Ayr United vs Dunfermline Athletic

I thought that was as solid a Dunfermline side as I've seen in a while. Could have snatched it at the end with a couple of late half-chances. Let us off the hook with some pretty poor free kicks as well. I don't think Ayr were terrible though and Moffat probably had the best chance in the game. Both sides seemed to lack a cutting edge up front today.

I hope Stranraer don't knock us out the League Cup (again)!

20 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Comrie would have got forward more than mayo and Martin would have added security that would allowed Thomas to stay higher up the pitch and potentially playing Dow in midfield and having Murray out wide.

I think the main issue causing the lack of chances today was our midfield being too far away from McManus,  A stronger back 4 would allowed them to set themselves higher up.

Josh Edwards was probably the best player on the pitch today and the back four didn’t give Ayr a sniff so unsure what you are looking for to get a ‘stronger back four’.

The reason we didn’t create chances today was that we continually played it into channels for McManus who’d lay it off wide but we’d have no one in the box due to playing one up top and a flat central midfield three. We got a few half decent balls into the box but no one in there to convert so the wide players were certainly not the issue. Crawford being overly cautious basically but take the point and move on. Made for a horrific watch today though. 

31 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

So you're seriously saying we can't carry an attacking threat without our first choice left and right backs?! Or at least our attacking threat is greatly reduced?! 

Absolutely nonsense. We had the ball well up the pitch plenty of times today and failed to create chances. There's a clear disconnect when we get in to the final third, which has been evident in all of our games.

In the second half Thomas was cleared frustrated with it and so started trying to do it all himself.

Edwards is a much more attack minded player than Martin incidentally. Also our back four was perfectly fine today anyway, as it has been in all games we've played so far.

No I’m saying a loss of defenders can effect how you set up and significantly effect the tactics of the side which might effect your attack.

I’m not saying our attack performed as it should with the players available

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

My observation isn't a criticism of the quality of either player. More the roles both are finding themselves in, but especially today. We didn't get in behind often enough today which is where we'll see the best of both players.

Most of our play was in front of a well drilled Dunfermline team. I didn't think our tempo overall or quality in the final third was anywhere near where it needs to be. 

Yes, you're probably right and the bit I've highlighted shouldn't be forgotten as we were playing against a pretty decent Dunfermline side that made things very difficult for us.

Did we play well ? No

Is a draw the worst result in the world ? No

We're still only a few weeks into the season, however it promises to be as tight a league as usual going by what I've witnessed so far.

Hearts are obviously favourites due to their relative quality and strength in depth, however they looked far from unbeatable at Gayfield last week although Arbroath is always a tough place to go, Dundee have looked utter dross despite their big names and I wasn't impressed with Morton or Inverness (although the latter were missing a few against us).

Dunfermline will be strong stuffy and hard to beat, Raith have got off to a flyer and both Alloa and QOS are capable of playing some really good football and beating anyone on their day.

Call me sad, but I really do love this league.

For the first 15 minutes, the stream was appalling. They restarted it and it improved considerably for a while, then late in the second half it was very poor again.

It is hard to understand why we cannot stream 1080p at 60 frames per second. If they could just get that technical aspect right it would make such a difference. I agree with those who have said that they have had long enough to sort that out. I thought the cameraman (or woman) did OK given a  very poor position and a camera that clearly struggled in poor light. They really need to get another couple of cameras as well. I can understand why some people would be asking for refunds - while I have no issue with the quality of the camera work, there is no excuse for basic technical issues.

As for the game itself, a draw was a fair result. We were poor going forward but defensively looked a lot more solid than last week. Dunfermline are clearly far stronger than last season and will do well. I think Cameron should have been brought on sooner - Anderson was frustrated again this week.

Edited by rgreig

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

So you're seriously saying we can't carry an attacking threat without our first choice left and right backs?! Or at least our attacking threat is greatly reduced?! 

Absolutely nonsense. We had the ball well up the pitch plenty of times today and failed to create chances. There's a clear disconnect when we get in to the final third, which has been evident in all of our games.

In the second half Thomas was cleared frustrated with it and so started trying to do it all himself.

Edwards is a much more attack minded player than Martin incidentally. Also our back four was perfectly fine today anyway, as it has been in all games we've played so far.

Is Edwards much more attack minded? His distribution isn't as good, he's not likely to get much on the overlap and it's not like he's slinging crosses into the box, Martin is better than him at pretty much everything. 

We were missing our first choice right hand side with Dow and Comrie, which is bound to upset the team. I'm not saying we can't get a result, but having 3 key players, and probably our best and most consistent players from last year not avaliable/match fit, and then getting a draw isn't bad, far from it. 

27 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Is Edwards much more attack minded? His distribution isn't as good, he's not likely to get much on the overlap and it's not like he's slinging crosses into the box, Martin is better than him at pretty much everything. 

We were missing our first choice right hand side with Dow and Comrie, which is bound to upset the team. I'm not saying we can't get a result, but having 3 key players, and probably our best and most consistent players from last year not avaliable/match fit, and then getting a draw isn't bad, far from it. 

Dow came on and it didn't make a difference. Think we could have had every single player in the squad fit today and it wouldn't have made a difference. We just weren't at it today.

1 hour ago, Robbo63 said:

His interview shows he was not happy with the performance 

He echo'd the most alarming part of today, our main strength is our attacking power and today we had no attacking power. 

in the last two weeks we have been in a winning position, changed the formation to be more "defensive" or negative, depending on your perspective to consolidate a result and shat the bed. 

Today, the formation wasn't working from the start (at least from  the viewable footage) and perhaps a tweak was required mid-game to change things. Had the change been made and we'd lost, it would have been seen as another capitulation, on the balance of things, he probably did the right thing today. 

Aye, pretty much agree with the gaffer. He's definitely not happy with that performance. At one point I thought he said "feed the Moff" but I must have been hearing things.

Indeed, not the first time we've seen him like that. At least he's wise enough to not throw the players under the bus in his internal post match seethe.  the laptop has got to  perform better though.

3 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Comrie would have got forward more than mayo and Martin would have added security that would allowed Thomas to stay higher up the pitch and potentially playing Dow in midfield and having Murray out wide.

I think the main issue causing the lack of chances today was our midfield being too far away from McManus,  A stronger back 4 would allowed them to set themselves higher up.

Wait, did Lewis Mayo play full back today?!

He's never ever played there for the Rangers development team. When I saw him in the lineup I just assumed he was at CB.

Edited by G51

1 minute ago, G51 said:

Wait, did Lewis Mayo play full back today?!

He's never ever played there for the Rangers development team. When I saw him in the lineup I just assumed he was at CB.

Aye.   Pre-match Crawford seemed comfortable with him playing there,  he seemed to suggest it was a position he had played before.

He did a decent job defensively but I only really remember him getting forward once.  

1 minute ago, parsforlife said:

Aye.   Pre-match Crawford seemed comfortable with him playing there,  he seemed to suggest it was a position he had played before.

He did a decent job defensively but I only really remember him getting forward once.  

He's played as a holding mid sometimes, but he's definitely a centre back.

He's tidy enough at bringing the ball out of defence, but I'm pretty surprised at that tbh. He's never going to be an attacking full back, it's not his game.

9 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

A) I have no idea how someone found 5 minutes of highlights

B). The quality of video and filming is far better than the stream(tho still filmed from a strange position).  Why the difference?

It's filmed from a strange position because the usual spot is being used by the streaming camera (as far as i know)

We actually showed more moments of danger going forward than i thought at the time of the game. Obviously got lost through the dark grainy picture.