Season a write off?

20 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Question at today’s First Minister's press conference about whether football should be allowed to continue. Apparently Dalbeattie Star want to stop playing but don’t want to do this unilaterally as they fear being punished by the Lowland League. 

When you look at the English scenario where more and more clubs are being affected , I think we seem to be coping with the situation a lot better.  Celtic apart, I think all clubs are doing their best to make matchdays and training as safe as they can. 

I see the juniors have shut down till the end of this month which is probably because of the limited facilities or the work involved trying to implement a safe system. 

Personally  I wouldn't like to see any football shut down as it offers a wee release from the daily depression of this pandemic....................... Even the weekly depression of my team getting beat is preferable to no football at all. 

9 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

When you look at the English scenario where more and more clubs are being affected , I think we seem to be coping with the situation a lot better.  Celtic apart, I think all clubs are doing their best to make matchdays and training as safe as they can. 

I see the juniors have shut down till the end of this month which is probably because of the limited facilities or the work involved trying to implement a safe system. 

Personally  I wouldn't like to see any football shut down as it offers a wee release from the daily depression of this pandemic....................... Even the weekly depression of my team getting beat is preferable to no football at all. 

I'm sure other sectors would like the chance to "do their best" but they can't. Explain to me what is essential about lower league football and the travel involved. Best in mind cheering you up a bit isn't essential.

15 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'm sure other sectors would like the chance to "do their best" but they can't. Explain to me what is essential about lower league football and the travel involved. Best in mind cheering you up a bit isn't essential.

Just a fan's opinion but it appears that most senior clubs are doing a good job and until it is proven that lower league football is a danger to society as a whole then I feel it should continue. 

As for the travel part, players and officials of all clubs have a strict travel plan ( Celtic apart ) . They go straight to the ground where they are guided to their allocated changing area. Play the game and come straight home. No mixing with anyone or anything outside the football ground .  All changing facilities are thoroughly cleaned after each game . 

We have to learn to live with this virus after all because it is not going to disappear . 

Personally I prefer a bit of cheering up now and again . 

Edited by theoriginalhedge

I’m not sure about the idea that lower league clubs in Scotland have better protocols than lower league teams in England. The new variant is spreading northwards and I wouldn’t be surprised if more players and officials in Scotland get the virus in coming weeks. Hope I’m wrong but we could see more and more games off and football struggling under the weight of this or government moves to shut football down in response. It’s week to week now I recon.

looks like the football authorities may not have a plan b for dealing with a prematurely ended season. Hope that’s wrong - can we all face 6 months of Hearts and Kelly hearts denied promotion, Brechin automatically demoted after playing a handful of games, rangers denied the league, celtic moving to Middle East permanently. Am I wrong - have plans been put in place?

maybe this season should have been 2 rounds of games instead of 3, with no league cup and every 3rd or 4th Saturday left empty as spare weeks to allow for cancelled games being rearranged - in the lower leagues anyway. Hey ho, c’est la vie

2 minutes ago, true fan said:

I’m not sure about the idea that lower league clubs in Scotland have better protocols than lower league teams in England. The new variant is spreading northwards and I wouldn’t be surprised if more players and officials in Scotland get the virus in coming weeks. Hope I’m wrong but we could see more and more games off and football struggling under the weight of this or government moves to shut football down in response. It’s week to week now I recon.

looks like the football authorities may not have a plan b for dealing with a prematurely ended season. Hope that’s wrong - can we all face 6 months of Hearts and Kelly hearts denied promotion, Brechin automatically demoted after playing a handful of games, rangers denied the league, celtic moving to Middle East permanently. Am I wrong - have plans been put in place?

maybe this season should have been 2 rounds of games instead of 3, with no league cup and every 3rd or 4th Saturday left empty as spare weeks to allow for cancelled games being rearranged - in the lower leagues anyway. Hey ho, c’est la vie

I'll go a step further. I don't think lower and non league clubs here have the resources to properly implement the protocols. It'll be a wing and a prayer. "Bigger" part time leagues in England have already voted to suspend the season.

Guest The Phoenix
16 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'll go a step further. I don't think lower and non league clubs here have the resources to properly implement the protocols. It'll be a wing and a prayer. "Bigger" part time leagues in England have already voted to suspend the season.

That's grossly unfair on Stirling Albion and, based on albeit limited experience, of other SPFL2 Clubs.

Aside from testing, our Covid Protocols are the match of the Premiership in theory and in practice based  on our Ross County experience (no criticism of them intended) 

18 minutes ago, The Phoenix said:

That's grossly unfair on Stirling Albion and, based on albeit limited experience, of other SPFL2 Clubs.

Aside from testing, our Covid Protocols are the match of the Premiership in theory and in practice based  on our Ross County experience (no criticism of them intended) 

Fair enough, further down the divisions will be a bit more erratic. The additional problem with part time football is the limited control you can have over the players and staff away from the environment you can manage.

Stirling and Brechin fans might think their clubs are doing a great job. I’m sure they are trying really hard and fair play to them but there’s a viral pandemic sweeping the world and the only things that will conquer it are: time, vaccines (and/or herd immunity from those infected) and EXTREME social measures - far beyond what football clubs are doing

Guest The Phoenix
28 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Fair enough, further down the divisions will be a bit more erratic. The additional problem with part time football is the limited control you can have over the players and staff away from the environment you can manage.

Cheers. 

Highlighted - not something limited to part time football given the well publicised occurrences at full time Clubs.  

1 hour ago, The Phoenix said:

Absolutely agree with above as far as Elgin are concerned. They have bent over backwards to do everything they were asked to do and extra.

17 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Absolutely agree with above as far as Elgin are concerned. They have bent over backwards to do everything they were asked to do and extra.

Totally agree.

From what I have learned, Scottish football (Celtic apart)  is one of the most compliant industries . Much more so than supermarkets who have let their standards slip ,especially around Christmas . Perhaps that is more to do with the rising figures. 

I will say again that we will all have to learn to live with this virus as it is going to be a permanent fixture . In my opinion football is doing its bit and to come into the headlines and be targeted just because of the selfishness of one club is grossly unfair. 

21 hours ago, true fan said:

Stirling and Brechin fans might think their clubs are doing a great job. I’m sure they are trying really hard and fair play to them but there’s a viral pandemic sweeping the world and the only things that will conquer it are: time, vaccines (and/or herd immunity from those infected) and EXTREME social measures - far beyond what football clubs are doing

Sorry but , people being people ,  no amount of social measures are going to combat this. Two  lockdowns have already proven that .  Hopefully the vaccines will start to slow down the spread and the herd immunity factor will have an effect.  

Basically though, people have to live their lives.  Even through the TB epidemic  and the Spanish flu  ( which was not too different to the covid 19 ) there was no hint of shutting everything down as they are now. 

I am no conspiracy theorist but I am beginning to take more notice of the "worldwide reset " idea floating about in some quarters and wonder how many social liberties and overall freedom we will have once ( or if ) this virus is ever brought under control. 

44 minutes ago, true fan said:

Maybe your hedge has antiviral properties

As much chance as any of our governments making consistent or progressive headway with the pandamic I suppose. 

A group of assorted people from all walks of life can all travel to another part of the country to meet up with another group of assorted people, to play a game together with isn’t even their main employment, along with all the other requirements for the game to go ahead (committee, security, ground staff, physios and so on).

Meanwhile, a member of the public can’t visit his/her parents in their 80s who are nervous about going out to the shop. The guy who is worried he may have cancer can’t get his appointment for a scan and the hope of early detection. The woman in agony and needs a hip replacement is told it’s not happening now due to a backlog, it may happen at the end of this year, maybe.

😔

3 hours ago, big al said:

A group of assorted people from all walks of life can all travel to another part of the country to meet up with another group of assorted people, to play a game together with isn’t even their main employment, along with all the other requirements for the game to go ahead (committee, security, ground staff, physios and so on).

Meanwhile, a member of the public can’t visit his/her parents in their 80s who are nervous about going out to the shop. The guy who is worried he may have cancer can’t get his appointment for a scan and the hope of early detection. The woman in agony and needs a hip replacement is told it’s not happening now due to a backlog, it may happen at the end of this year, maybe.

😔

Yep I agree with the latter part and that is scandalous. I have family working in the NHS who can't believe the decisions being made by politicians. Whether they are right or wrong is up for debate.  Possibly it might be best for the  football  authorities to stop everything voluntarily to show solidarity for the general public . But there again who is right or wrong?  

So many opinions , so many consequences.  So many questions . Does the country need to fall into deep depression ? Is it all a controlling scheme?  Is the virus controlable? Does isolation actually work ?   Nobody seems to know. It is all a guessing game at the moment.  

5 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Yep I agree with the latter part and that is scandalous. I have family working in the NHS who can't believe the decisions being made by politicians. Whether they are right or wrong is up for debate.  Possibly it might be best for the  football  authorities to stop everything voluntarily to show solidarity for the general public . But there again who is right or wrong?  

So many opinions , so many consequences.  So many questions . Does the country need to fall into deep depression ? Is it all a controlling scheme?  Is the virus controlable? Does isolation actually work ?   Nobody seems to know. It is all a guessing game at the moment.  

No it isn't.

2 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Reports this morning suggesting lower leagues might be heading for a ban, ironically because of the behaviour of Celtic staff and players during their Dubai holiday. 

This is the problem .  People please themselves . Society is the same . This pandemic is here to stay. 

Why just the lower leagues ?  Fucking ridiculous if true. 

Edited by theoriginalhedge