Geopolitics in the 2020s.

dorlomin

17 hours ago, jagfox said:

Aliyev wearing military fatigues there to project his image as that of a war leader. USA have made public their belief that Aliyev invading Armenia soon is possible: https://www.politico.com/news/2023/10/13/blinken-warned-lawmakers-azerbaijan-may-invade-armenia-in-coming-weeks-00121500. Important to note the concern is only over a possible invasion and not a likely invasion. Aliyev has taught his people that Armenia is actually "Western Azerbaijan" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Azerbaijan_(irredentist_concept) There's a recent trend of fossil fuel-dependent dictatorships mass murdering the people in a neighbouring nation. Saudi with Yemen and Russia with Ukraine. Azerbaijan with Armenia fits that dynamic. All considered, though, the chances of an invasion by Azerbaijan probably remain very slim.

What's striking from that version of the events is the degree to which the Trump administration's moves continue to shape the US' position in geopolitics. While the China pivot might be understood as being retained for its Cold War 2 effect, the inability of the Biden administration to get out of the wheel tracks of its predecessor is damning.

America's own mumbleclown really cannot be seriously contesting a second term. 

14 hours ago, Anonapersona said:

My prediction is that old man Trump will beat older man Biden in the election.

A short time into the presidency and Trump will start planting the seed that the two term limit is unjust.

You think America is mental enough to elect a recently convicted criminal? 

Or do you reckon Trump will be acquitted in all 91 criminal counts against him? 

10 hours ago, bigmarv said:

You think America is mental enough to elect a recently convicted criminal? 

Or do you reckon Trump will be acquitted in all 91 criminal counts against him? 

All Trump has to do is wave a bible around a few times. His supporters are a cult.

I don't think he'll serve jail time, regardless of the verdicts. But even if he does, he can apparently still be president from prison.

I blame the two-party system.

41 minutes ago, Anonapersona said:

All Trump has to do is wave a bible around a few times. His supporters are a cult.

I don't think he'll serve jail time, regardless of the verdicts. But even if he does, he can apparently still be president from prison.

I blame the two-party system.

Yet another weird thing I get (or got in 2020) from my local (Texas) republican types when we get into the issues :) 

Me: "So (despite the whole church/state thing) having a good Christian POTUS is important to you then?" 

Neighbor: "yesir" 

Me: "Which of the two 2020 candidates for POTUS do you believe has been to church in the last 50yrs (or prays) more often, Biden or Trump?" 

Neighbor: "..............................." 

Strange bunch :) 

16 minutes ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

Swiss election results, gains for the right ? I think.

@Ross. who did you vote for ? 

You need to hold a Swiss Passport before they will let you vote. I should probably start looking at getting one now, as it happens.

The missus voted SP and Green.

SVP are very much the Conservatives of Swiss politics, albeit they are considered a bit of a joke by many. Been the biggest party in the country for decades but rarely able to implement meaningful change. The setup here very much leans towards that being the case mind you.

Javier Milei lost yesterday to the Peronist candidate but there's still a final run-off between them to come. He said this in his defeat speech:

"All countries that embrace the ideas of liberalism progress while those who follow populist ideas unite in misery".

Quite funny, trying to present himself as the sensible choice.

Bill submitted to the Turkish Parliament yesterday to approve Sweden joining NATO.

This comes in a month which had seen a Turkish drone shot down by the US in Syria, as mentioned a few pages back. Erdoğan never being one to miss an opportunity for persecuting minority groups, Turkey started the month launching attacks on Kurdish areas in northern Syria. Pretty much every attack was deliberately targeted at civilian infrastructure, taking out power and water supplies which has put hospitals out of use, and they also directly targeted schools.

The pretext for this was an attempted PKK suicide bombing on the police headquarters in Ankara at the start of the month, with Turkey alleging they had travelled from Syria. They'd also bombed Kurdish areas of Iraq in response.

Not that these issues are directly related, but interesting timing in light of Erdoğan's main objection to Sweden being that they're too soft on their Kurdish population.

5 hours ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

I'm in France the now and watching a couple of snippets of current affairs stuff when we're in the hotel, it seems even more deranged than back home. People on panels of journalists and when you look up their publication it's genuine "le pedophilé raciste" stuff 

On 31/10/2023 at 17:21, GHF-23 said:

I'm in France the now and watching a couple of snippets of current affairs stuff when we're in the hotel, it seems even more deranged than back home. People on panels of journalists and when you look up their publication it's genuine "le pedophilé raciste" stuff 

IMG_1720.jpeg.78ff21104683552db87e83d0f4dacec7.jpeg