Summer Transfers of '20

6 hours ago, Grant228 said:

I'd really rather that didn't come to pass. 

With Kerr being an ex teammate I was hoping they'd take the hit. 

I've not been McHugh's biggest fan but he's at least improved his all-round game significantly since joining us, not least by being no longer such a passenger when the team doesn't have the ball. If a team can provide him with enough good service inside the box then he would score double figures every season at this level, which is why he had his best campaign for us this season with Cadden doing so. He doesn't have any outstanding attribute to create chances for himself though so it's hard to see him playing for an out and out title contender.

I thought he would have been going part time and would end up doing a very good job for Alloa but the staying full time hint reduces the plausible options. It also means that we will need to go into this market for another forward which is a setback for us. 

McHugh would be a pretty meh signing albeit he did quite well last season.

If he rocks up at Somerset, which I don’t think he will because I can’t see us signing any new players yet, then it’ll be because Kerr knows him well and is a pretty safe signing for this league. We’d still need another striker to come in with him anyway.

5 hours ago, virginton said:

I've not been McHugh's biggest fan but he's at least improved his all-round game significantly since joining us, not least by being no longer such a passenger when the team doesn't have the ball. If a team can provide him with enough good service inside the box then he would score double figures every season at this level, which is why he had his best campaign for us this season with Cadden doing so. He doesn't have any outstanding attribute to create chances for himself though so it's hard to see him playing for an out and out title contender.

I thought he would have been going part time and would end up doing a very good job for Alloa but the staying full time hint reduces the plausible options. It also means that we will need to go into this market for another forward which is a setback for us. 

It's a weird one that he's leaving Morton, at best I had his level down as a midlevel, potentially playoff challenging side, it's also at Morton where he's probably been at his best, he had a not bad record at Falkirk but he was considered a super sub rather than an out and out starter, when you combine that with the current job market it is quite strange he's moving on. 

I'm sure it'll become apparent eventually. 

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

It's a weird one that he's leaving Morton, at best I had his level down as a midlevel, potentially playoff challenging side, it's also at Morton where he's probably been at his best, he had a not bad record at Falkirk but he was considered a super sub rather than an out and out starter, when you combine that with the current job market it is quite strange he's moving on. 

I'm sure it'll become apparent eventually. 

He did ok in a loan spell with us while still a Motherwell player. He was still a sub more often than not behind Lyle and Reilly but came into his own in the playoffs with Reilly out injured. Scored three times in the two legged tie against Falkirk. Wouldnt have been too averse to us moving for him again the next year but he isnt the right partner for Dobbie. He's a decent enough Championship player but probably not one of the top strikers at this level.

Guest Flash
7 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He did ok in a loan spell with us while still a Motherwell player. He was still a sub more often than not behind Lyle and Reilly but came into his own in the playoffs with Reilly out injured. Scored three times in the two legged tie against Falkirk. Wouldnt have been too averse to us moving for him again the next year but he isnt the right partner for Dobbie. He's a decent enough Championship player but probably not one of the top strikers at this level.

Was the next year not 14/15? Dobbie didn’t sign until summer 2016.

32 minutes ago, Flash said:

Was the next year not 14/15? Dobbie didn’t sign until summer 2016.

I know that. That's the point. I wouldn't have been too averse to signing him again immediately following but I wouldn't be signing him now as I don't think he'd be the right partner for Dobbie and Dobbie is here already. He's a less mobile and less strong version of Gary Oliver, but he is probably a better finisher. McHugh is, mostly, a penalty bos striker. Dobbie works best with a big partner to win balls in the air and clear defenders to give him space, or failing that a willing runner to run into the channels (in Dykes he had both in the one player). McHugh is neither of those things.

Guest Flash
20 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I know that. That's the point. I wouldn't have been too averse to signing him again immediately following but I wouldn't be signing him now as I don't think he'd be the right partner for Dobbie and Dobbie is here already. He's a less mobile and less strong version of Gary Oliver, but he is probably a better finisher. McHugh is, mostly, a penalty bos striker. Dobbie works best with a big partner to win balls in the air and clear defenders to give him space, or failing that a willing runner to run into the channels (in Dykes he had both in the one player). McHugh is neither of those things.

Fair enough. I misunderstood your point, thought you were saying we possibly would have signed him but he wouldn’t have been right for Dobbie.

11 minutes ago, Spikethedee said:

Didn’t realise that caley had signed Sutherland. Could be a decent signing (depending on which league they are playing in, of course...😝)

I’m sceptical. He’s 30 this year and has been playing at tier 4 for the next part of a decade. I think there is better, younger and cheaper options we could’ve gone for.

10 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

FTFY

They're planning to Gretna that division next season then.

Wonder if Tidser has a 'stuck in the Lowland League' clause in his contract and whether they go back in for him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/06/2020 at 13:33, RandomGuy. said:

Steven MacLean has now retired FWIW.

Despite his age, he's probably better than your other strikers. You'd have thought he'd give it one last season.

In other news, Hearts sign Gordon and Dunfermline sign Paul Watson. There thread seems to be indicating there could be another signing today as well.