Mighty Montrose FC Thread

2-0 up, lineup posted online is wrong, Gill and Maciver-Redwood starting instead of Matthews and Hermiston 

scrap that, 2-1, Lachie Macleod for BoD.

Edited by Aidan

12 minutes ago, The Gable Endie said:

Who were our scorers?

Masson and Lyons. Gardyne came off early first half for Brown, Gill and Maciver-Redwood off for Matthews and Craig at half time, seems to be Lyons and Brown playing up top. 

Good run out that today all about getting the players fit and ready for the new season ahead.

Thought both of the new lads showed up well along with the youngsters today the future looks promising for a number of they lads if they keep performing at this level.

15 hours ago, mo83 said:

Good run out that today all about getting the players fit and ready for the new season ahead.

Thought both of the new lads showed up well along with the youngsters today the future looks promising for a number of they lads if they keep performing at this level.

Completely agree. Still much to do of course for League 1 but we were without Williamson, Dillon, Waddell, Watson, Webster, Machado, Hermiston, but good stuff from Rio Bradford, Harry Craig, Ben McIver-Redwood, Jay Cochrane, Fraser Donaldson and Owen Emslie with the latter looking like a determined player such as a future Watson or Masson. Some started the game, others came on but it was good stuff albeit against a Highland League team who themselves fielded 7 trialists throughout the game.

As I say though still much to do and must aim to get off to a good start with the older guys hitting the ground running to support and help the the younger ones in a League 1 team. Still think we need a target man for many reasons - maybe a lad like Paul Tosh - remember him beside Martin Boyle who he helped come to good in his day. Must be someone who can hold up and lay off play and can blend in like Dillo has done in Defence. Last word for Kerr Waddell who we need back BUT his return must be right so take your time Kerr, you deserve it.

Another good shift this time against FT opposition,played some excellent football and like Saturday some of they young lads have been excellent.

Maciver-Redwood looks like he good be a good partner for Hester this season. Craig Smith at the back looks a decent find too, although it is of course difficult to judge too much based on a couple of friendlies. Aulay Martin played well I thought, delivery wasn’t the greatest but considering he’s gone from playing Midlands League last season, to playing against a full time team tonight, he didn’t look at all out of place. 

8 hours ago, Aidan said:

Maciver-Redwood looks like he good be a good partner for Hester this season. Craig Smith at the back looks a decent find too, although it is of course difficult to judge too much based on a couple of friendlies. Aulay Martin played well I thought, delivery wasn’t the greatest but considering he’s gone from playing Midlands League last season, to playing against a full time team tonight, he didn’t look at all out of place. 

Yeah I thought the young lad Aulay Martin played really well last night,had a couple good runs and seems pretty fast.

6 hours ago, mo83 said:

Yeah I thought the young lad Aulay Martin played really well last night,had a couple good runs and seems pretty fast.

He played a lot of games for Roselea last season and was actually their second top scorer with I think 15 or 16 goals. Also got their young player of the year.

Obviously a pretty big step up from Midlands to League 1 but if last seasons stats and last nights appearance are anything to go by, he’ll be a very useful option for us. 

3 hours ago, Aidan said:

He played a lot of games for Roselea last season and was actually their second top scorer with I think 15 or 16 goals. Also got their young player of the year.

Obviously a pretty big step up from Midlands to League 1 but if last seasons stats and last nights appearance are anything to go by, he’ll be a very useful option for us. 

Definitely good option same with the other couple young lads,be interesting to see what SP and the team do with all these guys as right now I'd have 2 possibly 3 in around the first team.

1-2 Spartans no.19 (Henderson?)

2-2 ditto

At which pint both teams made 5 substitutions and there was a tropical downpour, making the rest of the game fairly meaningless 

For the record the game finished      2-2.   Shrive, Hermiston, Craig Smith and Ross Matthews played the whole match and we gave decent run-outs to quite a few of the young lads.

Pre-Season wrapped up last night and now onto Saturday League cup against Partick Thistle.

Looking at the squad I'm pretty happy with the Postion we are in at the moment with player's.We seem to have a good mix of experience and youngster's,some will move out on loan but I'd think we will keep 1-2 for the first team squad and they deserve it.

Loans will be an option again and I reckon if we could add 2-3 really good loans like we have had previous seasons we will be absolutely fine for the the season ahead.

I don't think Webby had even touched the ball before he tackled Milne, the PF left wing back, and lay prone afterwards.  Hopefully it is better then it looked, but very concerning.

Star show from Michael Gardyne who looked the best player on the pitch when he was on the ball.  Great to have Masson strutting around again, looking solid, and I thought Ali Shrive also had a strong game.  Everyone did well though.  Shrive/Gardyne/Hermiston combo to destroy the heart of PF's defence for our second goal was magnificent.

Shame about the result, although clearly PF had too much for us - but their third goal from Brian Graham had more than a whiff of handball about it.

Plenty folk writing off the Mo's chances early on in the prediction thread, but I'm not buying that ... a narrow loss in Maryhill is far from a disaster. Think you guys will do well as usual.

1 hour ago, Mo-time said:

I don't think Webby had even touched the ball before he tackled Milne, the PF left wing back, and lay prone afterwards.  Hopefully it is better then it looked, but very concerning.

Star show from Michael Gardyne who looked the best player on the pitch when he was on the ball.  Great to have Masson strutting around again, looking solid, and I thought Ali Shrive also had a strong game.  Everyone did well though.  Shrive/Gardyne/Hermiston combo to destroy the heart of PF's defence for our second goal was magnificent.

Shame about the result, although clearly PF had too much for us - but their third goal from Brian Graham had more than a whiff of handball about it.

Agree with your Gardyne comment, brilliant yesterday.