OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

6 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The German and Italian bits don't seem particularly unlikely. It's Dortmund to win the champions league final that makes this a long odds accumulator

I think Atalanta beating Leverkusen is just, if not more, unlikely tbh.

1 hour ago, Tony Wonder said:

Youd play the same amount of home games. 8 in the EL, 6 in the Conference league group stage, plus the 2 PO games beforehand.

You'd also get 2 games against teams in our pot so while we'd take some doings we'd have a chance of some wins as well and it's more prize money.

However, that permutation is pretty unlikely to happen.

If we qualify for the Europa League via the playoff we'll play 10 games in total. If we qualify automatically we'll play 8. That's the extra home game I'm talking about.

The financial dividend of EL v ECL is therefore reduced in the scenario where we qualify automatically rather than via the playoff. There's a decent chance we'd make as much money via the ECL while actually watching some competitive games. So I'd probably rather not see this scenario come to pass.

51 minutes ago, DC92 said:

If we qualify for the Europa League via the playoff we'll play 10 games in total. If we qualify automatically we'll play 8. That's the extra home game I'm talking about.

The financial dividend of EL v ECL is therefore reduced in the scenario where we qualify automatically rather than via the playoff. There's a decent chance we'd make as much money via the ECL while actually watching some competitive games. So I'd probably rather not see this scenario come to pass.

Ah I see what you mean.

I think though, given we'll not be seeded, the chances of winning the PO are slim anyway, so would more than likely be the same amount with the ECL. And yeah, on paper it should be more competitive, but as it's projected now you could end up with a group including Napoli, Betis and Hoffenheim in the Conference so there's a high chance of a few scuddings in there too. I'd be keen to go into the EL, guarantee of more cash and hope for a kind draw.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tony Wonder said:

I think Atalanta beating Leverkusen is just, if not more, unlikely tbh.

Latest Odds are 5/2 Dortmund and 2/1  which means that you can get 19/2 on the accumulator for those two parts alone. 

We're more likely to get to the EL league stage  by upsetting the seeding in a playoff than get there automatically by this route but weird things do happen

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

Slow week at work this week. I've been cruising back through various Scottish football podcast 23/24 prediction podcasts.

Amazing to listen to all the "THEY DON'T KNOW WHO'S IN CHARGE" stuff and hearing our enemies' glee at our supposed impending misery.

Never mind, lads. 😎

17 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Slow week at work this week. I've been cruising back through various Scottish football podcast 23/24 prediction podcasts.

Amazing to listen to all the "THEY DON'T KNOW WHO'S IN CHARGE" stuff and hearing our enemies' glee at our supposed impending misery.

Never mind, lads. 😎

We don’t have enemies 

Just “potential friends”

4 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

Ah I see what you mean.

I think though, given we'll not be seeded, the chances of winning the PO are slim anyway, so would more than likely be the same amount with the ECL. And yeah, on paper it should be more competitive, but as it's projected now you could end up with a group including Napoli, Betis and Hoffenheim in the Conference so there's a high chance of a few scuddings in there too. I'd be keen to go into the EL, guarantee of more cash and hope for a kind draw.

I think the Conference League has the right balance of glamour ties and winnable games along with a genuine chance of getting through to the knockouts. Even in the projected 4th pot for the Europa I'm seeing teams like Bilbao, Lens, Nice, Besiktas, Anderlecht etc. popping up in there.

Obviously when the playoff comes round I'll want us to win and it would represent a brilliant achievement for the club in itself. Getting a bye and then potentially taking 0 points doesn't hold the same appeal.

8 hours ago, DC92 said:

I think the Conference League has the right balance of glamour ties and winnable games along with a genuine chance of getting through to the knockouts. Even in the projected 4th pot for the Europa I'm seeing teams like Bilbao, Lens, Nice, Besiktas, Anderlecht etc. popping up in there.

Obviously when the playoff comes round I'll want us to win and it would represent a brilliant achievement for the club in itself. Getting a bye and then potentially taking 0 points doesn't hold the same appeal.

That's understandable

Our squad was battered last GS, though, with a manager that really did not know what to do in a lot of scenarios; we did well to get what we got

But, I won't want EL if we haven't got the decent signings required and the squad covering all positions satisfactorily, in order to make a go of it at that level

Guess we'll see

For Hearts in Europe (Ryan Air) Edinburgh to -

Agadir Alicante Barcelona Bari Belfast International Bergerac Berlin Brandenburg Beziers Cap d'Agde Biarritz Billund Bologna Bordeaux Bournemouth Bratislava Brussels Charleroi Bucharest Budapest Cologne Copenhagen Corfu Cork Dublin Dusseldorf Weeze Eindhoven Faro Fuerteventura Gdansk Göteborg Landvetter Gran Canaria Hamburg Ibiza Karlsruhe / Baden-Baden Kaunas Knock Krakow Lanzarote Lisbon London Stansted Madrid Malaga Malta Marrakesh Marseille Memmingen Milan Bergamo Nantes Naples Newquay Cornwall Palermo Palma de Mallorca Paris Beauvais Pisa Poitiers Porto Poznan Prague Rhodes Riga Rome Ciampino Santander Seville Shannon Sofia Tenerife South Tirana Toulouse Valencia Venice M.Polo Vienna Warsaw Modlin Wroclaw Zadar

2 hours ago, Craigie Jambo said:

That's understandable

Our squad was battered last GS, though, with a manager that really did not know what to do in a lot of scenarios; we did well to get what we got

But, I won't want EL if we haven't got the decent signings required and the squad covering all positions satisfactorily, in order to make a go of it at that level

Guess we'll see

The main issue was that a lot of the squad wasn't available.

We were playing games that would have been difficult at full strength with a team that was far from full strength.

No reason to assume it'll be as difficult this time.

4 hours ago, Craigie Jambo said:

That's understandable

Guess we'll see

It was also one of the rare groups where the 2nd seed over performed and won the group 

Posted (edited)

Dortmund are 3-0 down to Mainz which means that Leipzig’s point at home to Bremen will see them finish 4th ahead of Dortmund

2 early goals for Bologna in Napoli were enough to see them go 7 clear of Atalanta

Juve are now 4th but host already relegated Salernitana tomorrow with the chance to go above bologna

things are falling into place

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

On 11/05/2024 at 07:41, VincentGuerin said:

The main issue was that a lot of the squad wasn't available.

We were playing games that would have been difficult at full strength with a team that was far from full strength.

No reason to assume it'll be as difficult this time.

That's my belief, yes

21 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It was also one of the rare groups where the 2nd seed over performed and won the group

The Italian mob actually had a coefficient of just over 17 at the time and finished 2nd, istanbul had a 25.000 coefficient

8 minutes ago, DC92 said:

His quotes certainly seem like someone who is sticking around. Fucking great news if true. He makes such a huge difference to the team.

Interesting to hear Donaldson saying this week that we've offered Shankland a package worth £14k a week. Certainly seems to be money available, and we're building from a position of strength just now. Keeping Beni would be a really good step.

We could have a good team next season.