OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

4 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

We are European group stage as f**k.

Naismith manages it with three games to go. Neilson managed it with five to go.

Naismith out.

First time we’ve been in Europe three seasons on the bounce 

This will be at least 20 European games in three seasons after 18 in the previous 15 years 

it’s at times like this I’m  quite glad we didn’t let the club die 

Posted (edited)

Hard work starts now. Get the recruitment right. Get a dependable RB, anyone that leaves replaced and another attacker or two with a killer instinct.

Next season is probably going to be one of the toughest we'll experience. I really thought we'd shown enough last season to handle the European games but it knocked the stuffing out of us at the end. No winter break to fall back on and I fully expect Hibs and Aberdeen to bring it next season.

Edited by the jambo-rocker

Just woke at 3

Checked to see if 3rd was sealed by looking at the PGC page 1 to confirm if the 'lets all laugh at rangers' thread was bumped

:rubbed_hands:

Checked Soccerway

:rubbed_hands_again:

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

First time we’ve been in Europe three seasons on the bounce 

This will be at least 20 European games in three seasons after 18 in the previous 15 years 

it’s at times like this I’m  quite glad we didn’t let the club die 

Beautiful.  3rd place guaranteed with a manager that everyone laughed at us appointing. Meanwhile Hibs are struggling away in the bottom 6, lapping up Montgomery's words about being best team just not getting the breaks.. 

12 minutes ago, Fergie's Free Kick said:

Stadium falling apart, team are just about the worst I've seen. New stadium naught but a dream. Mind the gap.

There's actually 2 gaps now, if you're looking at their 5 year European Coefficient 🫠

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Thierry Henry Smile GIF by hamlet

Even we've managed it 4 years in a row.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, the jambo-rocker said:

Hard work starts now. Get the recruitment right. Get a dependable RB, anyone that leaves replaced and another attacker or two with a killer instinct.

Next season is probably going to be one of the toughest we'll experience. I really thought we'd shown enough last season to handle the European games but it knocked the stuffing out of us at the end. No winter break to fall back on and I fully expect Hibs and Aberdeen to bring it next season.

Nobody has managed a third-placed finish while playing group stage fitba yet, but I think we're well-placed to do it next season.

A lot of comings and goings ahead, but we've known that we're going to finish third since about the turn of the year, so I'd imagine we're reasonably well down the recruitment path already. Three signed for next year, all of whom seem reasonable squad additions to me. We'll have money to spend, and nobody we want will be signing for any other non-OF team unless they overpay for them. Which is fine.

Hibs and Aberdeen will both surely be less bad next season, but neither have really had a good team for years now, and I don't see anything we should be intimidated by or fearful of. Aberdeen have a model that makes them money from player sales, but is a recruitment model that gets you bottom six two years in three something for us to worry about? Hibs are more of an unknown, but as things stand today we have no reason to be overly concerned by them.

Bottom line is, we aim for 65 points again, and that'll probably do the job.

Edited by VincentGuerin

15 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Nobody has managed a third-placed finish while playing group stage fitba yet, but I think we're well-placed to do it next season.

A lot of comings and goings ahead, but we've known that we're going to finish third since about the turn of the year, so I'd imagine we're reasonably well down the recruitment path already. Three signed for next year, all of whom seem reasonable squad additions to me. We'll have money to spend, and nobody we want will be signing for any other non-OF team unless they overpay for them. Which is fine.

Hibs and Aberdeen will both surely be less bad next season, but neither have really had a good team for years now, and I don't see anything we should be intimidated by or fearful of. Aberdeen have a model that makes them money from player sales, but is a recruitment model that gets you bottom six two years in three something for us to worry about? Hibs are more of an unknown, but as things stand today we have no reason to be overly concerned by them.

Bottom line is, we aim for 65 points again, and that'll probably do the job.

Yep - Aberdeen will be stronger, but I feel they will still be unfocused due to their money being needed for stadium issues. They might get it right, but I'm not too worried.  Hibs are a basket case, and I actually really like them, they're funny.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Fergie's Free Kick said:

Yep - Aberdeen will be stronger, but I feel they will still be unfocused due to their money being needed for stadium issues. They might get it right, but I'm not too worried.  Hibs are a basket case, and I actually really like them, they're funny.

They're unlikely to be building a stadium any time soon, I just think their model is misguided in that it seems to be good at identifying certain players who will make them money, but quite scattergun in that they end up with loads of shite. Ultimately, the results speak for themselves. In comparison we've been a consistent side for three years now.

But, like I mentioned above, it doesn't really matter what they do. We're building from a position of strength, and it's up to us to build a squad that can get 65+ points while playing in Europe.

I think the three signings we've made so far are all reasonable additions to a squad like that, and none of them will have broken the bank. But we've got a big summer ahead.

Edited by VincentGuerin

Posted (edited)

It's worth saying the group stages are no more and we'll actually be playing in the league stage next season.

https://www.heartsstandard.co.uk/news/24300295.hearts-europe-conference-league-best/

The Europa League has 4 pots of 9 teams. If we qualify we would play 2 different teams from each pot (4H, 4A).

The Conference League has 6 pots of 6 teams. We would play one team from each pot (3H, 3A).

In either case we go into one big table of 36 teams with the top 24 progressing. If we can better our 6 points from last time we'll have a good chance of getting to the knockouts via the Conference route.

Edited by DC92

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, DC92 said:

It's worth saying the group stages are no more and we'll actually be playing in the league stage next season.

https://www.heartsstandard.co.uk/news/24300295.hearts-europe-conference-league-best/

The Europa League has 4 pots of 9 teams. If we qualify we would play 2 different teams from each pot (4H, 4A).

The Conference League has 6 pots of 6 teams. We would play one team from each pot (3H, 3A).

In either case we go into one big table of 36 teams with the top 24 progressing. If we can better our 6 points from last time we'll have a good chance of getting to the knockouts via the Conference route.

We probably wouldn't need to better the six points. Top 24 is enough to get through to the playoff round, so gubbing two diddies of similar stature to RFS would likely get us to that.

FWIW, I think Conference League next season is best for us long-term.

Edited by VincentGuerin

1 minute ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The conference league final is in Wrocław but the Europa league final is in Dublin which would be a lot easier to get to

Wroclaw is much better, imo. Cheaper too.

And I'd challenge your assertion that Dublin is easier. We can get the train to Wroclaw!

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Wroclaw is much better, imo. Cheaper too.

And I'd challenge your assertion that Dublin is easier. We can get the train to Wroclaw!

Fair enough although  I suspect the supply of hotels in Wrocław would be overwhelmed so it could end up expensive anyway 

. I read a history of Wrocław once. Apparently it was the last surviving city in the third reich. They surrendered a few days after Berlin fell

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

15 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The conference league final is in Wrocław but the Europa league final is in Dublin which would be a lot easier to get to

This year's final is in Dublin. Next year's is in Bilbao.

46 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Fair enough although  I suspect the supply of hotels in Wrocław would be overwhelmed so it could end up expensive anyway 

. I read a history of Wrocław once. Apparently it was the last surviving city in the third reich. They surrendered a few days after Berlin fell

Wroclaw is also the venue for the most famous German national team XI ever, still named after the city's previous name, The Breslau Efl (not a character from a Disney film).

It's a fine city.

When we reach the final, I'll avoid your hotel issues by staying in Poznan and communting in.

Bilbao is acceptable as it can be reached by train. Unsure of the hotel situation.

I'll start to really worry about this after we win the semi final first leg.