Combined senior/junior ranking (282 clubs)

mcruic

I'm unsure why the Marymass trophy is included in that list, it's not an official competition run by the WoSFL. It's basically a friendly cup played for between two teams, the same as several other clubs do each year, e.g. Rutherglen Glencairn and Cambuslang Rangers play for the William Skinner Memorial Cup in our first meeting each year, whether that's a friendly match or competitive. There are lots of other examples.

On 04/09/2023 at 14:19, mcruic said:

Thinking what else would be useful for the page (and not too time-consuming to program) - I think a listing of results by competition might be good - I will try to program this over the next week or so.  I'd also like to do results further back in time (ideally to 2010-11), but it doesn't seem possible for a number of the leagues/cups, so I'll leave that for now.

I know. See if you highlight all the text on the page and then click Backspace that would help put this pointless exercise to bed.

It's a great site. Best place to keep up to date with all scores and tables, it's also fascinating with the ranking. I'm sure plenty of arguments can be made as to how to do it,. but the current one seems very sensible. 

Probably difficult, but a page for attendances would be very interesting. 

5 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

I know. See if you highlight all the text on the page and then click Backspace that would help put this pointless exercise to bed.

I highlighted all the text you typed, and pressed backspace - worked a treat, thanks!

On 11/09/2023 at 23:52, glensmad said:

I'm unsure why the Marymass trophy is included in that list, it's not an official competition run by the WoSFL. It's basically a friendly cup played for between two teams, the same as several other clubs do each year, e.g. Rutherglen Glencairn and Cambuslang Rangers play for the William Skinner Memorial Cup in our first meeting each year, whether that's a friendly match or competitive. There are lots of other examples.

I guess I included as it was a regular thing - the Clydesdale Cup as well, just basically a 4-team friendly tournament.  I wasn't aware of any others, that's why they weren't included.  I might consider including other "cups" if they are played for every season and aren't just random opponents (Marymass, William Skinner and Clydesdale are all geographically based).

2 minutes ago, mcruic said:

I guess I included as it was a regular thing - the Clydesdale Cup as well, just basically a 4-team friendly tournament.  I wasn't aware of any others, that's why they weren't included.  I might consider including other "cups" if they are played for every season and aren't just random opponents (Marymass, William Skinner and Clydesdale are all geographically based).

But they're basically just friendly matches.

6 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Aye take them out. It will be much more definitive as a result!

Reveal hidden contents

It won't. It will still be pointless.

If I knew there was a website with a big fat gorilla's bumhole on it, and I didn't like it, I would simply just not go there.  I wouldn't be on a gorilla's bumhole forum complaining about it being there, otherwise people might think I liked looking at gorilla's bumholes.

15 hours ago, lowenan said:

It's a great site. Best place to keep up to date with all scores and tables, it's also fascinating with the ranking. I'm sure plenty of arguments can be made as to how to do it,. but the current one seems very sensible. 

Probably difficult, but a page for attendances would be very interesting. 

Aye, that would be pretty impossible beyond Tier 5 - even for this season, never mind previous seasons, until clubs start giving official figures.  You wouldn't think it would be hard to count how many people have paid to get in, no matter what tier the team plays in.

8 hours ago, mcruic said:

If I knew there was a website with a big fat gorilla's bumhole on it, and I didn't like it, I would simply just not go there.  I wouldn't be on a gorilla's bumhole forum complaining about it being there, otherwise people might think I liked looking at gorilla's bumholes.

That would hold water if the complainant had been on said website but they haven't. They've merely commented on a public forum on what they believe is a worthless exercise based on the other comments.

Spoiler

image.png.47c0ae62fbb389c7f57467bba43a1cd1.png

3 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

That would hold water if the complainant had been on said website but they haven't. They've merely commented on a public forum on what they believe is a worthless exercise based on the other comments.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.47c0ae62fbb389c7f57467bba43a1cd1.png

Ah I see, so I wasted my time with the ape posterior analogy. Ho hum.

Well, free to think of it what you will, but you haven't actually said why you think it's worthless (whatever "it" may be - the results, the tables, the rankings, all of it?).  There have been a few critical (largely constructive) comments on this thread, and by and large they seem positive, so maybe you read the other comments with some kind of inherent bias.

11 minutes ago, mcruic said:

Ah I see, so I wasted my time with the ape posterior analogy. Ho hum.

Well, free to think of it what you will, but you haven't actually said why you think it's worthless (whatever "it" may be - the results, the tables, the rankings, all of it?).  There have been a few critical (largely constructive) comments on this thread, and by and large they seem positive, so maybe you read the other comments with some kind of inherent bias.

Fair comment pal. If all these things are on the site then I'm not referring to the site in general. It's the ranking thing that is pointless. We have a league structure for that. It cannot and should not be done on a horizontal basis.

1 hour ago, glensmad said:

Jimbo, if the guy wants to do this as a project and a hobby, and share it on here with other like-minded interested people, then why is there a necessity to discredit his efforts ?

There isn't a necessity. I was giving an opinion in what, both him and I thought was a jocular way. Are you offended by it?

11 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Fair comment pal. If all these things are on the site then I'm not referring to the site in general. It's the ranking thing that is pointless. We have a league structure for that. It cannot and should not be done on a horizontal basis.

Aye, well, some people aren't into rankings - I get that.  There wouldn't be any need for them if the league structure actually reflected the current strength of teams - but it doesn't, due to the way it has been set up.  You can't seriously say that the WoS, EoS, SoS, North Junior, Midlands and North Caledonian are equal strength leagues because they all sit at Tier 6 in the league structure.

But as long as we remember that rankings and league tables are different things, then there should be room for both.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/09/2023 at 09:52, jimbaxters said:

Getting mare and mare pompous. 
Judge, jury and executioner.