U21's v Lithuania

G51

10 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

Genuine question , any prospects for the full team ?

At the moment? Probably not. None of them would be an improvement on what we currently have in the team.

In the next few years? I think it's reasonable to expect Porteous, Patterson, Turnbull and Hornby to get a look. Outside chance for some of the others depending on how they progress.

Ultimately though, this U21 team is coming to the end of a cycle, and the group of youngsters behind them are much more promising. We should be looking to accelerate the process of discarding most of these U21's and bringing the next generation through.

40 minutes ago, G51 said:

At the moment? Probably not. None of them would be an improvement on what we currently have in the team.

In the next few years? I think it's reasonable to expect Porteous, Patterson, Turnbull and Hornby to get a look. Outside chance for some of the others depending on how they progress.

Ultimately though, this U21 team is coming to the end of a cycle, and the group of youngsters behind them are much more promising. We should be looking to accelerate the process of discarding most of these U21's and bringing the next generation through.

Thank you

Who is in the next generation ?

Edited by ewan14

8 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

Thank you

Who is in the next generation ?

Our crop of players between the ages of 16 - 19 are really talented.

There are already some really well known ones (Billy Gilmour being the most notable, but of course he's well beyond the U21's now).

I won't pretend to know the intricacies of each clubs Academy, but I know at Rangers there are extremely high hopes for Nathan Patterson (18), Leon King (16), James Graham (16) - King and Patterson are considered stone-cold locks to break into the first team in the next two years. There is also reasonable optimism that players like Kai Kennedy (19), Dapo Mebude (19), Robbie Ure (17), Alex Lowry (17) will make the cut. Josh McPake (19) bit of a longer shot given how his spell at Dundee went.

In terms of other clubs, Archie Mair (19) looks like he could be promising. Is playing regular football in the Vanarama this year on loan from Norwich. Liam Morrison (17), Hickey (18), , Barry Hepburn (16) have all gotten moves to big clubs recently. Jamie Hamilton (18), Scott Banks (18), Harry Cochrane (19), Kieran Bowie (17), James Scott (19) have all gotten a good run in first teams in Scottish football. Gilmour (19) and Lewis FIorini (18) are Academy prospects at major clubs. Karamoko Dembele (17) would have been one if he'd picked Scotland over England - still time to reverse that decision if he wants to.

I'm sure there will be a lot of other great prospects at other academies that I've missed, those are just the ones that came to me off the top of my head. And ultimately this is about development. How much are players like McCrorie, Ferguson, Campbell, Porteous etc developing in U21 games? What about players like Johnston, who's now 22 and is never going to make it for Scotland? It's all a bit of a waste of time.

42 minutes ago, G51 said:

In terms of other clubs, Archie Mair (19) looks like he could be promising. Is playing regular football in the Vanarama this year on loan from Norwich. Liam Morrison (17), Hickey (18), , Barry Hepburn (16) have all gotten moves to big clubs recently. Jamie Hamilton (18), Scott Banks (18), Harry Cochrane (19), Kieran Bowie (17), James Scott (19) have all gotten a good run in first teams in Scottish football. Gilmour (19) and Lewis FIorini (18) are Academy prospects at major clubs. Karamoko Dembele (17) would have been one if he'd picked Scotland over England - still time to reverse that decision if he wants to.

You can add Stuart McKinstry (17) to that list. He moved from us to Leeds last summer and he's just signed a new 3 year deal with them.

Reece McAlear (18) moved to Norwich at the same time and he was playing for their u23s in the EFL Cup win against Plymouth tonight.
Edited by capt_oats

9 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

You can add Stuart McKinstry (17) to that list. He moved from us to Leeds last summer and he's just signed a new 3 year deal with them.

Reece McAlear (18) moved to Norwich at the same time and he was playing for their u23s in the EFL Cup win against Plymouth tonight.

Aye, there will be loads of prospects I’ve missed. Point is, we’ve a good crop coming through and the current U21’s aren’t developing because of these games as the good ones now play at a higher level than U21 football.

6 hours ago, G51 said:

There are already some really well known ones (Billy Gilmour being the most notable, but of course he's well beyond the U21's now).

I won't pretend to know the intricacies of each clubs Academy, but I know at Rangers there are extremely high hopes for Nathan Patterson (18), Leon King (16), James Graham (16) - King and Patterson are considered stone-cold locks to break into the first team in the next two years. There is also reasonable optimism that players like Kai Kennedy (19), Dapo Mebude (19), Robbie Ure (17), Alex Lowry (17) will make the cut. Josh McPake (19) bit of a longer shot given how his spell at Dundee went.

I'm sure there will be a lot of other great prospects at other academies that I've missed, those are just the ones that came to me off the top of my head. And ultimately this is about development. How much are players like McCrorie, Ferguson, Campbell, Porteous etc developing in U21 games? What about players like Johnston, who's now 22 and is never going to make it for Scotland? It's all a bit of a waste of time.

Cheers