The Office Uk

TheScarf

Does anybody think it supposed to be implied in Series 2 that there is something going on between Neil and Rachel? I heard someone say once that they thought there might be something between them. I'd never really taken notice of it, but more recent rewatches have made me think that there might be something in it. 

Edited by DrewDon

Not sure myself.  I mean she seemed like she was up for a laugh (getting Tim to hide the dildo in Brent's office, getting Gareth to call Brent and say stuff about his beard etc) so I reckon he put the comic relief dance out there and she was like yeah I'll do it with you.  She also seemed pretty upset when Tim dumped her, after her wanting him to go away with her for the weekend.

Neil seemed pretty level headed and I don't think he would indulge in anything extra marital.

It was always implied that the Swindon lot knew Neil really well and probably classed him as a friend as well as a colleague. It’s part of the reason Brent resents him so much; the Swindon ones take a genuine interest in Neil, looking at his holiday photos etc, having a laugh and a dance probably wasn’t uncommon before the merger.

33 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Would genuinely give anything for a night down Chasers with Brent, Finchy, Gareth and the lads. 

Slough's nightlife is incredible; it's got two nightclubs, it's got Chasers and New York, New York. They call it the nightclub that never sleeps. That closes at one

Well you can’t just put ‘something for the old people’, Gareth. What? A packet of Werthers Originals? A phone call from your son?

I've often wondered about The Brentmeister's career path, obviously at some point he was a reliable, hard working employee otherwise he wouldn't have made it to the position of manager and appeared on the cover of Inside Paper. 

What caused his downfall? I get the feeling it started long before the camera's arrived to make the documentary. 

Personality i see him as being a bit of a harmless arse kisser who just wanted to be liked and climbed the corporate ladder but there must've been someone or something that led him to believe his own hype, of course it could be the case that he was always a bit full of himself and he became oblivious to it all and the appearance of a documentary team pushed him over the edge. 

Edited by stevieKTID

I've often wondered about The Brentmeister's career path, obviously at some point he was a reliable, hard working employee otherwise he wouldn't have made it to the position of manager and appeared on the cover of Inside Paper. 
What caused his downfall? I get the feeling it started long before the camera's arrived to make the documentary. 
Personality i see him as being a bit of a harmless arse kisser who just wanted to be liked and climbed the corporate ladder but there must've been someone or something that led him to believe his own hype, of course it could be the case that he was always a bit full of himself and he became obvious to it all and the appearance of a documentary team pushed him over the edge. 

Probably when he became a manager. Assuming he knew people like Finchy before being in the position he’s in, a good word was probably put in when his predecessor’s position became available.

The camera presence definitely inflated his ego and delusions, though. The way he talks about the newspaper coming in to interview him and being asked to give motivational speeches is how you can imagine him going about when the documentary was about to start.

He does win the vote against Neil to take over from Jennifer at the end of Series 1, so that could suggest that he is reasonably highly regarded amongst the board members. Either that, or he has just been there much longer than Neil so they have decided to offer him the job almost by default. 

Neil does say to David in Series 2 about Swindon's perception that he and the Slough branch were "having a laugh", which makes me wonder if that view was shared across the company - if so, getting David out of the way, sort of floating in and out harmlessly in Jennifer's old job, would have allowed Neil to handle the merger more intimately on a day-to-day basis at Swindon. It would also, presumably, have got Neil in front of the cameras more in Series 2. 

I said earlier in the thread that I think Jennifer's body language around David changes quite significantly even over the course of Series 1, which would suggest that he might have been a quite different person - and boss - before the camera crew arrived, which could explain how he ends up in management at Wernham Hogg in the first instance. Then again, even in the early episodes of Series 1, the likes of Tim, Gareth and Dawn never seem particularly surprised by David's behaviour, so maybe he has always been a bit like that, but was essentially playing an exaggerated version of himself for the cameras.