The US Presidential election prediction thread

ICTChris

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

What channel are you watching? ABC are going big on BLM, good stuff but not many election updates.

Yeah, anyone got advice on the best channel to watch? I've plumped for Sky just now but it's not exactly my favourite.

Just now, Ralstonite said:

The best forecast IMHO, is the bookies. I would imagine they will have the latest info. That said, any good websites to check the odds in real time?

Oddschecker but the bookies odds are shite, whoever you think will win.

8 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

The best forecast IMHO, is the bookies. I would imagine they will have the latest info. That said, any good websites to check the odds in real time?

There's no actual evidence to support that theory. The purpose of the bookies is to take as much money off you as possible, not to guess what the result will be. According to the odds the chances of a Trump win are 1 in 3, and there's no conceivable way of drawing that from the evidence. The odds are driven less by the likely outcome than by the money being placed and the odds they think they need to offer to draw in customers and come out ahead.

7 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

The bookies had Remain at 1/4 the night before the referendum

I thought Remain would win but I thought it would be close. One bookie was offering 3/1 and trebling it as a new offer, so I stuck a tenner on. 

3 minutes ago, GordonS said:

There's no actual evidence to support that theory. The purpose of the bookies is to take as much money off you as possible, not to guess what the result will be. According to the odds the chances of a Trump win are 1 in 3, and there's no conceivable way of drawing that from the evidence. The odds are driven less by the likely outcome than by the money being placed and the odds they think they need to offer to draw in customers and come out ahead.

Quite.  Bookies don’t know more than political scientists.  538 is now the industry standard, and I’d imagine most bookies base their odds from that.

3 minutes ago, GordonS said:

That's why I went big on Biden at 4/6. According to 538 it should be more like 1/9.

4 minutes ago, GordonS said:

If that really was the case, surely there would be a huge disparity in the odds - especially in different nations. My understanding is they have analysts who're constantly assessing the info as it comes in.