Aberdeen v Rangers - 10th Jan

7 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Times are changing, pal.

Course they are but it’s a tool for clubs to use, not regular punters or pundits who don’t have the expertise or wider context for it to be any kind of a valuable basis to judge a game or team on.

2 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Course they are but it’s a tool for clubs to use, not regular punters or pundits who don’t have the expertise or wider context for it to be any kind of a valuable basis to judge a game or team on.

hell of a take, this.

2 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

I knew it only had a 0.15 chance of meeting your approval.

I've a question: if only experts are able to place football statistics into proper context, how come club analytics departments are almost entirely staffed by people who started out recording and interpreting football statistics for a hobby?

The idea that you need a maths degree to understand a basic linear regression model is... well, it's something.

3 minutes ago, G51 said:

I've a question: if only experts are able to place football statistics into proper context, how come club analytics departments are almost entirely staffed by people who started out recording and interpreting football statistics for a hobby?

Because presumably they would be considered experts now, no?

1 minute ago, Rodhull said:

Because presumably they would be considered experts now, no?

So they had no idea what they were doing right up until they were officially hired, at which point they became experts?

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

So they had no idea what they were doing right up until they were officially hired, at which point they became experts?

Did I say that? The wide use of xG is a relatively recent phenomenon isn’t it? You would imagine if everyone that does it now professionally started as a hobbyist then they must have been considered an expert at it to be hired in the first place? Is there some kind of trainee scheme where they all learned their trade before the clubs let them loose at the first team?

I just don’t find amateurs on a forum, podcast, radio whatever regurgitating someone else’s figures without much of a wider context particularly interesting sorry. It may be more analytical or intelligent than your old school ‘get into them’ or ‘they didn’t show any passion’ type punditry but it’s still really, really fucking boring.

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

My theory is that most folk who obsess over xG and suchlike aren't actually very bright, so over-analysing and intellectualising football matches is their way of compensating for that and making themselves feel smarter than they actually are. 

Incoming from Perth...