Ascension Island which is 800 miles away.

The vehicle plates are clearly British, and that's not British ground, it's either somewhere too cold for plant life, too volcanic and new or someplace heavily industrial. The buildings on platforms could have been temporary, modular or somewhere cold, but the security guy is in short sleeves. It pretty much immediately made me think of St Helena or Ascension, but that site doesn't look from above like it appears on the ground so I ended up having to search the whole of both bloody islands. I really should have thought to look near the airport though, it's the obvious place for temporary buildings.

Most of what I know about the islands is from a book, Rockhopper Copper by Conrad Glass, who was Chief Islander and a police officer on Tristan de Cunha. It's not a bad read about living in the most isolated community in the world. I wonder if they're all staying indoors just now...

7 hours ago, GordonS said:

Most of what I know about the islands is from a book, Rockhopper Copper by Conrad Glass, who was Chief Islander and a police officer on Tristan de Cunha. It's not a bad read about living in the most isolated community in the world. I wonder if they're all staying indoors just now...

The other books to consider are Outposts by Simon Winchester, The Last Pink Bits by Harry Ritchie and The Teatime Islands by Ben Fogle.

They all go to Tristan da Cunha and St Helena.  They all have a dim view of St Helena, talk about the idea of an airport and wonder if it will ever happen.

It did - obviously - and at huge expenses - but wind shear issues delayed it opening.   I had no problem with the landing at all.

Go on to YouTube and search for "Useful airport".  There is a good documentary to watch.

The interior of the island is very green and full of plant life.  The contrast in only a few miles is staggering.  There are many plants not found anywhere else.  It is really nice.

Also re Tristan da Cunha.  More than half have Asthma.  Do a YouTube search on "Asthma Island".