OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

All of a sudden we have a bit momentum.  3 wins and only 1 defeat, where we shot ourselves in the foot in the last 4.  2 clean sheets in a row too after being unable to buy one previously. 

Critchley was quite brave in his choices tonight, I wasn't convinced with the lineup but now we can bring in Dhanda, Beni, Oyegoke to freshen the team up on Sunday.

A very enjoyable night. 

18 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

All of a sudden we have a bit momentum.  3 wins and only 1 defeat, where we shot ourselves in the foot in the last 4.  2 clean sheets in a row too after being unable to buy one previously. 

Critchley was quite brave in his choices tonight, I wasn't convinced with the lineup but now we can bring in Dhanda, Beni, Oyegoke to freshen the team up on Sunday.

A very enjoyable night. 

The fact that a fair couple folk were inhaling through gritted teeth at that first 11 and we blew the c***s away in the first half hour says that there is definitely more to Critchley and his squad management than the weak appointment some of us expected (myself included).

Whit a start in any case

RDT_20241024_2241484024459458412730414.thumb.jpg.a027798c8129b0af6c8f2290d7312d28.jpg

26 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is there a chance any new manager was going to get good early results?

You have such a good squad, that was underperforming so much, a "bounce" felt inevitable really.

Well there was no immediate improvement with Fox. It happened slowly.  

No one is saying NC is the messing but he's made very clear changes in 2 games to the way we play. 

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You have such a good squad, that was underperforming so much, a "bounce" felt inevitable really.

Yeah could be a new manager bounce, we’ll have to see longer term how things go.

Still all you can ever do is get behind the new guy in charge, whether you think he was a good choice or not. Critchley has made some changes already that have us playing better, so it’s not all luck and players just putting in more effort. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

There's a bit of that,  but it's the difference in intent that's important for me.   That's 2 games where we've looked to start fast and play forward.  There's a lot of managers who'd have wanted to come in and focus on the defence cause we'd been leaking goals all over the place. 

If we play at that pace at Tynecastle we'll win most games

56 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Well there was no immediate improvement with Fox. It happened slowly.  

No one is saying NC is the messing but he's made very clear changes in 2 games to the way we play. 

No immediate improvement with Fox. As a United fan I am shocked at that news 

1 hour ago, Glen Scotia said:

No immediate improvement with Fox. As a United fan I am shocked at that news 

Tbf to Fox he inherited a shitshow and and a squad absolutely devoid of confidence. He got us moving in the right direction, I think he can be happy with what he did. Critchley has then kicked us on an extra gear just by introducing simple things.

36 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Tbf to Fox he inherited a shitshow and and a squad absolutely devoid of confidence. He got us moving in the right direction, I think he can be happy with what he did. Critchley has then kicked us on an extra gear just by introducing simple things.

Critchley has introduced simple things to kick you on (results and performances show that) the fact Fox hasnt/couldnt/didn't introduce simple things is where I (a United fan) am not surprised in the slightest 

1 hour ago, Tony Wonder said:

Being a caretaker manager must be like being the supply teacher

You're not going to be there for long and so nobody's going to pay much attention to what you're saying anyway

53 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

Critchley has introduced simple things to kick you on (results and performances show that) the fact Fox hasnt/couldnt/didn't introduce simple things is where I (a United fan) am not surprised in the slightest 

Fox did simplify things. It worked and steadied the ship

Critchley has added additional simple, clear instructions which has improved us further. His simple things were different from Fox's simple things as he has a different idea of how to play and built on top of already said simplified things. Simple

1 minute ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

I think Fox deserves a bit of credit tbf - every game he was in saw an improvement in terms of performance.  It was important in putting a bit of confidence back in the team cause we were not creating much till he stepped in. 

Are you suggesting he was a decent pick as interim manager but wouldn't have been  the best choice long term? That sound like a balanced and sensible opinion!

Don't you realise you're on the internet?

Every manager must be either a genius or a clown, no middle ground here

17 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Fox did simplify things. It worked and steadied the ship

Critchley has added additional simple, clear instructions which has improved us further. His simple things were different from Fox's simple things as he has a different idea of how to play and built on top of already said simplified things. Simple

Fox and simple. I hear you 

15 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Are you suggesting he was a decent pick as interim manager but wouldn't have been  the best choice long term? That sound like a balanced and sensible opinion!

Don't you realise you're on the internet?

Every manager must be either a genius or a clown, no middle ground here

True, it won't happen again.

I have both my statue planning application and pitchfork ready for Sunday

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

To an extent. 

In his excellent book "Why England Lose: & Other Curious Football Phenomena Explained" Stefan Szymanski explains the "new manager bounce" as usually being down to reversion to the mean. Managers get sacked on the back of a uncharacteristically bad run of form and bad runs come to an end eventually whether you change managers or not. 

Certainly when we were on 1 point out of 7 games I don't think even the most miserable hearts fan thought we'd fail to pick up the pace eventually. Our early performances certainly didn't merit glory but there was a feeling we were worth more than one point out of 21, not a lot more mind you.

We'd hit that perfect storm of being neither good nor lucky. Even if nothing else changed then surely at least our luck would have turned 

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

You just have to compare the performances at Tynecastle in Naismith's interim spell (was it 60 shots on goal between the Ross County and Aberdeen wins?) to how his team played when he got the job permanently to know this probably won't last.

Still, Critchley's said and done all the right things in his first week. The changes last night were all either tactical or based on player condition rather than the rotation for rotation's sake we had in August.