OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

I think we have the best board of my lifetime. I just wish we had appointed a decent experienced head coach because Rangers look quite poor this season and if we had done better in the league we would be above them now. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/10/2023 at 18:58, VincentGuerin said:

Tough run up to the winter break from here. Anyone convinced Naismith makes it as far as Aberdeen at home on January 27th?

I'd be amazed if he did.

Pre-international break sackings are pretty common and this one also roughly coincides with the end of the first round of fixtures.

Gone after we get gubbed 4-0 on Sunday imo.

Edited by DC92

On 29/10/2023 at 17:58, VincentGuerin said:

Tough run up to the winter break from here. Anyone convinced Naismith makes it as far as Aberdeen at home on January 27th?

I'd be amazed if he did.

Next 4 league games are not easy, but not as hard as it has been or is after that run. He needs a good run in that period or he's gone IMO.

Or if we don't win tomorrow and are knocked out on Sunday.

There's your "the players are fed up with Naismith and think his coaching is shite" rumours up and running today. Texts being forwarded left, right, and centre.

The source (as explained to me) seems reasonably reliable, but we're at the point that it scarcely matters if they're true. People believe they're true because of what they see with their eyes.

A rudderless team, less than the sum of its parts, gameplan often unclear.

Naismith's done. The board have had all the backing they could have asked for from the fans in terms of time, money, and effort. It's time to do their fucking jobs and stop squandering the club's resources.

Get a fucking coach.

Edited by VincentGuerin

57 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

It would help if we could bring through some players. It lifts the mood when good young players break into the first team.

It's weird how reluctant we've become in this regard.

In the 90s we chucked young players in all the time. We were known for it, if anything, and lots of them turned out well. Then Levein's first spell at the club was noteable for the willingness he had to give young players a chance. Lads like McMullen, Janczyk, Weir, Gordon, Sloan, Hamil, Neilson etc etc all got a run in the team. Some of them made it, some of them didn't. But they got a shot. That continued with the likes of Berra, Wallace, Driver, Thomson and Thomson, the McGowans, then obviously the admin bunch. We had young players and we gave them a shot.

For years now, we seem to have had a policy of just not putting our youngsters in. I get that we have injuries, but we'd have been as well playing me at right wing back as Sibbick yesterday. He had an absolute fucking mare. Couldn't do a thing right. Is there really not a youngster at the club we've identified who can play there? Why have we got McGovern as our back-up keeper in a cup semi? Where are our young players? Can they really all be utterly shite? How many questions in a row can I type?

We need a clear out. We're in a great position in terms of funding. In every other way the club is run shambolically.

A coach who shouldn't be there. A board that hasn't got the faintest fucking clue what it's up to. A recruitment department that leaves much to be desired. A youth system that doesn't produce players. A hotel with no view of the pitch or any kind of selling point whatsoever.

But it's important to remember that we nearly went out of business a decade ago, so you can't moan about it.

Edited by VincentGuerin

On 06/11/2023 at 18:51, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

It would help if we could bring through some players. It lifts the mood when good young players break into the first team.

Yes. Fewer travelling huddies and more youngsters who know and support Hearts and who've been trained with some kind of philosophy in mind.

It's just pot luck just now and has been for years.

12 hours ago, Crùbag said:

Yes. Fewer travelling huddies and more youngsters who know and support Hearts and who've been trained with some kind of philosophy in mind.

It's just pot luck just now and has been for years.

Apparently Naismith reckons our youngsters don't learn enough about game management.

If only, as coach of the team, there was something he could do about that.

It's a real shame.

Kye Rowles in the Australian squad for WC2026 qualifiers v Bangladesh in Melbourne Nov 16 and Palestine in Kuwait Nov 21.

Calem Nieuwenhof is in the U23 squad for friendlies in Saudi Arabia v Qatar Nov 17 and Saudi Arabia Nov 21.

Edited by Eednud

On 29/10/2023 at 17:58, VincentGuerin said:

I'd be amazed if he did.

On 06/11/2023 at 18:51, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

On 06/11/2023 at 19:46, VincentGuerin said:

It's weird how reluctant we've become in this regard.

It's almost as if managers are constantly under short term pressure and scared to take risks in pursuit of longer term benefit

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It's almost as if managers are constantly under short term pressure and scared to take risks in pursuit of longer term benefit

I think our current coach is under more short-term pressure as he has nothing to fall back on. He lacks the qualifications and experience for the role, and is underperforming in it. If my employer over-promoted me and I was seen to be floundering, I'd expect to be let go or shoved back to my old role pretty sharpish. Certainly before I was allowed to scupper the company's medium-term plans.

From a supporter's point of view, there is absolutely no evidence that he can improve things from here. Be it in terms of what we see on the pitch or from his public statements. He's started with no credit in the bank and has done little to build any.

The issue of bringing through our young players should be more than dependent on who the coach is. It should be an ingrained part of the club.

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

I think our current coach is under more short-term pressure as he has nothing to fall back on. He lacks the qualifications and experience for the role, and is underperforming in it. If my employer over-promoted me and I was seen to be floundering, I'd expect to be let go or shoved back to my old role pretty sharpish. Certainly before I was allowed to scupper the company's medium-term plans.

From a supporter's point of view, there is absolutely no evidence that he can improve things from here. Be it in terms of what we see on the pitch or from his public statements. He's started with no credit in the bank and has done little to build any.

The issue of bringing through our young players should be more than dependent on who the coach is. It should be an ingrained part of the club.

Obviously the current incumbent's jacket is on an even shooglier peg that normal and is an extreme case

But the more general point still stands

Even experienced coaches with reasonable goodwill in the bank will still find themselves under some short-termist pressure.