Democracy Doesn't Work

3 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

So it gets mentioned a lot by serious losers.

It was one of the main issues during John Major's government.  Eurosceptics were emboldened after with the government at the time only having a majority of 18 suffered a defeat on the second reading.

Edited by strichener

5 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

So obviously an election winning issue. 😕

Regardless of election outcomes, it is ludicrously stupid to claim that Europe only became a political issue in the last five years.

Here is text from the Labour manifesto in 1997

There are only three options for Britain in Europe. The first is to come out. The second is to stay in, but on the sidelines. The third is to stay in, but in a leading role.

An increasing number of Conservatives, overtly or covertly, favour the first. But withdrawal would be disastrous for Britain. It would put millions of jobs at risk. It would dry up inward investment. It would destroy our clout in international trade negotiations. It would relegate Britain from the premier division of nations.

Edited by strichener

Maybe not about leaving the EU itself, but I’m pretty certain there was stuff all throughout the 2000’s about ratifying the Lisbon treaty and holding a referendum on that. I mean, I was 6 years old in 2000 so not sure on details but I seem to remember it being on the news. To say our relationship with the EU wasn’t a political issue before 2015  is wild. 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

1 minute ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

I'm only pointing out two examples to someone who didn't think the issue was in any manifesto prior to 2015.

Fair enough.  EU membership has been an issue amongst one or more of the political parties since time began.

I also suspect that if you asked the general public, they would have an opinion too - even if only loosely.

However, it is only since 2015 that it really reach fever pitch, with a large number of people being absolutely adamant about the issue one way or the other.

4 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Fair enough.  EU membership has been an issue amongst one or more of the political parties since time began.

I also suspect that if you asked the general public, they would have an opinion too - even if only loosely.

However, it is only since 2015 that it really reach fever pitch, with a large number of people being absolutely adamant about the issue one way or the other.

That's a different slant, and is probably right, but not what was originally asked.

Just now, welshbairn said:

Polls prior to the referendum announcement had the EU right down the bottom of priorities of those polled. It was a manufactured issue by the Tory Party and UKIP.

And the right-wing press.  This is what happened. We all live on the same planet, we all know this to be true.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

What about the issue of joining the euro, didn't that raise significant discussion about membership in general?

I don't remember that, just the usual talk like before decimalisation about it all being a con to put up prices.

Leaving the EU just isn't and never has been an "extremist" position. There are dozens of issues which historically have not generally been high on people's priorities and haven't always had popular support but come up at certain points and people take positions on them as they arise which nobody in their right mind would call extremist. Gay marriage being one.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I don't remember that, just the usual talk like before decimalisation about it all being a con to put up prices.

I regret getting involved in one of Pep's brain farts already. I've been aware of UK/GB/England having issues about Europe since I was in History and Modern Studies classes.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Polls prior to the referendum announcement had the EU right down the bottom of priorities of those polled. It was a manufactured issue by the Tory Party and UKIP.

I would hazard a guess that “immigration” would be right at the top though. And that’s what the Leave vote is really about for a lot of people.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Probably because prior to 2016 those who opposed/questioned/were ambivalent to EU membership had nowhere to express their concerns, as all the major parties were in favour of retaining our membership (albeit with dissenters within their ranks).