Scottish championship team of the year /BBC picker

Pretty sure it looks like Queen of the South minus Dobbie
Tbf, Holt, Mercer, Semple, Kilday and Lyon have put in decent performances at times this season. That's a back 4 there so obviously as a unit something isn't working. Though we were pretty decent at the back until McCrorie went to Livi. It turned to shit when Ross Stewart came in.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
32 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:
Pretty sure it looks like Queen of the South minus Dobbie

Tbf, Holt, Mercer, Semple, Kilday and Lyon have put in decent performances at times this season. That's a back 4 there so obviously as a unit something isn't working. Though we were pretty decent at the back until McCrorie went to Livi. It turned to shit when Ross Stewart came in.

Brownlie was our best defender until the week before he went to Thistle too. It's too simple to just blame McCrorie's departure though I'd agree it was the biggest factor.

Decided to attempt an XI with one player from each team, Dundee Utd being the side to get two for obvious reasons.

championship-toty-2020-1eeec66af1bae34c1c1087db4c7e5247.thumb.jpg.b18b9280220fbc00f090a54246dc318b.jpg

That's an insane 4-1-5 with three centre forwards and two wingers rather than a conventional 4-3-3 but it'd win the league anyway. Suppose I could have replaced O'Hara with Flannigan for a 4-4-2 but that would be much less fun.

13 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

One shudders to think what the league worst XI looks like.

The Morton keeper who they had at the start was atrocious, they realised that and at least got Rodgers. 

Scully and Gill were the 2nd and 3rd worst keepers, I'd genuinely say that neither would be many teams second choices. 

Jack Hamilton is a hilariously terrible keeper, but the worst keeper I watched this season was that Ramsbottom guy. Didn't look like a footballer.

12 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You realise we weren't bottom, right?

Yes but your performances since losing a few players shows that what's left is, almost certainly, the worst team in the division. Dobbie still carries enough of a threat to be excluded from the rest

The goalkeepers in this division are largely an embarrassment to the profession. A mere ten or so year ago you had the likes of Rab Douglas, Tomas Cerny & Michael McGovern strutting their stuff and now the best of the division is apparently Mark Ridgers, Benjamin Siegrist & Ross Doohan. Tragic state of affairs.

The goalkeepers in this division are largely an embarrassment to the profession. A mere ten or so year ago you had the likes of Rab Douglas, Tomas Cerny & Michael McGovern strutting their stuff and now the best of the division is apparently Mark Ridgers, Benjamin Siegrist & Ross Doohan. Tragic state of affairs.
Doohan is over-rated by Ayr fans IMO but he's still a good goalkeeper. Ridgers has looked really good any time I've seen him. McCrorie is still raw but he's probably the best goalkeeper I've seen in a QoS jersey for a long time. I fully expect he'll be Scotland No. 1 in the not too distant future.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:
42 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

Doohan is over-rated by Ayr fans IMO but he's still a good goalkeeper. Ridgers has looked really good any time I've seen him. McCrorie is still raw but he's probably the best goalkeeper I've seen in a QoS jersey for a long time. I fully expect he'll be Scotland No. 1 in the not too distant future.

He's not got much competition once Marshall retires so I'm not sure how much of a compliment that is!

Ramsbottom is comfortably the worst keeper in the division, Hamilton second. I don’t know what the latter’s level actually is but he certainly hasn’t found it yet.

Guest Flash
2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Yes but your performances since losing a few players shows that what's left is, almost certainly, the worst team in the division. Dobbie still carries enough of a threat to be excluded from the rest

I don’t think there is any doubt that we were the worst team in the division in what was played of the second half of the season. The form table for the last 10 games is effectively the league table for the second half before it was stopped.

Five points separated the 8 teams outside the relegation places. Ayr were 8th on 12 points. Then a drop of 4 points to Thistle on 8 points. Then a further drop of 5 points to us in 10th on 3 points from 10 games.  

We were on course for 50 points for the season at the halfway point. The second half of the season form was the equivalent of 11 points for the season.

https://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=scotland2

Hard to pick a worst XI tbh considering a lot of the really really shite players hardly play. For example Henk Van Shaik is easily the worst player I’ve seen at Somerset this season but he was punted pretty soon after so I’m not sure he’d qualify. Ramsbottom is also Morton’s second choice goalie I think.

If I’m going on players I’ve seen against Ayr this season then,

Sam Ramsbottom

Steven Saunders
Troy Brown
Henk Van Shaik

Peter Pawlett
Lewis Kidd
Stuart Bannigan
Cameron Blues
Joe Cardle

Kenny Miller
Kris Doolan

2 hours ago, Speroni*1 said:

I think there’s been a growing trend that clubs still want strong 2nd or even 3rd choice keepers available. When big squads started to become normal at the top end of the game clubs were still happy enough to have 1 keeper as 1st choice and 1 just about competent guy who could hold the shirt for a couple of weeks and that’s it.  As a result the lower down the levels you go the standard has suffered badly.

Taking the 2 guys still playing.  cerny is sitting on the bench at Aberdeen and McGovern doesn’t even do that at Norwich.