Cancel culture

6 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

And Jerry Sadowitz is responsible for all of Frankie Boyle's act.

The only bit of Father Ted that Graham Linehan wrote was the one where the priests were trapped in the ladies underwear section of a department store.

24 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

TBF, Netflix’s share price is plummeting like a lemming convention currently. 

I can see that being a popular conservative deflection tool for why people have been cancelling their Netflix subscriptions for the past couple of months.

"It's not that they can't afford it, it's wokeness!"

24 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

The only thing this episode has taught me is that this new Gervais thing sounds really, really boring.

TBF I did have a chuckle at the mental image of some wee guy off Pie and Bovril shouting at LeBron about ‘woke’. I’d imagine the reaction would be something like 

AF6EDCB9-D3A0-4504-BC0C-E2744625BBE9.jpeg

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

And Jerry Sadowitz is responsible for all of Frankie Boyle's act.

Boyle can't do the magic tricks though...

Sadowitz must be one of the best magicians in the world. I've seen him a few times and I'm always wondering "how the f**k did he do That?" 

I’ve not enjoyed any stand up for quite a while now. 

Doesn’t matter what ‘side’ they’re on, but they all seem to play to a particular gallery now with every routine. Whether it’s gervais getting his likes from right leaning people or someone doing something similar for the left, it’s just boring. When did it all get so partisan? 

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Doesn’t matter what ‘side’ they’re on, but they all seem to play to a particular gallery now with every routine. Whether it’s gervais getting his likes from right leaning people or someone doing something similar for the left, it’s just boring. When did it all get so partisan? 

I can only go by stand-up from the Eighties on, but I don't think that's true at all. From the Jim Davidson or Bernard Manning-style right wingers through to alternative comics like Ben Elton, in my lifetime most comedians have played to an audience that either hold similar views, or that they know how to appeal to in order to make a living.

Nothing seems to have changed. Yer Da didn't like the modern comics with their political agendas, and now we don't because we are Yer Da. That modern music is garbage too, I'm sure you'll have noticed.

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

I can only go by stand-up from the Eighties on, but I don't think that's true at all. From the Jim Davidson or Bernard Manning-style right wingers through to alternative comics like Ben Elton, in my lifetime most comedians have played to an audience that either hold similar views, or that they know how to appeal to in order to make a living.

Nothing seems to have changed. Yer Da didn't like the modern comics with their political agendas, and now we don't because we are Yer Da. That modern music is garbage too, I'm sure you'll have noticed.

Modern fitba is also pish!

11 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

@topcat(The most tip top) has the answer

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I’m certainly open to the suggestion it’s me that’s changed. It’s probably more likely, I just can’t enjoy it these days 

Just now, SuperSaints1877 said:

Modern fitba is also pish!

So true.

The youngsters today could never cope with tiny Eighties shorts on a winter evening, and having to smoke high tar cigarettes at the interval (as I understand was the fashion at the time).

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

I’m certainly open to the suggestion it’s me that’s changed. It’s probably more likely, I just can’t enjoy it these days 

I don't know if we change, so much as we just get jaded.

Remember how exciting films, music, and all that stuff was when we were teenagers? Eventually you run out of things that seem fundamentally different to everything that we've experienced before.

Same goes for sex, obviously. John Holmes couldn't even get it up by the time he died (although that might have been the drugs, which he also got bored of).

32 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Panel shows destroyed stand up comedy in Britain.

Edited to add - I see @Miguel Sanchez has made this point above.

Edited by ICTChris

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Panel shows destroyed stand up comedy in Britain.

The weird thing about panel shows is how much funnier people like Lee Mack are on something like Would I Lie To You than they are on-stage, or a self-scripted sitcom. You'd think time and extra writers would improve things, but apparently not.

I watched the Jimmy Carr show after the recent hullabaloo about his gypsies in the holocaust joke, thinking he might be quite funny from his 8 out of 9 cats banter. It was really dull, like Roy Chubby Brown's material but without the enthusiasm, loads of lame blow job jokes etc. You could see why he threw in the holocaust joke, he wouldn't have got any publicity for it without it. Gervais was doubtless thinking the same.

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

So you're happy to criticise things you haven't bothered to read.

Your choice I suppose.

I read the quote, groaned at it, saw Debbie Hayton as being the author of the piece and then explained why I'm not sure she'd be holding Gervais to much account. Didn't criticise the piece at all. Can't criticise it if I haven't read it. 

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I watched the Jimmy Carr show after the recent hullabaloo about his gypsies in the holocaust joke, thinking he might be quite funny from his 8 out of 9 cats banter. It was really dull, like Roy Chubby Brown's material but without the enthusiasm, loads of lame blow job jokes etc. You could see why he threw in the holocaust joke, he wouldn't have got any publicity for it without it. Gervais was doubtless thinking the same.

Carr's routine has always been a relentless barrage of one-liners, like his hero Bob Monkhouse. Not really my idea of a good time either, but it seems to work for him.

I'd suggest that the main difference between the two is that Carr seems like a man who's experienced a bit of self-loathing in his time, while Ricky Gervais is one of the rare comics who absolutely loves himself, and it shows.

Edit: Oaksoft still fuming that nobody on a football forum is willing to debate him in the marketplace of ideas  :lol:

Edited by BFTD

Imagine being familiar with somebody's work, realising they make bad faith arguments, and deciding not to engage with them on anything more than a superficial level as a result.

You can see why the man's upset.