Closed Doors Live Streaming.

Closed Doors Live Streaming   

242 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Fair enough on iPlayer, I’ve never really futzed with it that much. Just wondering if Hearts had been given an inkling their games would be heavily in the rotation on BBC Scotland, but thinking about it, that was a given.

As it will be mainly Hearts away games, I dont suppose they will care. They will only have two home games, same as everyone else

3 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Hadn’t considered that, but a fair point. Is a PPV stream watchable (legally) without a TV license on a monitor or device? 

Yes, unless its BBC content. 

4 hours ago, Parttimesupporter said:

I believe it is quite common for 'youngsters' to opt out of having a TV licence and pay for Netflix or the likes instead.  If you opt out of a TV licence you have to undertake not to view i-player, and will be subject to the same fine as for viewing an unlicensed TV if caught.

You’re also only allowed to watch the other terrestrial tv channels on catch up. You need a licence to watch them live online.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

You’re also only allowed to watch the other terrestrial tv channels on catch up. You need a licence to watch them live online.

To watch iPlayer you need to register, a dummy email address would suffice, the all you have to do is lie when asked if you have a license.

All of the above is what I've overheard in the pub a while ago.

10 minutes ago, The Master said:

To legally watch any broadcast TV, regardless of delivery medium, you need a TV licence. 

I can’t think of any reason why this wouldn’t include live streams of matches on club websites. 

You don't need a TV licence to watch e-sports or general streamers online. Surely this would fall under the same bracket?

14 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

You don't need a TV licence to watch e-sports or general streamers online. Surely this would fall under the same bracket?

Law Question Answered

This googled link explains quite nicely that it would be required. And I would suggest also that what you suggest would require it too. It says basically if it only plays at all because you hit play you don't need a licence to watch it. If it's playing live anyway whether you hit play or not then if you watch it you need a tv licence to do so and that in theory it would also apply to a Facebook Live stream!

EDIT - Googled it in more depth on a forum. Some very different opinions offered but for what it's worth someone emailed TV Licensing themselves and asked if all you did was view streams of gamers on You Tube would you need a licence and they confirmed that you would NOT. Which is consistent with your comment Ludo. The situation on a UK live football match is more grey however, Seems to hinge on whether it can genuinely be considered a "tv channel". I suspect it probably is but I'm not a lawyer.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

5 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Law Question Answered

This googled link explains quite nicely that it would be required. And I would suggest also that what you suggest would require it too. It says basically if it only plays at all because you hit play you don't need a licence to watch it. If it's playing live anyway whether you hit play or not then if you watch it you need a tv licence to do so and that in theory it would also apply to a Facebook Live stream!

EDIT - Googled it in more depth on a forum. Some very different opinions offered but for what it's worth someone emailed TV Licensing themselves and asked if all you did was view streams of gamers on You Tube would you need a licence and they confirmed that you would NOT. Which is consistent with your comment Ludo. The situation on a UK live football match is more grey however, Seems to hinge on whether it can genuinely be considered a "tv channel". I suspect it probably is but I'm not a lawyer.

Make sense, but does make me wonder why they wouldn’t let me buy a license and watch the iPlayer in the U.S.? Seems a no brainer for getting a little cash from people who don’t want to fiddle with VPN’s and stuff. Probably related to the recorded stuff only for a license holder outside the U.K., but still strange.

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Law Question Answered

A TV licence is required to watch Amazon’s live English Premier League games, and other than the size of the operation there isn’t really any technical difference between that offering, and what will be available from clubs.

11 minutes ago, The Master said:

A TV licence is required to watch Amazon’s live English Premier League games, and other than the size of the operation there isn’t really any technical difference between that offering, and what will be available from clubs.

Tend to agree. Like I said, I'm no lawyer. I guess someone might argue a club streaming platform is not a 'tv channel' unlike say Amazon which presumably broadcasts more than one thing? My feeling is though that technically you'd need a tv licence to watch a live stream of QoS v Dundee. 

15 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Are folk actually going to buy a TV licence to watch a stream of SPFL games?!

You'll never be caught. They have no way of tracking it for a start.

I don't think anyone is seriously debating that, just a principle about whether or not you actually need one? Surely everyone is already covered by a tv licence in reality unless they are consciously a licence dodger in which case watching streaming football isn't going to change their opinion.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Tend to agree. Like I said, I'm no lawyer. I guess someone might argue a club streaming platform is not a 'tv channel' unlike say Amazon which presumably broadcasts more than one thing? My feeling is though that technically you'd need a tv licence to watch a live stream of QoS v Dundee. 

Yes, I'm not a lawyer either so I hope nobody is basing a potential course of action on what either of us is posting!

I suspect there's very technical legal arguments around the definitions of "streaming platform" and "TV channel" in this specific context, but we'll never actually hear them because there's next to no chance of anyone ending up in court after non-payment of a fine for not having a TV Licence while watching live streams of their club's games.

53 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I don't think anyone is seriously debating that, just a principle about whether or not you actually need one? Surely everyone is already covered by a tv licence in reality unless they are consciously a licence dodger in which case watching streaming football isn't going to change their opinion.

There will likely be a small group that legitimately don't have a licence (i.e. they choose not to watch "live" TV or iPlayer content), but are intending to watch their club's streaming.

However, I seriously doubt the TVL people will be hammering down those people's doors at 3pm on a Saturday. 

13 hours ago, Flash said:

Shocked. Was always of the understanding that if you didn't watch BBC but watched other TV you didn't need a license as it's the BBC's license and the money goes to them (although proving that when you have the facilities to watch BBC would be difficult).

So the BBC coin it in even if you don't have anything to do with them?

Always knew it was a racket but even worse than I thought.

Get that shit in the sea.

Just now, Jamie_M said:

Shocked. Was always of the understanding that if you didn't watch BBC but watched other TV you didn't need a license as it's the BBC's license and the money goes to them (although proving that when you have the facilities to watch BBC would be difficult).

So the BBC coin it in even if you don't have anything to do with them?

Always knew it was a racket but even worse than I thought.

Get that shit in the sea.

I'm genuinely surprised that there's now two people on this thread who are only just learning that you need a TV licence to watch all "live" TV, not just the BBC.

20 minutes ago, The Master said:

I'm genuinely surprised that there's now two people on this thread who are only just learning that you need a TV licence to watch all "live" TV, not just the BBC.

For someone who hasn't looked into it, is it really a stretch to think they might believe that a fee that goes to one corporation for their service, will only be applicable if you use said service?

4 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

For someone who hasn't looked into it, is it really a stretch to think they might believe that a fee that goes to one corporation for their service, will only be applicable if you use said service?

Yes, to be honest.

I was under the impression that the rules around TV licences were pretty much common knowledge. The clue is surely in the name?

13 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

This. Its so low on my list of priorities Ive never even thought about it. Ive bought a TV license by DD for years and never think about.

6 minutes ago, The Master said:

Yes, to be honest.

I was under the impression that the rules around TV licences were pretty much common knowledge. The clue is surely in the name?

So, do I need a TV license to watch DVDs on my TV? My TV is sitting off in the corner. Do I need a TV license for that?

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

This. Its so low on my list of priorities Ive never even thought about it. Ive bought a TV license by DD for years and never think about.

So, do I need a TV license to watch DVDs on my TV? My TV is sitting off in the corner. Do I need a TV license for that?

No, you don't.

I'm in the small category of not watching any TV online or otherwise, but plan on watching these streams.