Week 16

lichtie23

1 minute ago, Boo Khaki said:

This is essentially exactly what happened today. Mayfield fumbles, Hunt recovers, play is over when he tries to advance it 'forwards'.

It's not what happens because the ball was never fumbled forwards.

We're going in circles here. I still think it's a terrible rule, but ultimately the Browns destiny is still in their own hands. Win and in.

4 minutes ago, jagfox BLM said:

So do the Jags take Lawrence or is that a stupid question?

No reason not to unless Lawrence suffers an injury between now and then, or some other team offers them a ridiculous bounty for the pick. They need a QB, and there's not even a Cap-related reason to debate taking QB's #1 overall any more, in fact, it's one of the better starting blocks to build a winning team now because you get 5 years of team control relatively cheaply.

Yes, because why, in a scenario when the game is not on the line, and you are not about to lose anyway, would you deliberately 'fumble' the ball and attempt to bat or kick it forwards, when you can just call a conventional play and attempt to advance the ball with a far lower risk of turning it over?
It's a rule intended purely to prevent shithousery in do-or-die situations, and to that end, it works
I understand that. So do it throughout the game. Tell me another sport where rules change depending on the situation of the game.

No reason not to unless Lawrence suffers an injury between now and then, or some other team offers them a ridiculous bounty for the pick. They need a QB, and there's not even a Cap-related reason to debate taking QB's #1 overall any more, in fact, it's one of the better starting blocks to build a winning team now because you get 5 years of team control relatively cheaply.

Who else needs a QB? The a jags could get a bounty of picks if they fancy trading the top pick away.

6 minutes ago, Gogs Grog said:
13 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:
Yes, because why, in a scenario when the game is not on the line, and you are not about to lose anyway, would you deliberately 'fumble' the ball and attempt to bat or kick it forwards, when you can just call a conventional play and attempt to advance the ball with a far lower risk of turning it over?
It's a rule intended purely to prevent shithousery in do-or-die situations, and to that end, it works

I understand that. So do it throughout the game. Tell me another sport where rules change depending on the situation of the game.

Football, when Rangers or Celtic are losing.

Just now, Gogs Grog said:
8 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I'm not sure why rules in other sports are in any way relevant to a circumstance particular to NFL football,  and again, there's no need to apply it throughout the game because you'd have to be a complete moron to attempt to abuse it outside of a do-or-die situation near the end of the half/game, due to the fact there are easier, more efficient and productive means to move the ball.

8 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Who else needs a QB? The a jags could get a bounty of picks if they fancy trading the top pick away.

A couple of teams, but I honestly can't see it happening. Teams have tried to shop high picks a lot the last couple of years without success. Lawrence looks like he could be an absolute elite NFL QB if he pans out, but even then I don't think there will be anyone willing to sell the farm to trade up and get him. Jags might be able to get a swap deal that nets them an extra 1st next year or something if there's a QB they like later in the draft, but I think the days of teams giving away entire drafts and/or 2-3 1sts are over, because high picks are such a vital and cheap part of building a decent roster, thanks to the latest iteration of the cap rules and rookie contracts.

I'm not sure why rules in other sports are in any way relevant to a circumstance particular to NFL football,  and again, there's no need to apply it throughout the game because you'd have to be a complete moron to attempt to abuse it outside of a do-or-die situation near the end of the half/game, due to the fact there are easier, more efficient and productive means to move the ball.
It's clear to me it wasn't an intentional attempt to cheat the rules. The Browns shouldn't be in that position to the jets but that's the browns I guess and relying on calls.
It doesn't sit right for me that's all.

1 minute ago, Gogs Grog said:

It's clear to me it wasn't an intentional attempt to cheat the rules. The Browns shouldn't be in that position to the jets but that's the browns I guess and relying on calls.
It doesn't sit right for me that's all.

Yup, as I said to begin with, it sucks for the Browns because it's clearly not an attempt to cheat, but the rules are the rules, they're the same for everyone, so it'll be another team falling victim to it next, but it does do what it's intended to do.

17 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

Panthers charging down the field comes to an end with Chase Young's second strip sack - recovered by the man himself.   Panthers still lead 20-3.  

He's by far your best player so maybe they should just name the whole team after him.  Washington Young Team has a nice ring to it.