Best & Worst Goalies

On 19/04/2020 at 17:29, tamthebam said:

For a guy with a knackered knee Geddes had a lengthy career, even winning a Junior Cup in his 40s!

Carson went on loan to Hibs for a couple of games in1987. Seem to recall he was shite but Hibs were fairly shite then anyway.

He copped a bad knee injury in a First Division game against Hibs in late 1980. I mind reading about it in a match programme years ago. He played out the rest of the game but ultimately needed surgery. When he came back he described trying to play with his fucked knee as having to "tense" it up when trying to run or kick. Probably why you hardly ever saw him charge out of the box to intercept a through-ball. Brilliant 'keeper though. 

14 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I really can't recall David Hutton being too bad for us. I'm pretty sure I was sad to see him go. He made an absolute howler for us in the Challenge Cup Final but apart from that he'd be in the decent category for us. 

Robbie McCrorie is probably the best we've had in recent times. Our downward spiral this (last) season coincided with his departure. It highlighted what a good goalkeeper does and it isn't all about saving shots. The guy has a big future in the game and I really hope he leaves The Rangers so I can fully support him :lol:

Worst - Callum Antel or Kris Roberston/Robinson. Can't even mind his name, but he was terrible. Barry John Corr was shite as well but he was clearly a confidence 'keeper and when sections of the support booed when his name was read from the teamsheet, I really don't think he was ever going to do well for us.  

That Robinson boy was something else. I do remember a few games where he seemed impossible to beat though, just really looked like someone who shouldn't have ever trained as a 'keeper.

Barry John Corr had a couple of great games against Dundee for yourselves and Stranraer. Remember thinking he was one of the better 'keepers in the league (him and McEwan for Hamilton) and yet he seemed to disappear. Did he just not have the head for it?

On 18/04/2020 at 16:23, Rob1885 said:

Best: Paul Gallacher, Allan McGregor, Sean Murdoch,

Worst: Mikey Hrivnak, Chris Smith, David Hutton

Decent: Owain Fon-Williams, Dorus De Vries, Greg Fleming, Marco Ruitenbeek, Derek Stillie

Bombscare: Lee Robinson, Cammy Gill, Scully mk II

Murdoch better than Dorus, Marco or Stillie? Dear me.

We’ve had plenty of excellent keepers down the years. Barlow, McGregor, Dorus, Marco, Murdoch etc. Dorus made two huge errors on the day we were relegated in 2007 but we’d have been down much sooner without him that season.

I highly doubt any keeper has had a poorer game than Chris Smith vs St Johnstone, Xmas Eve 2011. The absolute drizzling shits.

Wee shout for Kris Mampaey who gets forgotten about completely but I always thought he was decent.

That Robinson boy was something else. I do remember a few games where he seemed impossible to beat though, just really looked like someone who shouldn't have ever trained as a 'keeper.
Barry John Corr had a couple of great games against Dundee for yourselves and Stranraer. Remember thinking he was one of the better 'keepers in the league (him and McEwan for Hamilton) and yet he seemed to disappear. Did he just not have the head for it?

Corr was subbed off for us at half time close to tears because of our fans were sarcastically cheering any save he made and started chanting for our sub keeper on the bench. If I had to guess I’d say he didn’t have it in him no.

Never forget the time Lee Robinson went on a Fifa style mazy deep into our half whilst playing QotS at home. Our team just kept backing off, and off and off.

Mugged us right off.

2 hours ago, harry94 said:

Corr was the worst type of goalkeeper you want: a confidence one. He showed in glimpses he was capable but his own self doubt appeared to hinder him more. He wasn't great for us but Antell was worse. We've been pretty lucky with GK's, especially when utilising the loan market. 

19 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

We’ve had plenty of excellent keepers down the years. Barlow, McGregor, Dorus, Marco, Murdoch etc. Dorus made two huge errors on the day we were relegated in 2007 but we’d have been down much sooner without him that season.

I highly doubt any keeper has had a poorer game than Chris Smith vs St Johnstone, Xmas Eve 2011. The absolute drizzling shits.

Wee shout for Kris Mampaey who gets forgotten about completely but I always thought he was decent.

De Vries was absolutely outstanding for us. Can't believe anyone would think he was only 'ok'. Laughable.

Regarding forgotten keepers, Lee Butler is a prime candidate. He was excellent but fucked off (to somewhere like Oxford I think) for more cash.

Westie needs to be in the top category. Club legend and genuinely good keeper too.

1 minute ago, Speroni*1 said:

I remember Marco Ruitenbeek being a good keeper for Dunfermline but Wikipedia suggests he was dropped for Derek Stillie. 

Marco was excellent for the most part. Stillie did come in though and to be fair, absolutely deserved his place in the team. I can't remember at all anytime Stillie made a huge error except when leaving the club to study English Law and taking the wrong direction to play for Utd. 

34 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Is that the one where just randomly conceded from a corner for no discernible reason?

I'm sure I went. Corner came in and looked like missing everyone, he comes out and it somehow ended up in the net, can't even remember celebrating properly as had no idea what had happened.

When you see some of the names Dundee, Dunfermline and Thistle fans are throwing out, us The Caley fans don't know how good we've had it 'keeper wise.

On 18/04/2020 at 18:50, Speroni*1 said:

Dave McEwan.

There used to be highlights of the game Dunfermline won 5-0 in 2005. Can't find them anywhere. Worst goalkeeping performance I've ever witnessed in professional football from Derek Soutar.

Footage starts about a minute and a half in, first goal is hilarious. 

I was mascot for that game, Jim Leishman returning to save us from the drop, top boy. 

14 hours ago, Speroni*1 said:

Geddes put in a top performance for us against Raith away back in 2010 at the grand old age of 49.

Was annoyed when I heard Dundee were playing a c**t with a bus pass against Raith (title race and all that) but I'm positive Dundee won, or at least didn't lose. 

1 hour ago, Speroni*1 said:

I remember Marco Ruitenbeek being a good keeper for Dunfermline but Wikipedia suggests he was dropped for Derek Stillie. 

Big Marko is my favourite ever keeper, use to score bicycle kicks at half time. I preferred him to Stillie tbh. 

57 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is that the one where just randomly conceded from a corner for no discernible reason?

I'm sure I went. Corner came in and looked like missing everyone, he comes out and it somehow ended up in the net, can't even remember celebrating properly as had no idea what had happened.

Aye, it was Smiths first game back, he'd been dodgy in the championship but with Barlow being our first choice he was probably going to be OK as backup, Barlow got a bad injury the week before at Tyne Castle in the last minute, Smith came in, lots of support for him because he was renowned as a confidence keeper. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/16334662

Fucking shite. 

6 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Was annoyed when I heard Dundee were playing a c**t with a bus pass against Raith (title race and all that) but I'm positive Dundee won, or at least didn't lose.

We lost 1-0 but he couldn't do anything about the goal and made a few decent saves.

9 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Some of the worst defending you'll ever see from Jason Thomson there, (dis)ably assisted by Keddie and backed up by 'Smoke for hands' Chris Smith.

Genuine comedy stuff. Thomson in particular is atrocious there, especially for the second, but he's also at fault for the third and his extreme pishness almost gifted Saints another couple (like when he just fell over and Sandaza hit the bar). One of the worst individual performances ever seen at East End.

Also, fucking Peter Enkleman was in goal for St Johnstone and made a big clattering arse that Barrowman nearly scored from first half. Smith definitely with a 'hold my beer' effort to his opposing number though.