Conquering Europe

oneteaminglasgow

On 03/11/2021 at 13:25, The Moonster said:

When I saw you take the Lithuania job and get drawn against Scotland I thought "if the game is realistic you'll be guaranteed 3 points at home there". Even Sports Interactive ken that Scotland shite the bed in these places. 

Those Sarajevo b*****ds look a tough nut to crack. 

Aye, it was the kind of game where you'd expect a guy like Barry Bannan to miss a fucking sitter as we throw away qualification.

Sarajevo seem to be far better than everyone in the league, unfortunately. Looks like another case of waiting for them to slip up a bit and taking my chance, a la Moldova and Wales.

10 hours ago, DG.Roma said:

Not checked in here for months so it's taken a while to get caught up, thoroughly entertaining and intriguing reading as always. I love the wee bit of background on each new bunch of diddies you take over!

Absolutely delighted that you're going to continue this and not just abandon it for the new game. Long live One Team, the completely inaccurately named nomadic World Cup Winner - totally baffling Germany offered you the job, what a great wee side project!

Glad you're enjoying it - I was puzzled as well, can't imagine the reaction if Germany headhunted the Latvia manager in real life, but I'll take it.

December 2073

r3X4Ivb.png

Meh, a decent month with another excellent European night thrown in there, but we scored an 89th minute own goal against Siroki Brijeg which has pissed me off quite a lot to be honest.

8SGKMPY.png

As I say, I think the league's gone already. Just looking to make sure I secure a top three spot and secure European Qualification next season.

BOVJdat.png

Because this season's competition has gone swimmingly.

R61MHEf.png

By topping the group, we go straight through to the last 16. Wonderful.

It's the winter break now, and we're back in action in February. 

January 2074

JDTtv44.png

I let both my second and third choice goalkeepers leave, which was an error in hindsight, and I also punted a boy out on loan as he could use the game time.

8i1K5nn.png

But incoming were some very decent players.

Pat Wilson has been here on loan for the last year, so I made that permanent which nice.

Darijan Vesic is a striker who I'm hoping will get plenty of goals. He's fucking rapid, and a good finisher with a bit of flair too. I'm pleased with him, and he'll be my first choice striker now.

Spoiler

TmuR2oZ.png

Nikola Masic is now my back up goalkeeper. He's solid enough, but that's it.

Spoiler

b24MrgN.png

February 2074

45NrwEr.png

Five games, five wins, one conceded and nine scored. I'll certainly take that. 

Only game here that caused any concern was at home to fourth placed Zrinjski, where we fell behind, but we took the lead within five minutes of their goal so was all good in the end. Still the second leg of the cup quarter final to go, but we're in a decent position there.

g9FH4fN.png

We've made up another two points on Sarajevo, and are now 11 behind. The problem is that there's 11 games left, and even if we beat them in our only remaining head to head, we'll need them to drop as many points in 10 games as they've done in 22, while we take maximum points.

Probably no going to happen. 

Europa Conference League - Second Knockout Round First Leg - March 2074

And so we head to Rome. I'm not holding out much hope, really all I'm wanting is that we give ourselves a faint glimmer of hope in the home leg, but even that may be beyond us given who we're up against. Realistically, they could take any of my best players whenever they fancy, and they'd probably struggle for a game.

Still, we'll see how it goes.

Spoiler

8fupakc.png

Nah, we're heading out.

Not much to say, they're just a much better team than we are, as you'd expect. I do feel a wee bit hard done by having to play them when there's teams like Linfield and Fylkir kicking about in the draw, but oh well. 

Europa Conference League - Second Knockout Round Second Leg - March 2074

Spoiler

s6Kn01N.png

Obviously it isn't enough, but I think we can be proud of that.

We had a third goal disallowed for offside (correctly) which could have made it really interesting, but as I said after the first leg, Lazio are a much better side than we are and going out against them is fair enough really. A shame that the European adventure is over, but what can you do.

March 2074

byGDAVQ.png

A frustrating month, I think is the best way to sum it up.

On the positive side, we made it to the semi final of the cup, and beat Sarajevo for their first loss of the league season. Vesic' hatrick justifying his price ta already, imo.

On the negative, that means nothing if we can't follow it up, and two nil nils in a row isn't how I wanted to follow it up. Irritating.

1IihqdH.png

League's definitely gone - all about securing second place now.

Lithuania

jqwzTAa.png

A couple of very decent draws against good opposition, and some useful games for us as it allowed me to chuck a few new players in, including a 15 year old striker who looks useful.

Cesnauskis, my main forward up to now, is retiring before the next game so it was good he got a goal in his send off match as well. Always nice to see.

April 2074

joDuB7P.png

A better month. We got a scare in the cup semi with the first leg loss, but brought it back and the shootout went our way.

Not conceded any goals in the league, and the league's gone so I've thrown in some younger players. Well, I've thrown in Dusan Krstic who looks very good, and he's done ok, so that's nice.

3oCVraV.png

Aye, the title's done and we're secured in second place, so thank f**k we have the cup final and it's not just going through the motions in the final months. 

Bosnian Cup Final - 2074

Another year, another cup final. We're playing Borac Banja Luka, our fiercest rivals from just over an hour away. 

Spoiler

19Cz0JK.png

A tough game, we had a goal disallowed and they came close a couple of times, but it'll all go to our home game. We've not lost a single home match in my entire tenure, so I'd like to think that won't start here.

Spoiler

xHtaPeq.png

Thank f**k for that. They started really well, and then the red card changed everything and we were in complete control. We only managed the one goal though, which had me on edge throughout, but we were never really in any danger.

nmW2xn9.png

wZF0Rnm.png

Magic.

May 2074

BGAFbxx.png

Rested a load of guys against Zrinjski, and they're good enough that I can't get away with that so fair enough.

Won my final two league games of the season, and was also giving some younger players a bit of experience, so always good to see them do well. As I said, the season was basically over as we were confirmed in second place before this month started.

B5zMOal.png

Second place and a cup win, plus a good run in Europe is a decent season in my book. Slightly better points total this year as well. 

Sarajevo are a really good team though, so we'll need to keep improving.