Motherwell v Aberdeen

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, Ron Aldo said:

It kind of sums up our team when our usually rotten defence manages to keep a clean sheet but then our equally rotten strikers fail to capitalise.

Probably because your equally rotten strikers were parked back on your 18 yard box for 86 mins. 

Draws mean f**k all. Already shaping up to draw 10+ games.

McInnes and Cormack always bang on about 70+ points. In the seasons we've managed to get 70+ points, I think the most number of draws has been 6.

Can't question us defensively, but we just never look convincing going forward. Definitely need a change of shape for Saturday. 

Would be happy if the only player we brought in during January is someone who can take a set piece. Absolutely woeful set pieces all season. 

7 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

We should of scored the cutback to Polworth, instead he hits it right at Considine. Aberdeen had plenty of the ball, can’t remember you doing anything other than useless crosses.

Should have scored?

On that basis, every time you get in the box it’s more than likely a goal. Calm down lad.

Should have scored?
On that basis, every time you get in the box it’s more than likely a goal. Calm down lad.

Yes how foolish of me to think a football player has the ability to put the ball in from 18 yards out [emoji42]

22 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I'm not sure I'm on board with the Aberdeen fans saying they deserved to win that. I don't remember either keeper making a save. 

I don't think anyone's said that (although I can't be arsed to check). I think most folk have implied, or downright stated, that Motherwell were happy from the first minute with a draw, and that's what they got.

31 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I mean we look like we couldn't score in a brothel, but also we didn't do anything mental at the back to give away a goal.

giphy.gif

Didn't lose ✅
1st clean sheet for Jordan Archer ✅
Unbeaten against Aberdeen this season with Ricki Lamie in our defence ✅ 

I'm quite the ray of sunshine right now.

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

I don't think anyone's said that (although I can't be arsed to check). I think most folk have implied, or downright stated, that Motherwell were happy from the first minute with a draw, and that's what they got.

Aberdeen didn’t go baws oot for the win in the second half, I suspect Derek was happy with a draw.

I’m going to bang the drum again for how much we miss Watkins and Wright. 

when they’re in the team, the 3-4-3 is much more dynamic. The front 3 play close to each other, with hedges and Wright picking up pockets of space centrally and linking with Watkins, who is sharp and can play one touch football. 

The WB’s provide the width but when crosses come in the opposition defence is disrupted by the movement of the front 3 and there’s a higher chance of success. 

right now the striker seems isolated and it’s like we just have 4 attacking players aiming crosses at one guy in the box. The delivery is poor but even if it’s not the likelihood of success is pretty slim. 

we saw against killie that hedges wants to be central, his goal and the chance cosgrove misses are exactly where he wants to be. 

mclennan, Kennedy, main, cosgrove, even occasionally Hayes seem to be limited in terms of executing this shape. 

The crossing from every single player.

Hayes was always was always so reliable with his deliverys but even he failed to get past the first man on all but one or two occasions.

Main was done from about 70 mins onwards after a power of running and good target man work. Needed subbed sooner.

Massive improvement from Cosgrove this week when he came on. Seemed almost interested in it.

Great performance from the defence. Hoban a class above.

The midfield two unusually quite. McCrorie been quiet for a few weeks now, not being the driving force he was in his first couple of months.

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Motherwell are fucking dreadful. You'd be better getting relegated and then playing against Alloa and Arbroath than embarrassing the top league with shit like that. 

Sadly, after 30 minutes we lost the will to live and effectively gave up. Like everyone watching that. 

I'm e-mailing Motherwell to get my 12 quid back. 

At least we know we are fuckin dreadful. You deluded fuckers think you are Liverpool. 
Aberdeen have 3 times our budget yet keep falling short against us for the last few seasons. 
4 times we have beaten you 3-0. 
I am emailing Motherwell and telling them to charge you twice for being a entitled muppet. 

34 minutes ago, ropy said:

Aberdeen didn’t go baws oot for the win in the second half, I suspect Derek was happy with a draw.

Our two substitutions were to bring on two strikers...

...but anyone going baws out against a team clearly set up for a counter attack, at home, is "How not to manage in the 'SPL' 101".

We can't feel aggrieved for not winning. Like wise, had we won, we absolutely would have deserved it. Had we conceeded on the counter by pushing forward too much, it absolutely would have been our own fault. What we needed was better quality from the wide areas. Fully agree with @Dons_1988 above however. The movement of Watkins and Wright is very much missed.

Edited by Illgresi

I’m going to bang the drum again for how much we miss Watkins and Wright. 
when they’re in the team, the 3-4-3 is much more dynamic. The front 3 play close to each other, with hedges and Wright picking up pockets of space centrally and linking with Watkins, who is sharp and can play one touch football. 
The WB’s provide the width but when crosses come in the opposition defence is disrupted by the movement of the front 3 and there’s a higher chance of success. 
right now the striker seems isolated and it’s like we just have 4 attacking players aiming crosses at one guy in the box. The delivery is poor but even if it’s not the likelihood of success is pretty slim. 
we saw against killie that hedges wants to be central, his goal and the chance cosgrove misses are exactly where he wants to be. 
mclennan, Kennedy, main, cosgrove, even occasionally Hayes seem to be limited in terms of executing this shape. 

Wonder why McGinn is never quoted to replace either Watkins or Wright? He has been a pivotal player, pretty much first choice during his time with us, guess he must be past it

5 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Wonder why McGinn is never quoted to replace either Watkins or Wright? He has been a pivotal player, pretty much first choice during his time with us, guess he must be past it

To be fair, even at his peak, McGinn was above average to good in 70% of games, and outstanding in the rest. He was a pivotal part of our 2016ish era team purely because he was a possible threat. Whether he played well in a game or not, he always drew attention away from the other threats. Now, he simply doesn't pose that same consistent problem for the opposition, albeit he's still more than capable of the odd moment of magic.

Edited by Illgresi

13 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Our two substitutions were to bring on two strikers...

...but anyone going baws out against a team clearly set up for a counter attack, at home, is "How not to manage in the 'SPL' 101".

We can't feel aggrieved for not winning. Like wise, had we won, we absolutely would have deserved it. Had we conceeded on the counter by pushing forward too much, it absolutely would have been our own fault. What we needed was better quality from the wide areas. Fully agree with @Dons_1988 above however. The movement of Watkins and Wright is very much missed.

Did Hayes not used to be a winger?  I was expecting to be attacked down the flanks