Israel v Scotland - 18 / 11 / 2020

9 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

To be honest I'd be raging, 4 points ahead with 2 games left and we f**k it up.
Unacceptable

i'd be the same if we never qualified for the Euros, im not saying i would brush it off easily but I think i'd be less ragin than usual

Just now, ewan14 said:

Hilarious

Who will ?

Can we clone Lyndon ?

For me personally, unless griffiths manages to get in shape fast id start Shankland. Bring Griffiths off the bench. Or Nisbet to start in future, if he's the one in form. 

Shanklands already looked a better bet than mcburnie in his small minutes for us. 

But let's say we start Shankland or Nisbet and they play really really bad. We wouldn't be losing anything, because we know for a fact that mcburnie will be really really bad.

i'd be the same if we never qualified for the Euros, im not saying i would brush it off easily but I think i'd be less ragin than usual
I know what your saying. I'd have taken the Euros over Nations league win 100% but as we got Euros first I'd now be very disappointed. Imagine if we had fucked it all up [emoji33]

33 minutes ago, DanMc99 said:

I'm not going to criticise clarke but I did think it was too many changes , to be fair , if mcburnie , armstrong or griffiths take at least one of their chances we wouldnt need to mention it

Problem is with the Nations League replacing friendlies we have minimal opportunities to experiment with lineups.

I expect we will have a similar strength team to Thursday in this one.

9 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Problem is with the Nations League replacing friendlies we have minimal opportunities to experiment with lineups.

I expect we will have a similar strength team to Thursday in this one.

im hoping we have our back 5 from thursday back.

as much as we are hearing from reactionary fans about dropping robertson because of KT's performance, I actually think both robertson and tierney were  very good defensively on thursday and it's slipped under the radar due to other heroic performances. it finally looked like both our star men had their roles down to a tee, defensively especially.

could say the same for O'Donnell and Mctominay too

5 minutes ago, Andrew Driver said:

Today was the day to play the strongest side.  If we had we'd have won the group.  

Israel are a far better team than Slovakia.   This will come back to haunt us.  

Who should have started today that would have been the difference between losing and winning?

As I said I think Israel away will be tough but worth bearing in mind the FIFA rankings. 

Of the 4 sides Slovakia are actually ranked highest at 32 whilst we r at 45 and Czech R are 46. 

Israel are down in 84 place !

The rankings are a bit flawed imho but 52 places between Slovakia and Israel should be quite telling. 

So although Slovakia are away in Czech Republic they stand as much of a chance of beating or drawing as we do in Israel which may help us this midweek. 

Edited by welldaft

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Now that's just not true. I'm not second guessing Clarke's selection, and I'm not disputing the team we picked played well and was the better side over the piece (not sure we were "by far" the better side but whatever).

But it wasn't our best eleven and that's a fact. Dykes was suspended and Robertson injured but the other 6 changes he made were largely by choice. Not saying it made any odds but he didn't have to change the keeper for instance. I know we played 120 hard minutes on Thursday but he made far more changes to a first eleven than he absolutely needed to make. How many changes did Slovakia make from their team that got through on Thursday?

I didn't say it was our best eleven, I said that we went all out to win, which we clearly did. The team which we put out today was strong enough to win, and when you account for the fitness levels of the guys who went the distance on Thursday you could argue that we gave ourselves a better chance of winning by making the changes. A 100% fit Armstrong is going to be better than an 80% McGregor, likewise Palmer for O'Donnell and so on.

Putting Gordon in for Marshall had zero impact on the result today - they had one major chance and neither keeper would have saved it.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I didn't say it was our best eleven, I said that we went all out to win, which we clearly did. The team which we put out today was strong enough to win, and when you account for the fitness levels of the guys who went the distance on Thursday you could argue that we gave ourselves a better chance of winning by making the changes. A 100% fit Armstrong is going to be better than an 80% McGregor, likewise Palmer for O'Donnell and so on.

Putting Gordon in for Marshall had zero impact on the result today - they had one major chance and neither keeper would have saved it.

Yes, I agree with all this largely. As I said, I'm not second guessing Clarke's line up. That wasn't the point being made though. It WASN'T our best eleven and it's simply not true we did all we could to win it. Semantics I know but that was the original point made that you responded to. You may or may not have a point about the 100% / 80% outfield thing but he clearly played what he considered a lesser goalkeeper with no need to do so. That it would have made zero impact isn't the point. He didn't play our best possible team in it.

Since neither you nor anyone else answered about Slovakia incidentally I looked it up myself. They played the same night and also played 120 minutes (without the penalties). They won and celebrated too and they traveled further. Slovakia made 4 changes to their starting line up, one of which was enforced.

If we ultimately win the group it will have been a perfectly reasonable choice. If we don't there will always be that doubt that it was the wrong decision. Such is football management. Ultimately if you'd offered me one win this week then we won that one that mattered. If he felt to get us over that line he needed to make all those changes 3 days later so be it.

Edited by Skyline Drifter