OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

21 hours ago, coprolite said:

Most clubs have cash in the bank at their balance sheet date because they account to June and have just sold a load of Season tickets. It would be misleading to think that’s in there all year round. 

What difference does that make? It's there in the final reckoning for the financial year. 

53 minutes ago, Tommy Tappin said:

What difference does that make? It's there in the final reckoning for the financial year. 

Basically it’s like checking your current account balance just after pay day 

You’ve got plenty of money but there’s going to be bills to pay over the month so it’s not simply “spare cash”

Nonetheless it’s a lot better than not having plenty of money after payday with bills to come

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

3 hours ago, Tommy Tappin said:

Like @topcat(The most tip top) says, it’s better than it not being there but just having a decent pile of cash isn’t enough info to say that all is rosy.  You need to know how fast the cash is going to be used and can be replaced, as well as how well assured your sources are and how easily you can cut your cloth if needed. 

Having £6M of cash in July gets Hearts to Halloween at current rates of expenditure, if there was nothing else coming in.  They probably don’t have many more tickets to sell but will get TV money and their donations.  I don’t know how assured the donations are, but Brooks Mileson had historically supported Gretna right up until he didn’t.

I’m not sure it’s healthy or stable for Hearts to be so heavily reliant on these donations. Having cash in the bank doesn’t change that. The Hearts fans do seem relatively relaxed about their ability to cut their cloth though and undoubtedly understand the situation better than I do.

(Same applies to us relying on Dave’s equity injections to a lesser extent but this is the Hearts thread.)

53 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Like @topcat(The most tip top) says, it’s better than it not being there but just having a decent pile of cash isn’t enough info to say that all is rosy.  You need to know how fast the cash is going to be used and can be replaced, as well as how well assured your sources are and how easily you can cut your cloth if needed. 

Having £6M of cash in July gets Hearts to Halloween at current rates of expenditure, if there was nothing else coming in.  They probably don’t have many more tickets to sell but will get TV money and their donations.  I don’t know how assured the donations are, but Brooks Mileson had historically supported Gretna right up until he didn’t.

I’m not sure it’s healthy or stable for Hearts to be so heavily reliant on these donations. Having cash in the bank doesn’t change that. The Hearts fans do seem relatively relaxed about their ability to cut their cloth though and undoubtedly understand the situation better than I do.

(Same applies to us relying on Dave’s equity injections to a lesser extent but this is the Hearts thread.)

I'll be honest I would have expected Hearts to be squirreling some cash into the bank given this year's turnover figures and they do seem to burn through cash at an accelerated rate. They will have to do some downsizing of spending for next season as UEFA money will be much less than this year but there are good sensible people running Hearts. The days of ego fuelled insanity splurges are long gone. 

There's no avoiding the fact that longer term planning will have to look at the post James Anderson landscape. He is not going to fund Hearts year on year forever and his business interests are no longer in Edinburgh. I don't think Aberdeen should be reliant on Dave Cormack pumping in cash every year either, nor HIbs expecting occasional cash injections from the Gordon family. At some point self sufficiency has to be the only way to go.  Outwith the uglies Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen are significantly larger clubs than the rest in terms of turnover, fanbase and matchday revenues. That alone should be enough to see them clear of the chasing pack. At least in theory.

On 16/11/2023 at 14:31, AndyM said:

I'll be honest I would have expected Hearts to be squirreling some cash into the bank given this year's turnover figures and they do seem to burn through cash at an accelerated rate. They will have to do some downsizing of spending for next season as UEFA money will be much less than this year but there are good sensible people running Hearts. The days of ego fuelled insanity splurges are long gone. 

There's no avoiding the fact that longer term planning will have to look at the post James Anderson landscape. He is not going to fund Hearts year on year forever and his business interests are no longer in Edinburgh. I don't think Aberdeen should be reliant on Dave Cormack pumping in cash every year either, nor HIbs expecting occasional cash injections from the Gordon family. At some point self sufficiency has to be the only way to go.  Outwith the uglies Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen are significantly larger clubs than the rest in terms of turnover, fanbase and matchday revenues. That alone should be enough to see them clear of the chasing pack. At least in theory.

In fairness, a lot of the Anderson cash is going on precisely the type of projects designed to look to the post Anderson landscape. 

The FoH money is pretty fire proof, the odd fluctuation in subs from the more volatile in the support aside, but i don't think we'll need to build a hotel every year so when those things are in place the need to rely on him will be reduced - all of the money he provides is well budgeted in advance, we're no hanging out outside his gaff busking to pay Andy Halliday's wages.

All in theory obviously and the wage increase needs to be used to widen that gap to the smaller teams

39 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

In fairness, a lot of the Anderson cash is going on precisely the type of projects designed to look to the post Anderson landscape.

This is the part that the screaming .netters miss. Hearts are investing in infrastructure, and that's the sensible thing to do when you've got a fan with more money than sense.

The hotel hasn't been done magnificently, and I think the operation has shortcomings, but things like a hotel, a restaurant, planned infrastructure to bring the club non-matchday revenue, these are all sensible things and will leave us better off.

The football management side of the club is dreadful, but the general direction the club is going in is well intentioned.

We're definitely not making enough of what is a very good position relative to other clubs though.

It's a curse that affects all of our houses, however. If your average Hibby had been told, on the day we went into admin, that they'd gain precisely zero medium (f**k, even short) term advantage over us, they'd scarcely have believed that. Remember all their crowing at the time? What do they have to show for it? f**k all. And that's because they've been a badly run club.

Aberdeen had a situation where Hearts, Hibs, and Rangers all self-imploded. What are they left to show for it? Again, f**k all. They've finished tenth as often as third in the last five seasons. The chance to build in a lasting advantage was squandered. We're three poorly run clubs and there's no real getting away from that.

Edited by VincentGuerin

25 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

This is the part that the screaming .netters miss. Hearts are investing in infrastructure, and that's the sensible thing to do when you've got a fan with more money than sense.

The hotel hasn't been done magnificently, and I think the operation has shortcomings, but things like a hotel, a restaurant, planned infrastructure to bring the club non-matchday revenue, these are all sensible things and will leave us better off.

The football management side of the club is dreadful, but the general direction the club is going in is well intentioned.

We're definitely not making enough of what is a very good position relative to other clubs though.

It's a curse that affects all of our houses, however. If your average Hibby had been told, on the day we went into admin, that they'd gain precisely zero medium (f**k, even short) term advantage over us, they'd scarcely have believed that. Remember all their crowing at the time? What do they have to show for it? f**k all. And that's because they've been a badly run club.

Aberdeen had a situation where Hearts, Hibs, and Rangers all self-imploded. What are they left to show for it? Again, f**k all. They've finished tenth as often as third in the last five seasons. The chance to build in a lasting advantage was squandered. We're three poorly run clubs and there's no real getting away from that.

Is this guaranteed? Are hearts renting out the building to a company to manage and therefore have a guaranteed fee?  Happy to be corrected by someone in that sector, but I don’t think hotels are a sure thing to make a profit, unless you’re a big chain like premier inn where you can work off small margins on a big scale.

Your second point in bold I completely agree with; it’s surprising how none of the three can ever stay ahead of the rest of us diddies for more than a season or two.

Edited by PauloPerth

Just now, PauloPerth said:

Is this guaranteed? Are hearts renting out the building to a company to manage and therefore have a guaranteed fee?  Happy to be corrected by someone in that sector, but I don’t think hotels are a sure thing to make a profit, unless you’re a big chain like premier inn where you can work off small margins on a big scale.

Your second bold point I completely agree 

Is anything guaranteed? If it was guaranteed, every club would just do it.

I know from My Mole On The Inside that Hearts have done their homework and feel it's worthwhile. That's about as well as any club can do.

There have been significant disagreements internally about exactly how it should work, but I don't think there's any real worry that it'll be worthwhile. Hearts aren't running a full-scale hotel like the companies you mention. That's part of why they went ahead. They feel it's pretty low risk.

13 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Your second point in bold I completely agree with; it’s surprising how none of the three can ever stay ahead of the rest of us diddies for more than a season or two.

I have zero knowledge of Hearts hotel plans however our current owner has shown that a hotel at a football ground can work. Our hotel isn’t owned by the club now but it’s owned by the owner and I suppose as long as he is around then what’s good for him is good for us.

The hotel was mismanaged before when it was owned by the club and Johnston was running the show but now, based purely on value for money and how busy it is in the restaurant etc, I would say that it’s currently a good asset to have associated with the club.