WoSFL Premier Division thread

I hope Talbot win it this year. A good few people thought Tucker’s time was up but he’s just quietly went about his business and we’re back to talking about them as title challengers. 

You’ll never get any bold claims or boasts from him either. If anyone deserves to take the first Ayrshire ‘junior’ side up the first rung of the spfl ladder it’s him. 

2 hours ago, rhubarb1974 said:

Is there pressure on the boss to deliver? I would imagine it could be costly to remove him giving that he has a new contract. 

What are the criteria the club set out for the manager/team? I would thought that promotion was top of the list, if they fail to better 4th spot then they are no further forward a year down the line. 

Bigger clubs such as Pollok have ended up in a bad way trying to push things forward and recruiting the wrong type of players/characters. We have no where near the support of the like of Pollok/Talbot even Bankies to a lesser extent so we are more reliant on funders to compete at that level. 

How many goes do the board give the team at promotion? I theory play offs should be easier, the better East of Scotland sides will be in the LL, the SoS offer very little in way of competition. The difficult part is winning the league. One thing I like about Clydebank is their stats online, A win percentage of just over 50% I don't think is good enough as manager. 

It has been proven time and time again throwing money at a team isn't a sure way to guarantee success. I would say we have been one of the higher spenders in recent years, all we have to show for it is 1 league title which we won the year after covid as we were throwing money around and other clubs were keeping things tight. I wouldn't like to guess how much has been spent under the JG reign, I don't think the true cost will ever be known however in terms of return on investment I think it has been poor. 

On the other hand Talbot are meant to be significantly cash rich however are never massive spenders, Beith are another team that never seem to be throwing stupid money around however have a manager that is well versed with the league at this level. Are these two clubs just better run? You can't put Talbots formula for success down to luck certainly not after 20 years of Tommy Sloan in charge.

There is no doubt we have wasted money however one thing I would say in our defense we have a far improved ground than what we had 6/7 years ago, other clubs like St Cadocs that seem to be big spenders still don't have a ground of their own yet. 

Christ.

My eyes.

6 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

This statement has always been, is currently and will always be, true.

I assume for the sake of consistency you'll also be accusing the smaller former SJFA members who opt not take part of arrogance as well?

2 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

I assume for the sake of consistency you'll also be accusing the smaller former SJFA members who opt not take part of arrogance as well?

No, because I base my opinion on what I read here from Bankies fans. The latest of these is three posts above. The Juniors was/is beneath them so despite the majority of their top league rivals being in the competition, they'd rather spend their time grizzeling about having no game on a Saturday when the cup ties are being played. It's entitlement, plain and simple.

Edited by jimbaxters

1 minute ago, jimbaxters said:

No, because I base my opinion on what I read here from Bankies fans. The latest of these is three posts above. The Juniors was/is beneath them so they despite the majority of their top league rivals being in the competition, they'd rather spend their time grizzeling about having no game on a Saturday when the cup ties are being played. It's entitlement, plain and simple.

Wouldn't entitlement be thinking they'd have a cup game? Seen it said a few times over the season. Didn't know everyone was guaranteed a game.

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Wouldn't entitlement be thinking they'd have a cup game? Seen it said a few times over the season. Didn't know everyone was guaranteed a game.

Not sure what you mean pal?

14 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

No, because I base my opinion on what I read here from Bankies fans. The latest of these is three posts above. The Juniors was/is beneath them so they despite the majority of their top league rivals being in the competition, they'd rather spend their time grizzeling about having no game on a Saturday when the cup ties are being played. It's entitlement, plain and simple.

Its not beneath us, we just dont want to play in it. See the same way some people on here go ‘oh id hate to see my team promoted into the Lowland League’ well our fans have the right to not want our club to play in a voluntary cup which may actually cost us money to take part in. We are constantly reminded on here that we arent in the club with all the other ‘traditional’ teams yet we are sneered at when we go ‘ok we wont be in your club then, thanks’. We had some good times in the juniors and some very bad times, I for one am glad we had the time there we did and wish anyone who wants to remain a member of the sjfa all the very best. I really hope the teams who compete have a great time doing so and fill the final with fans. 

3 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Its not beneath us, we just dont want to play in it. See the same way some people on here go ‘oh id hate to see my team promoted into the Lowland League’ well our fans have the right to not want our club to play in a voluntary cup which may actually cost us money to take part in. We are constantly reminded on here that we arent in the club with all the other ‘traditional’ teams yet we are sneered at when we go ‘ok we wont be in your club then, thanks’. We had some good times in the juniors and some very bad times, I for one am glad we had the time there we did and wish anyone who wants to remain a member of the sjfa all the very best. I really hope the teams who compete have a great time doing so and fill the final with fans. 

There's also the potential, and more likely outcome that the club make money out of it. Ask your neighbours, Yoker.

Of course you have the right not to take part but don't kid on it's for any other reason than the fact the word Junior is in the competition name. 

10 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

If the South Challenge Cup becomes voluntary, which there is talks of it being voted on. I am assuming you wouldn't want your team to compete in this? It would be another voluntary cup, prize pot is tiny in comparison to the Scottish Junior Cup, more expenses incurred and also with exception of Talbot no other West team has won it? 

adopting your arguement against the Scottish, if this becomes voluntary you won't want to compete, less more, more chance of losing money?

I would say Gartcairn and St Cadocs are two ambitions teams and are well backed, they were delighted to be the the Scottish Junior Cup, that doesn't take away from their desire to move up the divisions however at the same time give them exposure as a club to playing in big games should they get to semis/finals.  

2 minutes ago, rhubarb1974 said:

If the South Challenge Cup becomes voluntary, which there is talks of it being voted on.........

Have you just made that up ?

3 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Have you just made that up ?

No, there was talk of Gartcairn proposing it, going by a former player of ours. I personally don't see an issue with them proposing it and making it voluntary, it is my least favourite cup. I know from talking to other clubs fans they feel the same way.

8 minutes ago, rhubarb1974 said:

No, there was talk of Gartcairn proposing it, going by a former player of ours. I personally don't see an issue with them proposing it and making it voluntary, it is my least favourite cup. I know from talking to other clubs fans they feel the same way.

You need to remember that the South Challenge Cup is not run by the WoSFL.

17 minutes ago, glensmad said:

You need to remember that the South Challenge Cup is not run by the WoSFL.

Yes and surely if a proposal from a member team is brought to the AGM member clubs then vote on it? So if Gartcairn are or have brought an amendment within the time parameters then surely this gets voted on at the WoS AGM?

It doesn't matter who runs it. The committee is the WoS is there to act on behalf of the member clubs. 

Just now, rhubarb1974 said:

Yes and surely if a proposal from a member team is brought to the AGM member clubs then vote on it? So if Gartcairn are or have brought an amendment within the time parameters then surely this gets voted on at the WoS AGM?

It doesn't matter who runs it. The committee is the WoS is there to act on behalf of the member clubs. 

WOSFL vote to make it voluntary.

The 3 corresponding leagues say its mandatory.

What happens then?

3 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

What happens then?

Discussions would need to take place between the four leagues and the Scottish FA.

All purely speculation, as I am not personally aware of any such proposal.

Clydebank are not SJFA members and not likely to become one. 

Are more the happy to by part of the pyramid and compete in South of Scotland Challenge Cup. Only chance outside THE Scottish Cup to play against Lowland , EOS and SOS league sides.

Gartcairn and St Cadocs are not licensed so they won't be going up the leagues until they are even if they win the league.

If the SJFA are taking 60% of all the semi final gates are they not giving out prize money extracted from what may be these teams biggest crowds of the season ?

44 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

What happens then?

Where is this 'mandatory' rule?

I don't believe there is an agreed constitution between the four leagues.

On 05/03/2024 at 13:20, rhubarb1974 said:

Kelty have lost their backer, so interesting to see how long they maintain their level for. 

Clydebank have a belief they are a superior club to what they are, bear in mind they have won nothing. 

The restructuring has been a failure this far. That may change in years to come however to date it has been a mess, 

utter bollocks

The failure has been in teams from the west to get licences or win play off games . Add to that egomaniacs such as that clown from Darvel throwing money about to achieve the a cup win over Aberdeen and get him and the chicken man time on TV.

The clubs in the east have progressed without the need to throw stupid money at it, crowds are up, interest is up.

Maybe once some on the west lose their Junior mentality and west cost superiority complex they will see the benefit of the whole pyramid.