Billy Stark and Scott Gemmill

Old Bing

Just now, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

All the youth teams should be about getting players out of them and up to the next level as fast as humanly possible.  Results are a bonus.

Players that are clearly never young to be good enough to play in the first team should be filler only.  No building a team round them cause they're more physically developed

This exactly, like hickey. He's 18 but he's clearly got big potential, he should have been playing u21 ages ago. Since he was a regular at hearts. Rather than being kept out to accommodate older players with less potential. The fact he hadn't even played u19 is mind boggling. And unexplainable from the management point of view.

But its pointless trying to develop these players playing the kick and rush stuff we are at the moment. Its dinosaur land in our youth teams 🦕 

4 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

All the youth teams should be about getting players out of them and up to the next level as fast as humanly possible.  Results are a bonus.

Players that are clearly never young to be good enough to play in the first team should be filler only.  No building a team round them cause they're more physically developed

I don't think anyone fitted that description in this u21 squad.

Lewis Fiori's cameo yesterday showed the problem with putting players in too early.

18 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I don't think anyone fitted that description in this u21 squad.

Lewis Fiori's cameo yesterday showed the problem with putting players in too early.

I think there's plenty in that squad that will never get near full level and at ages that make their selection baffling tbh.  

Look at the two 22 yo left backs when we've got two top class players not much older in the top squad.  Pointless.  George Johnston - 22 and barely played first team.   Barry Maguire - not a bad player but now never to be seen again at international level I'd put money on.

Of that team, who realistically has a challenge of making it to the senior team?

• Billy Gilmour - Best prospect by a mile
  • Alan Campbell - Third most capped u21 player.  Key player for Motherwell.  Limited opportunity purely because of his position
  • Lewis Ferguson - Aberdeen midfielders don't often get called up until they get transferred... Higher ceiling than Campbell, but same issue with position
  • Fraser Hornby - If he can nail down a starting place in France, and score a few.  Helped by how few strikers we have 
  • David Turnbull - Needs Celtic game time, but a very good chance of getting capped
  • Ross McRorie - Probably the most likely after Gilmour
  • Ross Doohan - Few options in the goalkeeper department under the age of 33.  Him and McRorie are the likely future at this point

McLennan, Mikey Johnston, Ashby, Hickey.  All have a decent chance - Johnston and Hickey especially.

Can't say I fancy the chances of anyone else in the squad at the moment.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

14 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

I think there's plenty in that squad that will never get near full level and at ages that make their selection baffling tbh.  

Look at the two 22 yo left backs when we've got two top class players not much older in the top squad.  Pointless.  George Johnston - 22 and barely played first team.   Barry Maguire - not a bad player but now never to be seen again at international level I'd put money on.

That's every u21 squad for every country. You need the shirt fillers to get the better players too the tournament.

Hickey was pish regularly in the Premiership, he's not a saviour. He might become international standard with 4-6 years of hard work. It's the same for Gilmour.

Just now, Detournement said:

That's every u21 squad for every country. You need the shirt fillers to get the better players too the tournament.

Hickey was pish regularly in the Premiership, he's not a saviour. He might become international standard with 4-6 years of hard work. It's the same for Gilmour.

Gilmour is infinitely closer to the senior team than Hickey.  

4-6 years and Gilmour might be international standard. Are you insane? He has bossed some big games so far for Chelsea. Appreciate he shouldn't be lumped straight in but next September tops for me.
4-6 years [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji1634]

36 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Of that team, who realistically has a challenge of making it to the senior team?

• Billy Gilmour - Best prospect by a mile
  • Alan Campbell - Third most capped u21 player.  Key player for Motherwell.  Limited opportunity purely because of his position
  • Lewis Ferguson - Aberdeen midfielders don't often get called up until they get transferred... Higher ceiling than Campbell, but same issue with position
  • Fraser Hornby - If he can nail down a starting place in France, and score a few.  Helped by how few strikers we have 
  • David Turnbull - Needs Celtic game time, but a very good chance of getting capped
  • Ross McRorie - Probably the most likely after Gilmour
  • Ross Doohan - Few options in the goalkeeper department under the age of 33.  Him and McRorie are the likely future at this point

McLennan, Mikey Johnston, Ashby, Hickey.  All have a decent chance - Johnston and Hickey especially.

Can't say I fancy the chances of anyone else in the squad at the moment.

Have to say I don't think Allan Campbell is particularly likely to make it to the senior squad. He's probably already as good as he's ever going to get, and he isn't good enough.

I'd have the likely candidates as:

• Gilmour - as much of a dead cert as it gets at this level.
  • Hornby - more to do with the weakness in the squad at this position. Has something but needs to learn the mental side of the game, and that only comes with match experience. Needs a lot of games in a short space of time to become a good enough player to be a regular starter.
  • Turnbull - good player, going to be a very good player. Needs to make sure he doesn't get his career fucked by Celtic.
  • Doohan / Robby McCrorie - whichever one of these guys ends up better will be capped. McCrorie has the higher ceiling than Doohan, but needs to be able to put it all together at Premiership level
  • Patterson - spoken about him plenty on here, he's very good and will show that as he gets more games for Rangers going into this period of games. Also helped by the complete lack of ability the main team has here.
  • Fiorini - only 18, breaking through in the Dutch second tier, might be good, might be shit but he's young enough that he could at least be god.
  • Hickey - if he can do well at Bologna, he'll get capped.
  • Johnston - needs to stay injury free at this important stage for his development. He's talented but he isn't there yet, and needs to be playing games to get to the required level. Can't do that if he's constantly injured.
  • Kelly - same position as a lot of these players, he needs games. Has obvious quality but let's see if his recent breakthrough into the County team is sustained. If he doesn't get games this season he's probably never getting to the required level, and it's far from a guarantee already.

Its actually striking going through the squad list and recent call ups as to how many players we had called up that were 21 or older. This team is going to look very, very different for the next campaign.

23 minutes ago, G51 said:

Have to say I don't think Allan Campbell is particularly likely to make it to the senior squad. He's probably already as good as he's ever going to get, and he isn't good enough.

• Hornby - more to do with the weakness in the squad at this position. Has something but needs to learn the mental side of the game, and that only comes with match experience. Needs a lot of games in a short space of time to become a good enough player to be a regular starter.
  • Turnbull - good player, going to be a very good player. Needs to make sure he doesn't get his career fucked by Celtic.
  • Doohan / Robby McCrorie - whichever one of these guys ends up better will be capped. McCrorie has the higher ceiling than Doohan, but needs to be able to put it all together at Premiership level
  • Patterson - spoken about him plenty on here, he's very good and will show that as he gets more games for Rangers going into this period of games. Also helped by the complete lack of ability the main team has here.
  • Fiorini - only 18, breaking through in the Dutch second tier, might be good, might be shit but he's young enough that he could at least be god.
  • Johnston - needs to stay injury free at this important stage for his development. He's talented but he isn't there yet, and needs to be playing games to get to the required level. Can't do that if he's constantly injured.
  • Kelly - same position as a lot of these players, he needs games. Has obvious quality but let's see if his recent breakthrough into the County team is sustained. If he doesn't get games this season he's probably never getting to the required level, and it's far from a guarantee already.

Its actually striking going through the squad list and recent call ups as to how many players we had called up that were 21 or older. This team is going to look very, very different for the next campaign.

Correct hope we ask wee Dembele to play U21 again could do be job with people like Lewis Smith and Billy Gilmour 

Also saw Harry Cocherane went on loan to Montrose once touted as the next big thing

Edited by Tartan Tammy 1297

31 minutes ago, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

Correct hope we ask wee Dembele to play U21 again could do be job with people like Lewis Smith and Billy Gilmour 

Also saw Harry Cocherane went on loan to Montrose once touted as the next big thing

Dembele is a really interesting one. He stood out when he was young because he had pace, strength and power that none of his peers had. What does he look like now when you throw him in against men and his advantages are blunted? Has he developed enough technically that he can thrive? Excited to find out.

3 hours ago, Detournement said:

I disagree entirely on your first point.  Most of the best countries have their elite youngsters at 18-20 in the 21s, where they haven't already been put into the first team.

As for Hickey being 'pish regularly' in the Premier League, absolute nonsense tbh.  Playing in a pish team regularly, certainly.   He's got loads of things to learn and very good players blocking his path in the first team squad (as has Gilmour), but he's certainly more than ready to play u21 internationals

3 hours ago, Detournement said:

Hickey will play for Scotland within 18-21 months tops, Gilmour within 12.  

2 hours ago, G51 said:

Dembele is a really interesting one. He stood out when he was young because he had pace, strength and power that none of his peers had. What does he look like now when you throw him in against men and his advantages are blunted? Has he developed enough technically that he can thrive? Excited to find out.

Jensen Weir been kept out English U18 team to

Davie Weirs boy at Brighton

Might be back to get him in again

I'd say they will have to be playing well regularly at a good level to make the jump. They have to earn it. Both of them still have very young physiques which is why I think it will take a while to fulfill their potential. 

Callum McGregor was superb the other night. I wouldn't write him off yet. 

7 hours ago, G51 said:

Could at least be god! Wow sounds like this kids must be worth keeping an eye on 😉

16 hours ago, G51 said:

This isn’t really true, he's always looked a wee boy. I saw him a few years ago when going over to Amsterdam and there was a celtic youth team on the flight, I assumed he was picked for an older age group as he looked way smaller than the rest but ended up to speaking to a Dad on the flight and that was his actual age group. Think you are getting him mixed up with Feruz maybe as technically Dembele is very good.

Just now, gannonball said:

This isn’t really true, he's always looked a wee boy. I saw him a few years ago when going over to Amsterdam and there was a celtic youth team on the flight, I assumed he was picked for an older age group as he looked way smaller than the rest but ended up to speaking to a Dad on the flight and that was his actual age group. Think you are getting him mixed up with Feruz maybe as technically Dembele is very good.

It is true. He's always been wee but he's always been quicker and stronger than everyone else his age. He has technical ability, but the question is how does that ability look in games where he doesn't have the physical advantage?

Interesting that his contract runs out in six months as well. Surprised at that.