LUCKY NUMBER 7 ~ The Hamilton Academical 2020/2021 Thread.

14 hours ago, FuzzyBear said:

Rice may be a coach but he is not very good at that. Would take Yogi in a heartbeat.

Yogi?? John Hughes?? The John Hughes that took Raith Rovers into the third tier of Scottish football? 

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

With all due respect, why would Tommy Wright be interested in managing Hamilton Accies?

Club who have been in the top flight for 11 out of the last 15 years,good youth policy and a Club who give Managers leeway to mould a team without knee jerk sackings. 

Budget wouldn't be a lot less either than at Perth and Accies fans give Managers time before we turn against them.

However,Boardroom interference,the Circus of "more than a football club" with everything that entails at our club and what is perceived as a lack of ambition in the boardroom would put paid to all but the desperate.

Wasn't always like that though as the Sir Alex Neil era showed.

Edited by Ye Olde Hamiltonian

8 hours ago, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

Club who have been in the top flight for 11 out of the last 15 years,good youth policy and a Club who give Managers leeway to mould a team without knee jerk sackings. 

Budget wouldn't be a lot less either than at Perth and Accies fans give Managers time before we turn against them.

However,Boardroom interference,the Circus of "more than a football club" with everything that entails at our club and what is perceived as a lack of ambition in the boardroom would put paid to all but the desperate.

Wasn't always like that though as the Sir Alex Neil era showed.

Pretty sure TW managed the boardroom pretty well at Saints, who are also a 'community club'. 

Not so sure about the budget being comparable, but importantly Tommy absolutely despises artificial pitches. 

As stated above it will never, ever happen. 

On 08/10/2020 at 01:26, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

Budget wouldn't be a lot less either than at Perth

According to our chairman he had the 6th biggest wage bill in the league last season.

On 08/10/2020 at 01:26, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

Club who have been in the top flight for 11 out of the last 15 years...

That's an incredible statistic, fair play. If I was more cynical, I'd be tempted to speculate that there are dubious activities going on at Accies, for you to have had the success you have had on the crowds you get. Money laundering? That might explain money you 'lost' to 'Nigerian scammers', as well.

3 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

That's an incredible statistic, fair play. If I was more cynical, I'd be tempted to speculate that there are dubious activities going on at Accies, for you to have had the success you have had on the crowds you get. Money laundering? That might explain money you 'lost' to 'Nigerian scammers', as well.

Its probably because they understand their standing, don't implode after a run of losses, and just work like f**k as a club to stay up. 

You've got "bigger" clubs, who have convinced themselves their top 6 quality, so spend their season having meltdowns every time they lose.

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its probably because they understand their standing, don't implode after a run of losses, and just work like f**k as a club to stay up. 

You've got "bigger" clubs, who have convinced themselves their top 6 quality, so spend their season having meltdowns every time they lose.

Speaking of clubs punching well above their weight...

Aye, we're not a top six club and would struggle to regularly finish there. But you're a Mickey Mouse outfit with nae fans. How many season tickets have you sold? Did you manage treble figures?

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Mate, our manager just offered fans a square-go over the internet and our previous manager got sacked shortly after his dad tried to fight fans. 

18 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Accies fans on here that would batter Brian Rice:- Bert Racoon (while keeping his cigarette in his mouth). That is all.

I've stopped smoking but your point is still perfectly valid.

On 10/10/2020 at 19:52, Ralstonite said:

There has been all sorts going on over the years allegedly

The early years after Watson was like a remake of Goodfellows in The Directors Box.

Notwithstanding,the club are very good at renting out office space in the Stadium although we will be taking a big hit in 2021 as South Lanarkshire Council are moving out of the offices in The Spice of Life Stand which brings in 300k a year.

As for the fan jibes,I am of a generation where we had a decent home support.The more successful we have become,the more we have lost fans through a variety of reasons: increased  costs of a day at the football, turgid, dire football, "The Canning effect" which led to a 39% decrease in home attendance, a club which treats it's fans as "us v them", plenty older fans dying off and youngsters not replacing them of fcuking off glory hunting to The Old Firm and the seven years playing away games every week.

As the club from Scotland's biggest town,surely the question you should ask yourself is why you do so badly compared to the likes of Killie or Motherwell instead of cheap jibes at a club who have been in the top League more often than your own in recent times.

Edited by Ye Olde Hamiltonian

18 hours ago, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

There has been all sorts going on over the years allegedly

The early years after Watson was like a remake of Goodfellows in The Directors Box.

Notwithstanding,the club are very good at renting out office space in the Stadium although we will be taking a big hit in 2021 as South Lanarkshire Council are moving out of the offices in The Spice of Life Stand which brings in 300k a year.

As for the fan jibes,I am of a generation where we had a decent home support.The more successful we have become,the more we have lost fans through a variety of reasons: increased  costs of a day at the football, turgid, dire football, "The Canning effect" which led to a 39% decrease in home attendance, a club which treats it's fans as "us v them", plenty older fans dying off and youngsters not replacing them of fcuking off glory hunting to The Old Firm and the seven years playing away games every week.

As the club from Scotland's biggest town,surely the question you should ask yourself is why you do so badly compared to the likes of Killie or Motherwell instead of cheap jibes at a club who have been in the top League more often than your own in recent times.

An interesting post, thanks.

Paisley might be Scotland's biggest town, but Ibrox is approximately five miles from Paisley town centre, and Celtic Park less than ten. I live in Paisley and Ibrox is literally closer to my house than St. Mirren Park. If I go to the golf club, for example, the majority of members seem to support Rangers. I think our proximity to the Old Firm clubs costs us very dearly indeed, though admittedly that's true for many clubs.

On 15/10/2020 at 02:44, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

Agree, but would add that the homeless years didn't help. Other clubs who have experienced this also suffer in the long term by losing fans who just got out of the habit of going to the game.

Fans of other clubs must feel this way too, but seeing the trains leave Hamilton around 2pm on a Saturday full of OF fans when the Accies are at home is a depressing sight.

Edited by Academically Deficient
Spelling

3 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

Agree, but would add that the homeless years didn't help. Other clubs who have experienced this also suffer in the long term by losing fans who just got out of the habit of going to the game.

Fans of other clubs must feel this way too, but seeing the trains leave Hamilton around 2pm on a Saturday full of OF fans when the Accies are at home is a depressing sight.

On the plus side , it must raise the average IQ of Hamilton by a fair bit, for a few hours.

Shipping 3 goals in 30 minutes to a team that scored only 4 in 10 full games previous...coupled with the Annan humiliation, could this be the end for Rice?
He's very lucky no crowds are there, as the Cannin...I mean Rice get to F chants would be very apparent for all to hear. 

Hiding from videos interviews after Annan really said it all, he put out a strong squad and they simply aren't playing to the best of their abilities. Sheer luck got us through surviving last season, as with his predecessor he seems to be tactically inept and forever playing bingo starting 11.  Shoestring budget absolutely, however it seems he isn't improving any of the players, if anything they're going backwards. 

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I was fully behind Rice until the Annan game. He can now GTF as far as I'm concerned. Not so much the result, which was a disgrace admittedly, but more the comments afterwards.

I do find it is the sign of a manager with no grip left when he starts to attack fans opinions instead of being able to take the blame and suggest he's going to do better. 

I'm around 70% sure that Brian Rice will not be our manager by the middle of January 2021.

20% of the doubt comes from the fact his contract is up at the end of the season. Only 10% comes from our board taking too long to punt managers.