Combined senior/junior ranking (282 clubs)

mcruic

• 1 month later...

Yeah, it's back up as of yesterday, and fully updated up to Sunday with a couple of new teams (Linton Hotspur, Knightswood, etc.) - also included are Highland Pyramid and Lowland Pyramid rankings.  I think what they show is that if and when a West of Scotland team gets up to the Lowland League, they should go straight up again.  Overall, the WoS Premier is stronger than the Lowland League, despite being one tier lower.  The Lowland is now stronger than the EoS Premier due to a number of the EoS' teams going upwards, so the pyramid is (very slowly) sorting itself out.  South of Scotland really isn't a Tier 6 league (nor is North Caledonian) - they should really be regional feeders to Tier 6 (and I still maintain the Lowland League was set up before West teams showed interest in joining the pyramid - 3 leagues at Tier 5 would better represent the club geography of Scotland).

Amateur and Welfare is too much for one person to manage - I stopped updating on 26 May, so I missed the last week or 2 of results from the amateur leagues, but I realised recently why I had started my site in the first place - a few of the leagues have completely deleted all their results from last season (Saturday Morning FA, for example), and there's no way to find them, or the final league tables.  Hopefully someone can manage to provide something similar for the amateurs in the near future.  My ultimate aim was to integrate the senior and amateur and welfare teams on one ranking, but alas, time is not on my side at the moment!

Edited by mcruic

Great work. Though I think Celtic is missing from the Glasgow City list (FYI).

I know its a lot of work as is, though would love to see a de facto league standing for clubs based on the current league system (similar to what FWF did in September in this thread), to imagine what an actual competitive league system would look like!

20 hours ago, Pareidolia said:

Great work. Though I think Celtic is missing from the Glasgow City list (FYI).

I know its a lot of work as is, though would love to see a de facto league standing for clubs based on the current league system (similar to what FWF did in September in this thread), to imagine what an actual competitive league system would look like!

Thanks - I will rectify the Celtic omission - I noticed there's only 289 teams in the Council Area rankings, and 291 in the senior rankings, so there's actually another club missing, which I'll try to find.

De facto league standing is a great idea - I will see what I can do!

EDIT - Found missing club(s) - Saint Roch's and Vale of Clyde both missing from City of Glasgow also (and Huntly, somewhat ridiculously,  was listed in City of Glasgow, so I've removed them).

https://scotscores.theroonba.com/hypopyramid.html

Hypothetical pyramid based on current rankings - with the West clubs mostly moving up the pyramid, WOS 4th division shrinks to just 8 teams.  EoS 3rd grows from 11 to 15 teams, SoS moves from 12 to 13, Midlands shrinks from 20 to 15, North Region Championship grows from 14 to 20, so I've split it into 2 conferences, East and West.  North Caledonian grows from 12 to 13, with Clachnacuddin  Reserves being the only club of the 291 current senior clubs not listed here (due to the presence of Clachnacuddin in the same league).

Edited by mcruic

Great job! Cue arguments of whether Gala Fairydean should be in EoS or SoS...

I've always imagined KRR yoyo-ing between WoS and Lowland leagues, though it might take about 25 years to get to that point! Interesting to see WoS 8 teams down, too.

Edit - I like your attempt to create a functional league system given more North teams dropping down and South teams going up, exemplified by the North Region Championship East/West split.

Edited by Pareidolia

2 hours ago, Pareidolia said:

Great job! Cue arguments of whether Gala Fairydean should be in EoS or SoS...

I've always imagined KRR yoyo-ing between WoS and Lowland leagues, though it might take about 25 years to get to that point! Interesting to see WoS 8 teams down, too.

Edit - I like your attempt to create a functional league system given more North teams dropping down and South teams going up, exemplified by the North Region Championship East/West split.

Gala - East in my opinion - closer to Edinburgh than Dumfries.

If the pyramid was opened to amateur teams, some of the top clubs could be at Tier 7 level (WoS or EoS 1st), and would be much better than the teams currently mulling about in Tiers 9 and 10.

Whole pyramid needs an overhaul - it was set up in an era when there weren't many senior clubs in the "South", and so the Lowland League foundation stone was put in place, and everything has been built on top of that - no longer fit for purpose.  Threave Rovers currently showing what it would be like if the South of Scotland League was a feeder to the West of Scotland League - I think they'll find their level at WoS 1st or 2nd.  SoS should really be a Tier 8 feeder league.

Also, 3 Tier 5 leagues (West/East/North) would be better than the current system, and would reflect better Scotland's club geography.  I just experimented and made a system where it's possible to have the current 291-club 10 tier system condensed into 6 tiers (3 league, 3 non league tiers). A more balanced 83/94/72 split for North/West and East pyramids, rather than the imbalanced 80/169 currently for North/South.

condensedpyramid.png

Edited by mcruic

Re Gala - you're right of course! I might be thinking of Gretna actually when it comes to SoS/EoS confusion, come to think of it.

But yes the pyramid isn't in its final form but its going to take some incremental iterations before we get to a more permanent solution, notwithstanding any population or political overhauls. And lets not forget the business side of things, which tends to run counterintuitively of a meritocratic league system.

Edited by Pareidolia

Thinking what else would be useful for the page (and not too time-consuming to program) - I think a listing of results by competition might be good - I will try to program this over the next week or so.  I'd also like to do results further back in time (ideally to 2010-11), but it doesn't seem possible for a number of the leagues/cups, so I'll leave that for now.

18 minutes ago, mcruic said:

Thinking what else would be useful for the page

For the cups, a page listing the results for each round including the +/- on the ranking points etc, and one for the next round with the rankings and a prediction for the outcome?

1 hour ago, susanpab said:

I miss the actual league tables feature - yes, I know they can be accessed elsewhere, but it was great when they were all together on ScotScores....but I appreciate it's likely a lot of work to continually keep updated!

I'll see if I can find a way to get them back - as I don't have to do amateurs/Sunday/welfare, it might be possible to squeeze it in.

There's now a basic competitions database where you can view all results back to 2014/15 for current and former competitions.  Not the most attractive of interfaces, but it allows results to be seen (if you scroll down past the huge list of competitions), which is what it's meant to do, and it's automatic when I type in results into my master spreadsheet (so doesn't give me any extra work to do, other than the few hours it took me to set it up).

https://scotscores.theroonba.com/clubrank/comp.html

Edited by mcruic