Conquering Europe

oneteaminglasgow

And as we enter a new century, let's have a look at how the Scottish leagues are going...

VyILr16.png wWiFu5n.png

pRoIEWU.png 6WBu2Wn.png

A lot more highland representation with Formartine and Buckie in there too, while East Fife seem to be having a great time of it. At the other end, Annan, Brechin, Cowdenbeath and Kelty Hearts have all dropped out the SPFL without returning since the save started.

In the cups, no-one outside the old firm or the Edinburgh clubs have managed to win one since Falkirk lifted the Scottish Cup in 2082. 

Thistle have, predictably, won zero major honours since the save began. 

January 2100

eaIlM42.png

First off, wee bit of transfer business this month and I shipped Arkadiy Stepankov out on loan. He's complaining about game time, his contract runs out at the end of the season and I can't be bothered dealing with him anymore so off he goes.

That did mean I needed another centre half, so I splashed the cash on Patrick Zambie. He's now the best centre half in my squad, and really solid defensively. He's 32 though, so might start to totally collapse as a player in the not-too-distant future, but will just need to hope he holds out for a couple of seasons.

Spoiler

SNGkXof.png

ut8vFHM.png

The month started well enough with good wins at home to Kesla and Qabala. We were unfortunate not to beat Sabail, and got ourselves a cup semi final booked in as well.

However, that Neftci game just went wrong. Didn't turn up at all, and they took their chances to be comfortable winners. A shambolic performance from us.

L4GFb3P.png

But, we're well on course for a top three finish and another bout of European football next season, so that's the main thing.

Qarabag will be champions, but we're getting closer to them every season.

A monumental effort to keep this going, fair play! As always, it takes a while to catch up, but it's a really enjoyable read working through it.  Seems like there's been a few really enjoyable ones in the last few teams you've managed, the Romanian one in particular.

You kind of answered this a while back, but which do you prefer - the quick titles that allow you to move on before you've really settled, or the ones like this current Azeri one where it takes a while to build and challenge?

I have no idea how you have the stamina for so many squad overhauls, the transfer market does my head in sometimes!

2 hours ago, DG.Roma said:

A monumental effort to keep this going, fair play! As always, it takes a while to catch up, but it's a really enjoyable read working through it.  Seems like there's been a few really enjoyable ones in the last few teams you've managed, the Romanian one in particular.

You kind of answered this a while back, but which do you prefer - the quick titles that allow you to move on before you've really settled, or the ones like this current Azeri one where it takes a while to build and challenge?

I have no idea how you have the stamina for so many squad overhauls, the transfer market does my head in sometimes!

A bit of variety is nice, but I always think the ones where I’ve built the team over several seasons and finally get over the line are more satisfying, and basically that I’ve earned the title a bit more.

I’m still enjoying the save and I’ve been at it for two and a bit years now so I think I might as well see it through. Romania was an enjoyable one, although my favourite spells have been Georgia and Bosnia. Worst was Gibraltar.

And I quite like the transfer stuff. Finding the guy who I think will be the missing piece to my team is one of the things I enjoy the most about the game, so doesn’t bother me too much. 

February 2100

Shp1YAX.png

Standard fare for us now - comfortable against the lower sides, but beaten pretty comfortably by Qarabag.

We're into another cup final though, which is nice. Playing Neftci this time, but that should all but guarantee our european qualification.

luMwzOO.png

Thirteen points ahead of fourth, with six games left. We should be absolutely fine for third at least. 

March 2100

eyuvvyg.png

Two performances where things didn't quite click for us, but we got the two victories and that's what ultimately matters here. Mildly annoys me that I haven't thumped Kesla at any point this season despite them being abysmal, but oh well.

N33voXd.png

xVqlKe2.png

The main thing is that it's job done as far as I'm concerned - we're in the top three again and will be playing European football again.

The only difference between second and third is prize money, I'll still be entering the First Qualifying round of the conference league, but it would be nice to get second place. I still have Neftci to play as well.

And a cup final coming up too.

April 2100

sVhuJlE.png

We continued to not play very well in either of these games, getting a bit fortunate against Sabail, and exactly what we deserved against Qabala. We still have the cup final to come this month, so will need to massively up our performance levels for that if we've any chance.

BXhHA5L.png

That loss to Qabala coupled with Neftci beating Qarabag looks to have confined us to third place again. Oh well.

I'd still say it's been another good season. 

Azeri Cup Final - April 2100

Spoiler

FjzmuaQ.png

We started well, scored a goal and then completely fell apart. We've been largely shite for 2 months now, so I'm not all that surprised that we didn't turn up for this, but it's still frustrating.

At least we've got European football tied up already.

May 2100

f1wD5ZL.png

Our season ends with a bit of a whimper, although we did play very well against Qarabag in that final game. 

ZeXTC7z.png

Job done again, but there's still a bit of a chasm to the teams above me.

I only lost once against anyone other than Neftci or Qarabag though, so that's a positive. We're pretty comfortably the third best side in Azerbaijan, I just need to find a way to make that jump.

Europa Conference League - First Qualifying Round - July 2100

Spoiler

RGnBETw.png

I said I wasn't sure if they'd be good, and it seems that "no really" is the answer to that dilemma. We were pretty far ahead of them here, the last minute third goal was also great for that little bit of extra comfort in the home leg.

I think we should win that anyway, but even a 2-0 loss will be fine.

Spoiler

GwOoCls.png

As I said, there we go. Won both legs and we're into the next round with the minimum of fuss.

3P0MI5y.png

Ukrainian opposition await. We managed to get a draw against Dynamo Kyiv 2 seasons ago, so who knows what will happen. We'll probably lose.

Europa Conference League - Second Qualifying Round - July 2100

Spoiler

eA7Bjsm.png

We were unfortunate not to win this game, but a draw still gives us a small hope of getting through.

That said, I do think this was a case of Vorskla having an off-day, and that they are actually a far better side than we are, so we'll need to wait and see what happens. 

Spoiler

IXMPpjy.png

It took us 23 seconds to open the scoring, and for almost 5 beautiful minutes we were in the lead.

However, as I predicted, they are a better side than us, and probably should've won by a few more goals if they were more clinical. Doesn't matter in the end though, and we're out of Europe at the same stage again.

Transfers 2100

0jopw1g.png

7YlG3TM.png

Clearing out of some of the shite from my squad, which is nice. A load of loans out as well, mostly younger payers and then my fourth choice keeper who fancies actually playing some games - fair enough. Nothing in there that I'm disappointed about.

g0eT5lx.png

rwym7W0.png

And there's the incoming players. Because I've got so many foreign players in my squad, I'm a bit more limited in what I can do, but here we go.

Irakli Chaladze is the one foreign player I've brought in, and looks like he could be a game changer for me. Predominantly a central midfielder. he's sensational (by the standards of this level), with no real weaknesses to his game. He'll be the first name on my teamsheet for seasons to come, I think.

Spoiler

G3klRwt.png

Musa Huseynov is my new number one keeper. He's slightly better than my current option, but he's also a good bit younger with a lot more potential for improvement. Hopefully he fulfills it.

Spoiler

W7SVL2K.png

Fuad Rzayev is a centre half, and he's not brilliant but I needed someone Azeri and young to take a spot in my squad. He should be able to do a job when called upon though, and will get better.

Spoiler

B7aQlrv.png

Faiq Orucov is here because I realised fairly late into the window that I only had one player capable of playing left wing, and needed someone to come in if he got injured or suspended. He's back up. He also picked up a 4-5 month injury 8 minutes into his debut, so that's wonderful.

Spoiler

MTqa38q.png

Mahir Rehimli is another one who can play a number of positions, and he's a good player in all of them. Haven't quite decided what I'll do with him, but pleasing to have him in the squad.

Spoiler

bd4NGIV.png

September 2100

Entkbq4.png

A month on the road for us, and I'm very, very pleased with how it went. We were second best against Neftci, but held out for a point. Both Sumqayit and Qabala took the lead against us, with Sumqayit going 2-0 up, but in the second half of both games we absolutely blew them away and helped ourselves to a load of goals. Lovely stuff.

28Qw9Sx.png

And with that, we top the table.

Spain

WAdLOCs.png

Not the start I was ideally looking for, but we'll get better - hopefully,

F73Ajip.png

The FA don't care about this competition, but I'd still want to top the group and go to the finals.

October 2100

dgBNYZW.png

Month started with dishing out an absolute pumping to Sabail. Zoidze got a hattrick after coming on in the 51st minute, which is a good effort. He's dropped down the pecking order a bit with new arrivals, but still good that he can be relied on for goals when needed.

Easy in the cup, but a real disappointment against Qarabag. We played very well, and deserved a draw at the very, very least but that's what happens if you dont defend set pieces properly in the last minute.

We also did well against Neftci, and while they did miss a few decent opportunities I think we were good value for a point.

74HrPEQ.png

The league already as the look that us and the other two usual contenders will be far better than everyone else, so we'll just need to see how it goes. Sooner or later Qarabag are going to have a poor season, and I'll need to be there to take advantage.

Spain

sNdmQvh.png

That's more like it, although we made it hard for ourselves against Austria. 

Y1KwDWk.png

We face Ukraine and then Wales, both away, in our final group games. I have a feeling that we'll need to win in Cardiff, but that should be doable for us. 

November 2100

pZO3QVI.png

That game against Sabah would get football stopped. Atrocious.

The next three were a bit better - we really should've beaten Bakili in normal time, but got through anyway, and a good performance in the Qabala game too.

mq9NsQ0.png

We seem to play before Qarabag every weekend, so we go top temporarily every week before being clawed back. Neftci have dropped out a wee bit - they just can't kill games off.

Spain

WIE9Dt0.png

Straightforward, if unconvincing, against Ukraine.

We were shite in the first half against Wales and went in 2-0 down (including the goal in the spoiler after 4 minutes, which was admittedly funny). Second half was much better, and we deservedly won in the end.

Spoiler

a6ed05089071b847d60277986e821dad.gif

5YzTce5.png

And we head to the semi finals.

oVcBTtI.png