Geopolitics in the 2020s.

dorlomin

5 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

When I first met him he was linked to Militant - then was recruited to Labour Students by the then NUS Scotland President Donna McKinnon. I actually stood against him in the Scottish Labour Students selection - we were both selected - polar opposites in terms of our views on Scottish Democracy.

As soon as he was elected to be NUS Scotland President, his politics suddenly changed - Blairite and influenced by the UJS and, later, Labour Friends of Israel.

A political opportunist of the worst kind and someone who pays lip service to democratic procedures.

The only thing about his politics that didn't changed was Scottish Democracy - he'd happily abolish the Scottish Parliament if he could get away with it.

He's just another ex trot that ended up an establishment stooge then. 

18 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

He's just another ex trot that ended up an establishment stooge then. 

That just about sums him up.

My own politics haven't changed that much - was a federalist but Brexit, and Labour's lip service to federalism in England put pay to that.

When I joined the Labour Party I would have considered myself to be soft left - when I left in 1994 the Labour Party had shifted right - a lot of those student politicians I knew ended up being careerist hacks - nodding dogs for the Labour leadership.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

9 minutes ago, virginton said:

http://theguardian.com/global-development/article/2024/jul/25/venezuelan-exiles-election-maduro

If you choose to leave a country then you choose to not have a say in how that country is governed. 

I was amazed to find out that my sister who emigrated to New Zealand about 25 years ago got a vote in the GE. The rule changed this year, if you were ever on the UK electoral register you get a vote for life, it used to be 15 years.

23 hours ago, Freedom Farter said:

Talking of Venezuela, Washington Post published this today. 

Twitter alternative: https://nitter.poast.org/JStein_WaPo/status/1816445527690445301#m

Article (formatting is wonky): https://archive.ph/pJvgF

Follow up specifically on Venezuela. A large contributing factor to why so many Venezuelans are now outside Venezuela, as VKTon commented on above.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2024/07/26/venezuela-crisis-immigration-us-sanctions-trump/

Venezuelan elections use voter ID, single day voting, paper ballots and offline voting machines - all things Trump demands for the US so they err, don't turn into Venezuela apparently.

A lot of people getting mad at this election result. Mostly those who would like to own Venezuela's natural resources.

4 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Assad backed Syrian tribal forces in skirmishes with US proxies in Northern Syria.

All that American money and they’re getting skelped by a bunch of lads with no shoes. 

1 hour ago, Cheese said:

Assad backed Syrian tribal forces in skirmishes with US proxies in Northern Syria.

Not going to even pretend I know the first thing about this, I take it Assad basicly "won" the civil war and Syria is back under his rule?

5 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

Not going to even pretend I know the first thing about this, I take it Assad basicly "won" the civil war and Syria is back under his rule?

He 'won' in that he wasn't overthrown, but most of the populated parts of Syria never left his government's control. The US and its various rebel/freedom fighter/terrorist proxies took control of the oil-producing parts in the East, to protect it from ISIS of course.