Your first gig

This has probably been done already but I can't see it anywhere. Anyway, what was the first gig you ever went to?

Mine was The Rolling Stones at Hampden on 9th July 1990.

I was 14 years old at the time. I went with my dad and it was a cracking day out. As strange as it may seem now, Glasgow was an exotic place for a kid from Montrose to visit at that time. bright lights, big city etc. We got the train and Glasgow was in the grip of Stones fever. There were posters for the gig everywhere and plenty of people walking around had Stones tshirts. I remember we had a meal at Wimpey and then spent the afternoon browsing record shops and Forbidden Planet before catching a train to Mount Florida and heading to Hampden.

Obviously this was before the seats were put in and we were stood on the terracing opposite the main stand. The place was packed and the crowd was a fairly even split of straight laced middle aged couples and assorted stoners, hippies, bikers and goths. A guy at the front of the terrace climbed over the perimeter fence and onto the pitch leading the stewards on a Benny Hill chase. This opened the floodgates and dozens of others climbed over in his wake. I'd never witnessed drug abuse before but the were some seriously large joints getting passed around. Out of the corner of my eye i saw my dad take a puff from one when he thought I wasn't looking.

Gun were the support act and TBH they were not particularly memorable. The Stones were really good, although the gig did go flat for a bit when they insisted on playing a few tracks from their latest album that no fucker wanted to hear.

Getting home was a bit of a nightmare. Queen Street station was mobbed and we were packed in like sardines on the last train heading north. 

Anyway, I was just reminiscing about this today. So what was your first gig?

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

The Rolling Stones, 16th September 1973, Glasgow Apollo. Tickets 1.65.

When they insisted on playing a few tracks from their new album, the place went apeshit.

Support act was Billy Preston, who was also part of the Stones band that tour, and he was excellent.

Every time I saw them after that (76, 82, 98) reminded me how much Mick Taylor brought to that band, an observation that is not intended as a put-down of Ronnie Wood. Mick Taylor is just a sublime guitarist. Feast your ears on these. Winter is a solo version of the track from the 1973 Stones album Goats Head Soup:

Edited by Barney Rubble

54 minutes ago, Oscar Wilder said:

The Stranglers /The Skids, 26th May 1978!! Started off in the upper circle and ended up in the stalls and then on the stage, when it got invaded!!
Absolutely brilliant gig!! emoji4.png

I saw The Stranglers a few times at the Apollo and they employed support acts that seemed chosen deliberately to piss off the audience (not hard to do at the Apollo tbf).

On one occasion I think they had a mime artist, or song and dance man maybe, who came on with a cassette player instead of a backing band.

You can guess the rest...

Edited by Academically Deficient
Spelling

On a skool trip to London & we were originally scheduled to see some Shakespeare play being recorded for TV but it fell through and somehow we ended up at an In Concert recording of Rockpile - Dave Edmonds, Nick Lowe, Billy Bremner (not the footballer) & Terry Williams - still in my Top 10.

First gig I bought tickets for was Nazereth with Saxon supporting at The Apollo in 79.

Going off at a tangent another one of my fave gigs was Bob Marley at a half filled Apollo - how many copies has Legend sold, as they say nothing helps your career like dying...

Edited by btb

7 minutes ago, btb said:

Going off at a tangent another one of my fave gigs was Bob Marley at a half filled Apollo - how many copies has legend sold, as they say nothing helps your career like dying...

Friday 10th &  Saturday11th July 1980 - his only gigs in Scotland ever.

The Friday gig certainly wasn't half empty, that's for sure.

His second encore was him alone on acoustic - Redemption Song - gorgeous. Uprising had only been released in June.

And ten months later he was gone.........................

1 hour ago, Oscar Wilder said:

The Stranglers /The Skids, 26th May 1978!! Started off in the upper circle and ended up in the stalls and then on the stage, when it got invaded!!
Absolutely brilliant gig!! emoji4.png

My first gig too. Walked in halfway through Skids set and couldn't believe feeling the music in my internal organs. I'd arrived in heaven. 

8 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

Slade with support from Thin Lizzy and Suzi Quatro.  24 November 1972 at the Empire Theatre (now the Festival Theatre ??) in Edinburgh.

Impressive line-up!!

Jethro Tull Apollo 1977 was mine:

http://therockandrollknife.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2011-10-20T14%3A21%3A00-07%3A00&max-results=1

1 hour ago, Academically Deficient said:

I saw The Stranglers a few times at the Apollo and they employed support acts that seemed chosen deliberately to piss off the audience (not hard to do at the Apollo tbf).

On one occasion I think they had a mime artist, or song and dance man maybe, who came on with a cassette player instead of a backing band.

You can guess the rest...

George Melly supported them on the Black and White tour.

12 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Friday 10th &  Saturday11th July 1980 - his only gigs in Scotland ever.

The Friday gig certainly wasn't half empty, that's for sure.

His second encore was him alone on acoustic - Redemption Song - gorgeous. Uprising had only been released in June.

And ten months later he was gone.........................

Can't remember what night we went but we got tickets on the night quite close to the front in the stalls, my memory might be, ahem, a bit hazy but it was nowhere near full.

Same encore the night I went...

On a tangent again I was on the train to Glasgow to see Walter Trout the same night as Take That (with Robbie) played Glasgow - it was a boisterous train up with the laydeez knocking back bottles of Bacardi etc like there was no tomorrow - as ever Walter was top notch while the TT boyz must've done the business coz the laydeez were definitely post-coital on the way back.  

At the tender age of 12 I went with my 14 year old mate and his older brother to Parkhead for The Who/Alex Harvey concert. I loved Alex Harvey, my only Who record knowledge was 60s stuff so the mid 70s rock sound I liked less but my ears were ringing.

31 minutes ago, btb said:

Can't remember what night we went but we got tickets on the night quite close to the front in the stalls, my memory might be, ahem, a bit hazy but it was nowhere near full.

Same encore the night I went...

On a tangent again I was on the train to Glasgow to see Walter Trout the same night as Take That (with Robbie) played Glasgow - it was a boisterous train up with the laydeez knocking back bottles of Bacardi etc like there was no tomorrow - as ever Walter was top notch while the TT boyz must've done the business coz the laydeez were definitely post-coital on the way back.  

We were in town one of the nights. No tickets but an idea just chance it. All bar one got waylaid. He wondered in the stage door down the lane and watched the gig from the side of the stage. Totally unchallenged all night.

My first, at the age of 12, was The Move, as I had a relation in a band, The Boots, who got me in. Bizarrely perhaps to some, this was in the Dobbie Hall in Stenhousemuir, but it was a venue on the circuit, Gene Vincent, Dave Dee Dozy Mick and Tich, The Tremeloes, Marmalade, The Searchers, The Troggs, Cat Stevens and Love Affair all played there around that time.

Think The Move had already had 4 or 5 top five singles by that time.

15 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

My first, at the age of 12, was The Move, as I had a relation in a band, The Boots, who got me in. Bizarrely perhaps to some, this was in the Dobbie Hall in Stenhousemuir, but it was a venue on the circuit, Gene Vincent, Dave Dee Dozy Mick and Tich, The Tremeloes, Marmalade, The Searchers, The Troggs, Cat Stevens and Love Affair all played there around that time.

Think The Move had already had 4 or 5 top five singles by that time.

It was before my time but I believe quite a few big bands in the 60s played in places like that.

The Locarno in Montrose hosted gigs by the like of The Small Faces and The Yardbirds.

The was also a club in Elgin called The Two Red Shoes that put on gigs by The Beatles, The Who etc.